Check your account email address ×

Chevy And GMC Are In Big Trouble Over Diesel Engines

3 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Emissions is the DPF and SCR systems.  Fuel pumps that are being chewed up are not emissions.  Not the emission equipment

pre emission diesels run fine on the ultra low sulphur diesel without issue.

Increasing hp to these levels require a lot of tech in the engine....  all emission systems are after treatments....

Back off the hp and you could get by with more reliable engine components.

Throw the emissions in the garbage and get same results.

It's killing reliability and longevity.

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, awful knawful said:

Throw the emissions in the garbage and get same results.

It's killing reliability and longevity.

Throw the emissions in the garbage and you still have the unreliable fuel pump in 2011 to 2017 duramaxes ....  I agree.

but turn up a pre dpf and def diesels to today’s power levels they are unreliable pieces of crap more so then these new high power diesels.

• Gold Member

What exactly has DPF and scr done to make a modern diesel unreliable????  Other then maybe a plugged dpf filter or a corroded def injector they are just after treatments that treat the exhaust for pollutants.  not really engine related.

Edited by BOHICA
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Throw the emissions in the garbage and you still have the unreliable fuel pump in 2011 to 2017 duramaxes ....  I agree.

but turn up a pre dpf and def diesels to today’s power levels they are unreliable pieces of crap more so then these new high power diesels.

GM fuel pumps have been bad for alot longer than that

• Haha 1

Chevron makes the best all encompassing diesel fuel reference.  Here is what they have to say.

https://www.chevron.com/-/media/chevron/operations/documents/diesel-fuel-tech-review.pdf

Lubricity

Some moving parts of diesel fuel pumps and injectors are protected from wear by the fuel. To avoid excessive wear, the fuel must have some minimum level of lubricity. Lubricity is the ability to reduce friction between solid surfaces in relative motion. The lubrication mechanism is a combination of hydrodynamic lubrication and boundary lubrication. In hydrodynamic lubrication, a layer of liquid prevents contact between the opposing surfaces. For diesel fuel pumps and injectors, the liquid is the fuel itself and viscosity is the key fuel property. Fuels with higher viscosities will provide better hydrodynamic lubrication. Diesel fuels with viscosities within the ASTM D 975 specification range provide adequate hydrodynamic lubrication. Boundary lubrication becomes important when high load and/or low speed have squeezed out much of the liquid that provides hydrodynamic lubrication, leaving small areas of the opposing surfaces in contact. Boundary lubricants are compounds that form a protective anti-wear layer by adhering to the solid surfaces.

The less-processed diesel fuels of the past were good boundary lubricants. This was not caused by the hydrocarbons that constitute the bulk of the fuel, but was attributed to trace amounts of oxygen- and nitrogen-containing compounds and certain classes of aromatic compounds. Evidence for the role of trace quantities is the fact that the lubricity of a fuel can be restored with the addition of as little as 10 parts per million (ppm) of an additive. Lubricity enhancing compounds are naturally present in diesel fuel derived from petroleum crude by distillation. They can be altered or changed by hydrotreating, the process used to reduce sulfur and aromatic contents. However, lowering sulfur or aromatics, per se, does not necessarily lower fuel lubricity. The use of fuels with poor lubricity can increase fuel pump and injector wear and, at the extreme, cause catastrophic failure. Such failures occurred in Sweden in 1991 when two classes of “city” diesel (with very low sulfur and aromatics contents) were mandated. Heavy hydrotreating was needed to make these fuels. The problem was solved by treating the fuel with a lubricity additive. As regions regulate lower sulfur levels, mostly accomplished with more severe hydrotreating, the general trend is lower levels of lubricity in unfinished, unadditized fuels. The additized finished fuel in the market, however, should have adequate lubricity because of the fuel specifications in place. Various laboratory test methods exist to determine fuel lubricity. One method widely used is the high frequency reciprocating rig (HFRR). Many regions of the world have fuel specifications based on this test method. (See Chapter 5 – Diesel Fuel and Biodiesel Fuel Specifications and Test Methods.)

18 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

This is completely false. Well maybe its true for the ford 6.0 and 6.4.

Yes, it will probably make them LESS reliable than stock, but pieces of crap is bullshit.

The thing thats makes them unreliable is morons not knowing what a fucking EGT gauge is. Or understanding if you add more fuel, you HAVE to air more air or the fucking pistons melt.

The pre emissions diesels are built just as stout as any diesel sold today.

5 minutes ago, Anler said:

The bosch CP4 came out in 2011. It went on GMs and Fords. Ram stayed with the CP3 and didnt have issues.

The reason why GM had a FEW fuel issues before then, which btw did not cause major damage, was they did not have a lift pump in the fuel tank.

If you fucktards are going to talk shit, you should know what the fuck you are talking about.

Or just shit to talking shit about politics....

• Gold Member
10 minutes ago, Anler said:

Only been completely stranded by a diesel four times in my life....  

5.9 24 valve cummins.  Lift pump and injection pump shit the bed,  4 speed automatic lost its guts on me

6.7 cummins ram 5500 left me stranded with a transfer case explosion at 78 mph on the freeway.

ford 550 diesel 6.7 I lost a transfer case as well.  Didn’t exploded but sound like marbles in a dryer so pulled over a got a tow truck.

gms aren’t reliable enough to drive 

Edited by BOHICA

14 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

What exactly has DPF and scr done to make a modern diesel unreliable????  Other then maybe a plugged dpf filter or a corroded def injector they are just after treatments that treat the exhaust for pollutants.  not really engine related.

