Check your account email address ×

Family values.

Last year I spent some time with my daughter and sil discussing long term vehicle costs. Depreciation, interest, used vs new, etc. Explained to them the amount of money that can be saved buying a late model, high mileage, clean and well maintained vehicle vs a newer or new vehicle. Extrapolated the cost savings over the course of several years or decades. Then explained the advantages of taking this savings and investing the money. Monday they bought a high mileage minivan for cash that had been exceptionally maintained and sold a year and a half old vehicle with a $600/mo payment. My work is done. :) 

Edited by spin_dry
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

but what about their image,  clearly they should have bought something that screamed baller over a clapped out minivan.  

That certainly seems to be an issue these days. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Last year I spent some time with my daughter and sil discussing long term vehicle costs. Depreciation, interest, used vs new, etc. Explained to them the amount of money that can be saved buying a late model, high mileage, clean and well maintained vehicle vs a newer or new vehicle. Extrapolated the cost savings over the course of several years or decades. Then explained the advantages of taking this savings and investing the money. Monday they bought a high mileage minivan for cash that had been exceptionally maintained and sold a year and a half old vehicle with a $600/mo payment. My work is done. :) 

There is some wisdom to your words.  I think it might be accidental but, still....I see it from time to time.

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

but what about their image,  clearly they should have bought something that screamed baller over a clapped out minivan.  

Hopefully, much of the “keeping up with the Joneses” affliction ended during the last recession.  Even if the kids just had to witness it through their parents losses.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Yep the responsibility is on us for making correct financial decisions....not pointing the blame on someone else. 

i'll drive my gay soccer mom suv for another few years,  wife threw it away at 90k- in the last 30k I put $2k into it but that is a hell of a lot less than 18 months of payments.   funny that my kids have vehicles with less miles on them than i have.  

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yep the responsibility is on us for making correct financial decisions....not pointing the blame on someone else. 

Parental responsibility as well. I never give up on the financial independence piece. She was finally receptive. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

Parental responsibility as well. I never give up on the financial independence piece. She was finally receptive. 

Completely agree.   Much of the nations problems would go away if we had better parents.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i'll drive my gay soccer mom suv for another few years,  wife threw it away at 90k- in the last 30k I put $2k into it but that is a hell of a lot less than 18 months of payments.   funny that my kids have vehicles with less miles on them than i have.  

I’m the type of person that appreciates a vehicle more after a little maintenance. This fall I’ll replace the brakes and struts on the minivan. It’ll feel Like a new vehicle. Always makes me smile. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

That's the hard part, getting them to listen. Now that my son is working part time and has his own vehicle, I think he finally gets what my wife and I have been trying to tell him for a few years. 

Spending money on gas, insurance, and doing things with his GF has really opened his eyes. 

I have had good luck buying 2 year/24k mile trucks turned in from a lease. Trade them in when they hit 85k. My last truck they gave me $1250 more than I paid for it after I put 52k on it made back all my payments and then some...

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Completely agree.   Much of the nations problems would go away if we had better parents.  

I’m really proud of them. The two sat down and outlined a 5 year plan for their personal finances and her business. Going into business for herself was one of the best things that could’ve happened. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

I’m the type of person that appreciates a vehicle more after a little maintenance. This fall I’ll replace the brakes and struts on the minivan. It’ll feel Like a new vehicle. Always makes me smile. 

I need to do struts,  tossed a new sunroof motor in the other night as it was leaking and had killed the motor then hopefully i am done for a bit.  it's gotten brakes and tires in the last year along with a water pump.  

11 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Bootstraps

8 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

If we’d all start focusing on being low debt and eventually debt free, it’d fix a lot of problems all the way to the top.

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I’m really proud of them. The two sat down and outlined a 5 year plan for their personal finances and her business. Going into business for herself was one of the best things that could’ve happened. 

Good for you and them.  Thinking of getting my oldest who just graduated college a Dave Ramsey book.   I like his process albeit I think its a bit on the extreme side.  

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Good for you and them.  Thinking of getting my oldest who just graduated college a Dave Ramsey book.   I like his process albeit I think its a bit on the extreme side.  

Really good idea.  He is a tad extreme for those starting off but, his methods are simple and easy to follow.  I followed many.  

13 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Great for her.  Who did she take after?

36 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Great for her.  Who did she take after?

Me. I had my own business for 19 years. Started it in "88 and sold out in "'07. Partnership with one other individual. It later grew to 6 partners. I don't miss it at all. 

My truck and my wife's car are both 2003's, truck has just under 170,000 car 110,000,did the brakes, rotors shocks, struts, ball joints, sway bar links and bushings last year a little over 1200.00 for both vehicles, owned the truck free and clear since 2005 car from 2008, no intention of getting anything new to keep up with the Joneses.

cars are a scam zero question . my trucks are lucky to make 8or9   yrs they get the shit kicked out of them . trucks don't seem to loose enough value in 2 yrs to make it worth buying used . but I always buy the holdover late in the yr and get big money off . and I never go for big buck trucks that is real fucking stupid especsly for me . I just laugh at my buds with there limmited or platinum bullshit . and none even know how to make tgere fucking phone pair with the truck . but hey the badge that says I spent 70 is all that matters 

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

A motor vehicle is the worst investment anyone can make.

Happiness can be the dividend of an investment also.  Not surprised you don’t invest in this idea.

49 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I laugh when I see a 60k F150 leaving the lumberyard with 2 sticks of wood in it.

Why?  How many should it have for you to not laugh? 

They may be laughing at you sitting outside the lumberyard in some old, clapped out shit with no “sticks of wood” on it.