Check your account email address ×

Alaska Wildfires

Southcentral AK is in one of the longest hottest driest summers ever recorded.  Literally an undetectable amount of rain all summer.  I don't know the official amount of rain but I doubt it's rained over 1/2" total in the last 4 months.  Dozens of salmon spawning streams are completely dry, no moving water what so ever.  

Fire season started a little early this year with a few dozen fires within 50 miles of us in all directions.  Most were brought under control very quickly but some have been lingering for months.  One fire named the Swan Lake fire started in June.  It was brought under control by mid July and the Responders diverted resources to other fires.  I drove through the area 4 times between July 15 and July 25.  The fire had destroyed dozens of miles of forest on each side of the road by then.  

About 10 days ago the Swan Lake fire lit back off and began burning again.  High winds fanned the flames and the whole area is on fire.  There is one road that leads from the Kenai Peninsula up toward Anchorage. About 60,000 people live on the Kenai Peninsula.  The road has been closed and opened many times in the last 2 weeks because of fire.   There is a road closure hotline that you can call to see if the road is passable.  The road has been closed for most of the last 36 hours.  Last night around 10pm  the Emergency Response Team opened the road.  There were several hundred people waiting to get back to Anchorage.  

Here is what they encountered about 1 hour into their drive.  

1 minute ago, Woodtick said:

Not to change the subject and hope all is well with your family and the fires. Some big name n the off road world are up near you.

Yea they have been in Wasilla this week.  They are doing some of the easy trails in the area.  It's been so dry here you don't even need 4wd to go on these trails.  

• Like 1

Just now, Zambroski said:

Jesus.  Hot and dry summer.  Those vids remind me of those scenes from "Constantine",

Last night was really scary for dozens of vehicles that were told it was safe to drive through the area.  I'm so glad no one lost their lives.  Some of those children will live with these memories for a very long time.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Last night was really scary for dozens of vehicles that were told it was safe to drive through the area.  I'm so glad no one lost their lives.  Some of those children will live with these memories for a very long time.  

Fuck...just nowhere to go if it goes bad.  Toast...literally.

15 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

69007817_1399547943519194_55328439752762

Sweeeeet fuckkkkker!!!!!

29 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Holy fuck...that’s apocalyptic!

There are now dozens of different videos on Facebook.  Lots of families with children tried to get back to Anchorage last night.  They were told it was safe.  What a scary experience.  

The Kenai Peninsula is a really popular recreational area during summer.  Hundreds of vehicles go down every weekend all summer long.  Many of those people have recreational property or homes there.  Hundreds of people were waiting for the road to open yesterday so they could get back to Anchorage and Wasilla so they could go to work today.  

What a horrible position to be put in.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Anler said:

Fuck alaska, the rain forests are burning. Think about that, how does the rain forest burn? Isnt it raining all the time? 

Just don't go stick your nose in Brazil's business.  Or else.:lol:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5259755

4 hours ago, Anler said:

Fuck alaska, the rain forests are burning. Think about that, how does the rain forest burn? Isnt it raining all the time? 

Thought I heard on the radio farmers had a lot to do with it opening up more land for production.  

China the culprit maybe?

6 hours ago, Woodtick said:

Not to change the subject and hope all is well with your family and the fires. Some big name n the off road world are up near you.

Cool truck...

1 hour ago, The One said:

Just WOW 

X2!!

4 hours ago, Anler said:

Was wondering that myself...

3 minutes ago, hayward said:

Thought I heard on the radio farmers had a lot to do with it opening up more land for production.  

China the culprit maybe?

It's being burned on purpose. 

8 minutes ago, hayward said:

China the culprit maybe?

The new president relaxed the environmental burn bans on the farmers. The libs are having kittens over it.  The farmers fires have gotten out of control in some areas.