Lots.  DPFs need maintenance and/or replacements.  A modern diesel shouldn't be idled as there is no passive regeneration of the DPF.  Forced regens can bring it back in line but waste a lot of fuel.

SCR systems need the DEF tank, pump, dosing, and mixing.  The SCR can foul out and need replacing although less frequently than a DPF.  

All of this is run with a complicated system of computers, programming, controls, and sensors.  If any one of these isn't work correctly it may go into limp mode.

This doesn't even begin to start talking about EGR related issues or fuel injection issues with the high pressure common rail systems.

Image result for scr def

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, Legend said:

This is completely false. Well maybe its true for the ford 6.0 and 6.4.

Yes, it will probably make them LESS reliable than stock, but pieces of crap is bullshit.

The thing thats makes them unreliable is morons not knowing what a fucking EGT gauge is. Or understanding if you add more fuel, you HAVE to air more air or the fucking pistons melt.

The pre emissions diesels are built just as stout as any diesel sold today.

5.9 cummins in a high state of tune and mods will be less reliable then a 2019 6.7 cummins while being drastically out performed by the stock 6.7

Just now, BOHICA said:

5.9 cummins in a high state of tune and mods will be less reliable then a 2019 6.7 cummins while being drastically out performed by the stock 6.7

Whats a "High State of Tune"?

500hp 1000 ftlbs?? Bullshit

or 750 ho and 1400 ft lbs?? Maybe

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Lots.  DPFs need maintenance and/or replacements.  A modern diesel shouldn't be idled as there is no passive regeneration of the DPF.  Forced regens can bring it back in line but waste a lot of fuel.

SCR systems need the DEF tank, pump, dosing, and mixing.  The SCR can foul out and need replacing although less frequently than a DPF.  

All of this is run with a complicated system of computers, programming, controls, and sensors.  If any one of these isn't work correctly it may go into limp mode.

This doesn't even begin to start talking about EGR related issues or fuel injection issues with the high pressure common rail systems.

Image result for scr def

Yep exhaust treatments...  nothing to do with engine reliability such as failed fuel pumps, injectors, turbos, failures etc etc etc.

• Gold Member
Just now, Legend said:

Whats a "High State of Tune"?

500hp 1000 ftlbs?? Bullshit

or 750 ho and 1400 ft lbs?? Maybe

A 500 hp 1000 ftlb 5.9 cummins is going to need massive baby sitting to get and reliability out of it.  500 and a 1000 ft lbs is not a 100-200k reliable setup at all.

Just now, BOHICA said:

A 500 hp 1000 ftlb 5.9 cummins is going to need massive baby sitting to get and reliability out of it.  500 and a 1000 ft lbs is not a 100-200k reliable setup at all.

A 1998, sure. A 2006, bullshit. And its only because of the turbo. The internals are all the same.

7 minutes ago, Legend said:

The bosch CP4 came out in 2011. It went on GMs and Fords. Ram stayed with the CP3 and didnt have issues.

The reason why GM had a FEW fuel issues before then, which btw did not cause major damage, was they did not have a lift pump in the fuel tank.

If you fucktards are going to talk shit, you should know what the fuck you are talking about.

Or just shit to talking shit about politics....

Damn you got pretty butt over that. I wasnt being specific to diesels, I have owned alot of GM gas engines and replacing a fuel pump is pretty much a given. 

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Legend said:

A 1998, sure. A 2006, bullshit. And its only because of the turbo. The internals are all the same.

Turbos, injectors, head studs, cooling, transmission, fuel system.

to just equal a stock diesel power levels of today.

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Damn you got pretty butt over that. I wasnt being specific to diesels, I have owned alot of GM gas engines and replacing a fuel pump is pretty much a given. 

Nice backpedal.

Im not butt hurt. I dont even like any GM vehicles.  Yeah GM gassers fuel pumps have been garbage since they started using EFI.

6 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Turbos, injectors, head studs, cooling, transmission, fuel system.

to just equal a stock diesel power levels of today.

Oh so now we're comparing transmissions?? I cant argue there.

The OEM turbo, injectors, fueling and certainly head bolts can do 500 hp without issues.

Im not talking out of my ass here bud, Ive done it. And Ive done it for 160K miles. Im sure as hell not the only guy to ever do it.

Edited by Legend

• Gold Member
26 minutes ago, Legend said:

Oh so now where comparing transmissions?? I cant argue there.

The OEM turbo, injectors, fueling and certainly head bolts can do 500 hp without issues.

Im not talking out of my ass here bud, Ive done it. And Ive done it for 160K miles. Im sure as hell not the only guy to ever do it.

So you got what then....   500 hp on a tune Cai  and exhaust out of a 5.9 cummins then?

Edited by BOHICA

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

So you got what then....   500 hp on a tune CSU and exhaust out of a 5.9 cummins then?

And I had even more out of a 2000. But that one had injectors and turbo. But all else was stock besides trans.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Anler said:

Ain't that the truth...it's really annoying.