Check your account email address ×

GM pulling out of NASCAR?

Pete

Just now, Pete said:

Even during the season at Stafford speedway, if there isn't a special show the stands are somewhat empty

Used to go to MIS every year for quite awhile & always watched races. Seen Mark Martin, Jarret, Gordon, Dale Sr & Rusty (I think?) win there. Great times & good racing.

13 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

No shit huh. Still open headers on tracks around here.

That's cool.

yup every car from top tier modified cars to street stock has to run approved mufflers.

Street stock cars are very quiet. My Nova is louder 

Edited by Pete

• Platinum Contributing Member

They had to move away from Winston whether you like it or not and unfortunately old drivers retire and eventually die. Same with Bill France Jr....he wasn’t going to live forever.

This is bad news.  I’ve never been a fan of NASCAR but, losing a brand in any Motorsport is painful and can be devastating.

Like mentioned, all televised sports have changed so much in the last couple of decades. They’ve all done well in growth but now, I think the decisions being made to try and make them more “inclusive” or more “fair” or more “pc” or whatever is changing these sports and driving the hardcore fan bases away or, otherwise making them fairly “meh...” about the sport they loved.  Some leagues, racing orgs are reacting well to the base loss and returning to their roots quickly, some aren’t.  To slow to turn (too big or too stupid)?  See NFL, MLB, NASCAR, etc.....

Sad.

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

They had to move away from Winston whether you like it or not and unfortunately old drivers retire and eventually die. Same with Bill France Jr....he wasn’t going to live forever.

Now they have to deal with the EPA bitching, the rebel flag, Gun control? They are getting sucked in to the politics and it sucks big time.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Now they have to deal with the EPA bitching, the rebel flag, Gun control? They are getting sucked in to the politics and it sucks big time.

Like a lot of things the core older fans are dying off and younger fans aren’t taking their place. Going to race is pretty much a whole weekend deal and there are just too many other things to do on a summer weekend besides sweating your balls off in the grandstands of a Nascar Track. They are downsizing venues are far as seating is concerned and trying to reduce costs for drivers and fans alike...remains to be seen what will happen going forward.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Used to go to MIS every year for quite awhile & always watched races. Seen Mark Martin, Jarret, Gordon, Dale Sr & Rusty (I think?) win there. Great times & good racing.

We went to MIS two years in a row and had a bus in the infield....IIRC it was 2002-2003. Went down Wednesday night and came home Monday morning...what a fucking drunken weekend those were. 🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

We went to MIS two years in a row and had a bus in the infield....IIRC it was 2002-2003. Went down Wednesday night and came home Monday morning...what a fucking drunken weekend those were. 🤣

lst time i went to the races i drank a bottle of rum and ripped some hits with breakfast,  passed out and walked into the seats as the flyover happened.  CKF was shocked i made it in.  

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Like a lot of things the core older fans are dying off and younger fans aren’t taking their place. Going to race is pretty much a whole weekend deal and there are just too many other things to do on a summer weekend besides sweating your balls off in the grandstands of a Nascar Track. They are downsizing venues are far as seating is concerned and trying to reduce costs for drivers and fans alike...remains to be seen what will happen going forward.

THey need to make it interesting again. 

Restrictor plates and green / white checkered makes for boring racing.

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

THey need to make it interesting again. 

Restrictor plates and green / white checkered makes for boring racing.

I agree and some tracks are just boring...MIS has become a fuel mileage race along with a few others like Fontana. Lose the plates, give back the HP on all tracks, reduce downforce and let the drivers drive the fucking things. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I agree and some tracks are just boring...MIS has become a fuel mileage race along with a few others like Fontana. Lose the plates, give back the HP on all tracks, reduce downforce and let the drivers drive the fucking things. 

LOuden can be a snoozer too. Ive actually fallen asleep in the stands. But if ya want me to give up 3 hrs on a gorgeous summer day, make the finish worth my while.