Check your account email address ×

Summer staffing issues for resort areas?

Local businesses in resort areas around here are having a hard time finding seasonal employees this summer. They say it is a result of foreign students under the H2B plan having been cut way back this year. One small dairy bay in the lakes region of NH won't be opening until the 3rd week in June this year. Even then they could only find staff to open 4 days a week, Thursday-Sunday. It's the 1st time in 40 years that they haven't been able to find the staff to be open 7 days a week. 

Anyone else in summer tourist areas hearing the same thing?

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Skidooski said:

Are American kids are too lazy to work?

Some are but IMO there are simply more jobs than people to fill them...even if the lazy kids got off the couch. 

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

Local businesses in resort areas around here are having a hard time finding seasonal employees this summer. They say it is a result of foreign students under the H2B plan having been cut way back this year. One small dairy bay in the lakes region of NH won't be opening until the 3rd week in June this year. Even then they could only find staff to open 4 days a week, Thursday-Sunday. It's the 1st time in 40 years that they haven't been able to find the staff to be open 7 days a week. 

Been this way for about 5 yrs now. Yrs back Old Orchard beach waitress's were all irish nationals. Now the economy in Ireland is so good they couldn't be bothered with the bullshit of coming here for a chump change job.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ckf said:

Last time I was at Mackinac island I notice the workers were mostly imported from Detroit and other places. They’ve had this problem for a few years.

I noticed a lot of the places around here (Chicago burbs) have big signs in front advertising 12-15 bucks an hour. Says to me just about everyone is having trouble finding entry level type workers.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Some are but IMO there are simply more jobs than people to fill them...even if the lazy kids got off the couch. 

Maybe it's time these businesses start offering more incentives to attract the seasonal help they need? Turn a little less profit is better then no profit or closing the doors

• Like 2

As Jim said, I think there are more positions to be filled than local kids to fill them. Around here the bigger resorts have always used foreign workers. Now those bigger resorts are needing to fill those positions that the foreign students filled. Less from the job pool for the small mom & pop shops.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Last time I was at Mackinac island I notice the workers were mostly imported from Detroit and other places. They’ve had this problem for a few years.

I noticed a lot of the places around here (Chicago burbs) have big signs in front advertising 12-15 bucks an hour. Says to me just about everyone is having trouble finding entry level type workers.

A few years back we went to a Kid Rock Concert at Boyne Mountain....I was shooting  the breeze beforehand with a bunch of Jamaican gals that were working there for the summer....not sure if they still come here.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

Maybe it's time these businesses start offering more incentives to attract the seasonal help they need? Turn a little less profit is better then no profit or closing the doors

I have a feeling a lot of the mom & pop places are already running on a shoestring.

Charlevoix is a big summer tourist town...almost every place in town has a help wanted sign up as do most landscape and construction outfits. 

1 minute ago, ckf said:

I have a feeling a lot of the mom & pop places are already running on a shoestring.

Times are changing. The business model of old may not work anymore. They need to make changes to keep up (raise prices, offer more money to workers, run leaner, enhance the product offerings, etc).

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Charlevoix is a big summer tourist town...almost every place in town has a help wanted sign up as do most landscape and construction outfits. 

The thing I cant figure out is there has always been a group of recent high school grads / dropouts who just are not college material. Where have they gone?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

Big resorts having a shortage is one thing but I seem to have more compassion for the mom and pop stores.

11 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Been this way for about 5 yrs now. Yrs back Old Orchard beach waitress's were all irish nationals. Now the economy in Ireland is so good they couldn't be bothered with the bullshit of coming here for a chump change job.

Wife grew up in Old Orchard and used to be the fry girl at Funtown. :lol: 

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

The thing I cant figure out is there has always been a group of recent high school grads / dropouts who just are not college material. Where have they gone?

I see them and I'm not sure what they are living on.....guessing meth and pills but not sure how they pay for it. :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

I see them and I'm not sure what they are living on.....guessing meth and pills but not sure how they pay for it. :lol:

Maybe they scored a girlfriend that drives a VW. Everytime I see one the chic is driving with the dude in the passenger seat.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Maybe they scored a girlfriend that drives a VW. Everytime I see one the chic is driving with the dude in the passenger seat.

Haha...so true! :lmao:

Around here I see that a lot except it's usually a Pontiac Gran Prix or something similar. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Haha...so true! :lmao:

Around here I see that a lot except it's usually a Pontiac Gran Prix or something similar. 

Anytime I see that I automatically assume it's Bhen a DUI offender.

• Haha 2

My son did a manager internship at Cedar Point last year. Almost all of the workers under him came from Depressed Caribbean countries.  They work their asses off for three months and go home loaded, because of the exchange rate. 

In Mackinaw City, MI , four of the older hotels + motels were turned into housing for the seasonal workers ( ripping them off for high rents ), they fucking look like hooterville . Signs for help in every business window. Joe + Enzo Lieghio  owns - runs 25 - 28 inns plus 8 eateries in Mac City.  When I did a summer season working the docks , we camped outside of town and got rides in very old shitty Dodge  extended passenger vans. No cell phones , just two payphones on a pole at the campgrounds. Great times for a  white boy + great cash tip money. Ginger would have passed out from all the makes and models from around the world of legal willing females. From what I have seen in  peak season it is mostly  temp visa workers, off season in the slower winter months locals.  Mac City , St Iggy , Mac Island used to be the college bound working racket , no more.   Last year news clip ;https://clubandresortbusiness.com/labor-woes-stall-growth-northern-michigan-properties/    :read:

Edited by hwytohell

My helper from 2 years ago was Jamaican.

Couldn't get a brisk walk pace out of the guy no matter what.

Go to the same stop day after day and always had to tell him what and where.

So afraid of dogs if one was chained up I had to do the stop.

Woman I had last year would work circles around him.