Check your account email address ×

Possible polar vortex for mid december

Anler

• Platinum Contributing Member

Give some time for the Mississippi to drop.   Last year it just got good and the CoE let some more water down which got on top of or pushed up thru the ice causing a slushy mess.   Backwaters are unbelievably fun to ride.  30 miles between locks with little channels everywhere.   

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Give some time for the Mississippi to drop.   Last year it just got good and the CoE let some more water down which got on top of or pushed up thru the ice causing a slushy mess.   Backwaters are unbelievably fun to ride.  30 miles between locks with little channels everywhere.   

That does sound like fun.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

That does sound like fun.

Two years ago we rode the Galena river right up into Galena from the Mississippi.   Really cool old town.   Hard to believe its a part of Illinois. :lol:  Type in Galena, Il in Google and look at the river coming into town and the Mississippi going north and south.   The backwaters are insanely fun.   We cross the main channel if its good to get to a few bars but generally just stay near its edge if on the main.   Really only ride the Illinois side.   

giphy (3).gif

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

If you can stand the small town shopping thing great place to take the wife.   Lots of little shops line the streets.   Some great restaurants and bars too.   About 2 hours from Chicago right on hwy 20.  They do a night of lights where they line the streets with candles in popcorn bags.   Really cool.  

download (5).jpg

https___cdn.evbuc.com_images_72363017_276193114414_1_original.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 168hp CAT 800 said:

I think last winter was the coldest temps I experienced 

It was the coldest riding year I've ever had. Got myself frostbite more times than I can count lol

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It was the coldest riding year I've ever had. Got myself frostbite more times than I can count lol

Was so cold here one morning last year the only thing that would start was our old 380 fan sled. The seat was like riding a chunk of ice and it was all it could do to get the track spinning. 

Damn it gets cold where you guys are. Only thing im riding at -30 is the fucking couch...Most of our winter is spent between 10-30*, perfect riding weather..

• Like 1