Check your account email address ×

Are jobs in construction, trades and utilities good jobs

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Same here. I'm 55, 35 years in swimming pool construction. Some aches and pains but if I was a truck driver my belly would be touching the steering wheel.

Gees, I can't imagine that. Most trades around here are getting $30/hr plus, big union shops are $35/hr plus. Truck drivers are getting $20-25/hr.

Hell, I'm paying $20/hr for unskilled labourers and can't get them to stay. I'm thinking I will need to pay  $23/hr minimum this coming season and more for anyone with a brain.

out here in northern b.c. ticketed tradesmen are minimum 35 and most low-mid forties

29 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Right from a UAW break room. :flush:Nobody works harder on a job site,than a demo crew.

Considering were one of only 2 Ford plants in the entire company that still do ALL of our own demo and install , yea we do. Once AGAIN, you don't have the slightest fucking clue what you're talking about, fucking dumb cunt 

Edited by SVT MXZ XRS

11 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

We sure do build a lot of cars and trucks for a bunch of lazy fucks.  

The cars build themselves, you know we just sit around smoking cigarettes and drinking beer all day at the break table :bc:

5 hours ago, TallCool 1 said:

I am a commercial and Industrial HVAC technician in eastern Ontario and I would not recommend anyone getting into a trade we keep hearing high demand and high paying jobs. I have not seen  pay raise in over 15 years I'm constantly being told to do unsafe or immoral thinks so my employer can make a few extra bucks. My son just completed is apprenticeship in another trade is it now working for a 3rd company having the same experiences I have had for the last 35 years. It upsets me when I see advertisement telling young people there is excellent money in trades that just isn't the case. Another family member just quit his job as a car mechanic for a new car dealership with 30 years experience he was able to go out and drive transport and make more money and everyone knows how much money there is in driving transport these days.

why are you still working for someone else ? best part of the trades is how ez it is to hang your own shingle on the door after you are licenced and experienced.  I bet your boss is doing more than just fine . 

could be a diff story in CA I  have no idea . 

1 hour ago, yami123 said:

The cars build themselves, you know we just sit around smoking cigarettes and drinking beer all day at the break table :bc:

Just now, yami123 said:

Even got our own cots for the 4 hour negotiated nap time :bc:

:lmao::lol:

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

sweet,   I took a nice 20 minute nap at my desk today.  tough having to work 5 days this week.  I haven't worked 35 hours in 6-7 weeks now.  

On site is rarely less than 10 hr days, 7;days a week.  

EVERONE i know around me in the HVAC field does very well, if they want too.  they Do tend to hate it after a while from being too busy all the time.

Same as some of yous, 57 been in the trades since high school started farming before that.. and i Am pretty beat up (broken over 34 bones to date) but still in better condition than a long time pencil pusher of the same age.

Edited by old indy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Woodtick said:

So do Mexicans with no education in Mexico. What’s your point?

Mexicans are harder workers too. We used to work at the Ford plant on 126th and Torrence. Bunch of dindus and lazy fucks in there. Same thing at the old gm lectro motive plant we tore down back in 99. I'll take a Mexican truck please!

You can make a living and raise a family on a trade job. It's better if you are in a union so you get health insurance and a pension. I know in some right to work states they make sub $15 and no benefits. May as well bag groceries for that pay. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Neither of my boys are going into the trades and I have no problem with that. They were both my summer laborers as teenagers. The hardest thing about construction is the toll on the body. I’m banged up as fuck. Lol. Shoulder,knee,back,feet surgeries. I spent to much time working for someone else and was always willing to sacrifice the body for the check. Paying for it now. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Anler said:

You can make a living and raise a family on a trade job. It's better if you are in a union so you get health insurance and a pension. I know in some right to work states they make sub $15 and no benefits. May as well bag groceries for that pay. 

We pay teachers of preapprentice lineman in my right to work state $50+ An hour plus all the bennies.  My power provider has better retirement and health and union level wages in my right to work state.

but you aren’t making the union construction wages overall which is $200-$300k plus the per Diem that you make as Union construction