Check your account email address ×

Alzheimer’s In Michigan..The Coming Storm

• Platinum Contributing Member

Time to invest in some nursing homes.   

Conservatively, Goates figures he’s put in at least 20,000 hours tending to his wife in the years since her diagnosis. She has been in a dementia care wing of a Kentwood nursing home nearly seven years, at $6,500 a month, with the total bill now running past $400,000. 

“I have some investments and a pension and Social Security,” said Goates, 72, a retired school administrator and, like his wife, a member of the post-World War II baby-boom generation.

“Little by little, the savings are going away.” 

I am sure someone will be angry that I say this, but A retired school administrator is affording 6500 a month?

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

Conservatively, Goates figures he’s put in at least 20,000 hours tending to his wife in the years since her diagnosis. She has been in a dementia care wing of a Kentwood nursing home nearly seven years, at $6,500 a month, with the total bill now running past $400,000. 

“I have some investments and a pension and Social Security,” said Goates, 72, a retired school administrator and, like his wife, a member of the post-World War II baby-boom generation.

I am sure someone will be angry that I say this, but A retired school administrator is affording 6500 a month?

Angry...no. Shocked that is what you took out of the article...no. It’s a huge issue nationwide but here you are worried about what this guy was earning.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

8 minutes ago, racer254 said:

They make $150k+/yr and have 6 figure pensions here. 

4 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Sure, he is probably chewing through his retirement savings at a rate that will exhaust them in a very short period of time. We lost my dad to Alzheimer’s, fortunately my parents had long-term care insurance. It has become too expensive now and that whole category of insurance has become unaffordable. The better solution nowadays is to buy a variable universal life insurance policy with a long-term care rider, which leverages your coverage, and grows As long as you don’t use it. For example $100,000 policy can protect up to $750,000 of your assets, or pay $750,000 worth of nursing home bills if you let the coverage grow.   If you never need it you get your hundred thousand dollars back, it’s a much better solution than the old way of paying 6-7-8 or $10,000 a year for ltc insurance or just stroking that 6500/ month bill

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Sure, he is probably chewing through his retirement savings at a rate that will exhaust them in a very short period of time. We lost my dad to Alzheimer’s, fortunately my parents had long-term care insurance. It has become too expensive now and that whole category of insurance has become unaffordable. The better solution nowadays is to buy a variable universal life insurance policy with a long-term care rider, which leverages your coverage, and grows As long as you don’t use it. For example $100,000 policy can protect up to $750,000 of your assets, or pay $750,000 worth of nursing home bills if you let the coverage grow.   If you never need it you get your hundred thousand dollars back, it’s a much better solution than the old way of paying 6-7-8 or $10,000 a year for ltc insurance or just stroking that 6500/ month bill

Sorry about your dad Mark...I’ve had two good friends  lose a parent to early onset dementia and it was absolutely horrible.

Good post and he says his savings are  about gone...the other thing is lack of facitlities able to handle these patients...scary shit.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 1

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Sorry about your dad Mark...I’ve had two good friends  lose a parent to early onset dementia and it was absolutely horrible.

Good post and he says his savings is about gone...the other thing is lack of facitlities able to handle these patients...scary shit.

Yeah we learned first hand how bad it was.  His twin sister languished for 11 years with it, and he only made it 5.  He Withered away to nothing at the end , tough to watch.

Yes, a terrible disease.  So is cancer.  And the effect of TDS hasn’t been measured yet but clearly, it’s a mental crises.

Now, liberal indoctrinator (used to be teachers) pay.  WOW!  That’s some sweet gig due to union abuse and tenure!!!  But hey, how else can we keep the US in the top 50th percentile in education?  Teachers should strike over this!!!!!!

I ponder.....

42 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Angry...no. Shocked that is what you took out of the article...no. It’s a huge issue nationwide but here you are worried about what this guy was earning.

See jimmy, in this day and age of the media writing articles designed to deceive, you have to look at every little detail and relate it to a whole separate narrative.  A few years ago, every leftist on this site was complaining about teachers and their pay.  So in order to squash that narrative you have to look at other articles where simple facts can be used to flush out the bullshit from the left.  It really is simple once you learn to do it.

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

See jimmy, in this day and age of the media writing articles designed to deceive, you have to look at every little detail and relate it to a whole separate narrative.  A few years ago, every leftist on this site was complaining about teachers and their pay.  So in order to squash that narrative you have to look at other articles where simple facts can be used to flush out the bullshit from the left.  It really is simple once you learn to do it.

Good god STFU.

52 minutes ago, racer254 said:

What  The fuck is wrong with you rest homes take every penny you have before the government starts to pay and that includes your home .  To bring up what teachers are paid on this subject is really really dumb. 

5 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

What  The fuck is wrong with you rest homes take every penny you have before the government starts to pay and that includes your home .  To bring up what teachers are paid on this subject is really really dumb. 

Naaa....it's more interesting.  

6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Naaa....it's more interesting.  

No it really isn’t but you carrying racers water is really quite perfect.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Tell you what, I'll "carry" Racer's...you carry MC's.  :lol: 

How about I don’t carry anybody’s and you continue being a retarded little toady. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

How about I don’t carry anybody’s and you continue being a retarded little toady. :thumbsup:

That'd be fine with me.  I don't think you can resist carrying the retard water though.  You are really bad at it too.  WOW.  

I'll be your "toady" though.  :lmao: