Check your account email address ×

Natural selection. Wisconsin snowmobile deaths.

Just now, racer254 said:

There are posted speed limits on all the trails around me.  And when operating on the roadway, you must obey the road speed limit.

I agree, where posted, we have none of that here except when going thru Towns.

17 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Agreed.   Over confidence in rider and sled ability is the main culprit.   Well besides alcohol.  

Not so sure trails closing at a certain time of day wouldn't be considered.  12:30 or 1 am trails close for the night until 7am.   I know the groomer operators would appreciate it.   Bar owners would piss and moan.   

When I lived in SE Wisconsin it was 2 am in my area.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Curious for those that trail ride ATV/UTV's....does the same thing happen where people don't stay on their side of the trail and close calls with half of those you meet?

I can't imagine riding some of the trails on sleds in the St. Germain area.   Barely seem wide enough for 1 UTV much less 2.  

No different than any sport its most important to police ourselves.   I don't want my tax dollars paying for cops all over our sport.   There are more important things for them to be doing.   Sadly in every sport there are fucking moron's.....just so happens with sledding the percentage is too fucking high.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Highmark said:

Curious for those that trail ride ATV/UTV's....does the same thing happen where people don't stay on their side of the trail and close calls with half of those you meet?

I can't imagine riding some of the trails on sleds in the St. Germain area.   Barely seem wide enough for 1 UTV much less 2.  

Some areas have width limits for ATV/SXS's some here are 50"..in many areas here we widened the trails quite a lot so the passing has gotten much safer..Wheeled vehicles, at least in this area are now out-selling sleds by 4 to 1, I believe it's do to Winters becoming shorter with less snow, some trails here are dual use so you can ride wheeled vehicles any time except in the early Spring melt, myself, I stay off the trails with ATV's except for some Forest Roads and Town roads.

17 minutes ago, bussman said:

It sucks when you have a work schedule that makes weekends the only real time you can ride. 

Yep. Its why I like to get out early and get in around dark. I know you can see oncoming sleds better after dark but the yahoos typically get started later.  

16 minutes ago, Highmark said:

No different than any sport its most important to police ourselves.   I don't want my tax dollars paying for cops all over our sport.   There are more important things for them to be doing.   Sadly in every sport there are fucking moron's.....just so happens with sledding the percentage is too fucking high.  

Agree 100%

11 minutes ago, Highmark said:

We've done alot of atv riding over the years and it has never been as bad with getting hit as it has with sleds. We were on a tight/twisty single track trail last fall and some goof with a sxs was on my ass fkn braaaping it like I'm supposed to move over for him. I've got my buddies 8 yr old grandson in the sxs and the little guy asks what the Sport/eco switch was for. I said it's for mudholes and when we get to one the guy behind will get some mud. It took two mudholes and he backed off lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Seems the only people getting killed up north are people from Wisconsin and Illinois.

Sorry but these fucking idiots are going to put more laws on the books hurting the sport for the rest of us.   

Fuck is it that hard not to drink or SLOW THE FUCK DOWN after you have a few.  :wall:

Rode Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in the St. Germain area last week and by Friday it was retard day on the trails.  Fuck its sad how many people don't know how to drive a snowmobile.  

2 in that area this weekend plus one not far away in Mercer.   All 3 FIB's.  5 of the 17 this year.  

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/snowmobile/fatalitySummary/snowCurrent.pdf

Idiots have a state line now?

The worst offenders are these dipshits who are trying to ride crossover sleds on the trail like a sled with a wide front end. I almost got smoked by a fuck head riding a switchback assault. Just north of Seney you have to go up a hill after crossing a bridge the guy was heading up the hill and didn't make the corner. He was on my side and had I not been going slow myself we would've hit head-on.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

Wisconsin Lawmakers have talked about speed limits 24 hours a day, it probably will come to that eventually.

NH has a 24 hr speed limit of 45. That's why I never ride NH on weekends when  fish and game are abundant.

1 hour ago, Anler said:

Yep. Its why I like to get out early and get in around dark. I know you can see oncoming sleds better after dark but the yahoos typically get started later.  

:thumb:

1 hour ago, jtssrx said:

The worst offenders are these dipshits who are trying to ride crossover sleds on the trail like a sled with a wide front end. I almost got smoked by a fuck head riding a switchback assault. Just north of Seney you have to go up a hill after crossing a bridge the guy was heading up the hill and didn't make the corner. He was on my side and had I not been going slow myself we would've hit head-on.  

Those guys on Assaults are the worse..............

• Like 1

The thought of some boozer coming at me at 90 on a Maine Trail is not too appealing. Once you're crippled or dead, you can't do anything to the motherfukker if he lives, and you're crippled for life. 

The states won't stop the carnage because there's TOO MUCH MONEY IN IT!!!

Maine's economy is based on TOURISM, not lobsters or timber. 

So, if a few idiots FROM AWAY, or home-grown jerks croak 10 miles in the woods of Millinocket....WHO THE FUCK CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!