Check your account email address ×

Suzuki Cat 800 longetivity

Just now, Ez ryder said:

time will tell not even close to time on the snow for that call . but I highly doubt it .

I bet failure rates are similar and the 850 etec us 10x the motor

My experience with Suzuki motors as follows:

2000 ZR 700-- 13,800 miles when sold.  Was beginning to start a little hard on super cold days but running strong.

2002 Z570 Fanner-- Bought new and still have.  Will roll to 7000 this year.

2004 F7--  Bought new and still have. Might hit the 10000 mark this year.  Strong as ever.  380 hours.

2005 Z370 Fanner.  Bought with 400 miles sold last fall with 4200.

2006 Sabercat 500-- Bought used with about 5000 miles.  9000 by end of season.  Starts and runs perfect.  450 hours.

No motor work on any machine.

Always used and always will use Cat oil but the biggest thing in my opinion is proper warm up and shut down.

If compression was decent and the same on both sides the motor will be the last thing that needs work.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jdels said:

My experience with Suzuki motors as follows:

2000 ZR 700-- 13,800 miles when sold.  Was beginning to start a little hard on super cold days but running strong.

2002 Z570 Fanner-- Bought new and still have.  Will roll to 7000 this year.

2004 F7--  Bought new and still have. Might hit the 10000 mark this year.  Strong as ever.  380 hours.

2005 Z370 Fanner.  Bought with 400 miles sold last fall with 4200.

2006 Sabercat 500-- Bought used with about 5000 miles.  9000 by end of season.  Starts and runs perfect.  450 hours.

No motor work on any machine.

Always used and always will use Cat oil but the biggest thing in my opinion is proper warm up and shut down.

If compression was decent and the same on both sides the motor will be the last thing that needs work.

Proper warm up is huge so many tards don't do it. 

Oh I'm just moving it off the trailer...so what still should be warm before you move it 

Ill play along.

2000 zr 700- dad gave it to me with 7500 miles on it lots of recoil work and new clutches put on. Biggest gas and oil pig ever. Had the buddy tank in it and still struggled to get 90 miles running hard. Put a hole in the case with 10k miles on it the second season I had it.

2002 zr 800cc- bought it off a friend 10 years ago for 2k with 2500 miles on it. Put 4k trouble free miles on it and sold it to a friend and he needed a rebuild at 8k miles. Still rides it today.

2004 700 sabercat lx- I got after 1 season and 2800 miles on it and he hated the 13.5" track. I put 2k on it and it blew the oil line off and needed a top and bottom end. 

2005 t660- dad bought and put 18k miles on and small issues like axle bearings and jackshaft failures at 5k miles. New fuel pump at 12k miles. Sold it a few years ago.

2005 t660 st- bought myself used with 2k miles. Put 16k miles on it and it stuck a valve and needed a rebuild. Sold it to the same friend and he still rides it too.

2014 ZR 7000- starter motor at 600 miles, cracked oil reservoir at 2k miles, cracked chaincase at 4k miles, primary clutch at 5k miles. Sold with 6k to a friend.

2017 ZR 8000- 4600 miles with zero issues rather then just being a dog. 

5 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

So the 800 Suzuki is bulletproof nobody has denied that.  How is the clutching? 

I had 2 Cats from the 90's and I had to put primary clutches on both of them.  

Clutching doesn’t matter.  Just keep modding the motor.  Heard it here!

LOL...I’m sure you’ll need to go through and do some rebuilding if you want the clutches working efficiently.  Why are you acting like you don’t know your way around a sled anymore?  Did you have a stroke or something?  :lol:

7 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

I’ve found them to wear at similar rates to doo. Maybe slower 

96 mxz 440– all the motors 

03 rev 600, one top end in 600 miles 

04 rev 800 HO,  2-3 top ends in 2000 miles

05 Mach Z, one top end, my fault. Buddy gave me a thermostat kit and I didn’t internet it and those kits were killing the motors 

08 XP 800, one top end in 1800 miles 

09 1200, no issues but wore out primary 

16 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

LOL...I’m sure you’ll need to go through and do some rebuilding if you want the clutches working efficiently.  Why are you acting like you don’t know your way around a sled anymore?  Did you have a stroke or something?  :lol:

I'm a doo guy so I'm used to crankshafts splitting in half.  I'm done with that kind of thing.

14 minutes ago, ACE said:

I’ve found them to wear at similar rates to doo. Maybe slower 

That isn't bad at all then.

34 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yep. You can add 100hp. No clutching required!

2 hours ago, Reevester said:

Ill play along.

2000 zr 700- dad gave it to me with 7500 miles on it lots of recoil work and new clutches put on. Biggest gas and oil pig ever. Had the buddy tank in it and still struggled to get 90 miles running hard. Put a hole in the case with 10k miles on it the second season I had it.

2002 zr 800cc- bought it off a friend 10 years ago for 2k with 2500 miles on it. Put 4k trouble free miles on it and sold it to a friend and he needed a rebuild at 8k miles. Still rides it today.

2004 700 sabercat lx- I got after 1 season and 2800 miles on it and he hated the 13.5" track. I put 2k on it and it blew the oil line off and needed a top and bottom end. 

2005 t660- dad bought and put 18k miles on and small issues like axle bearings and jackshaft failures at 5k miles. New fuel pump at 12k miles. Sold it a few years ago.

2005 t660 st- bought myself used with 2k miles. Put 16k miles on it and it stuck a valve and needed a rebuild. Sold it to the same friend and he still rides it too.

2014 ZR 7000- starter motor at 600 miles, cracked oil reservoir at 2k miles, cracked chaincase at 4k miles, primary clutch at 5k miles. Sold with 6k to a friend.

2017 ZR 8000- 4600 miles with zero issues rather then just being a dog. 

that would be the tuners fault . most would guess a old doo guy who thought they knew about clutching but then they found out paying a dealer for a new belt was not clutching 

2 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

at 5k  they prob both need some attention as well as the 5 pinion bearing in the DD.not to expensive or that  hard to do if your dad is a TV repair man with a great set of tools 

5 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

that would be the tuners fault . most would guess a old doo guy who thought they knew about clutching but then they found out paying a dealer for a new belt was not clutching 

Rebuilt several of the clutches. Broken sheaves and spyders are tough rebuilds when some of them like the t660 clutches were only sold as a complete clutch. 

Can't decipher the rest of you're jibberish.