Check your account email address ×

Trump says he won’t do an infrastructure bill while Democrats continue to investigate him

President Donald Trump abruptly walked out of a meeting with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., at the White House on Wednesday, telling reporters moments later that he would not negotiate on legislation with Democrats while he was still under investigation by several committees.

Wednesday’s meeting was supposed to be the second official sit-down between the president and Democratic congressional leadership specifically focused on infrastructure.

“I walked into the room and I told Sen. Schumer and Speaker Pelosi, ‘I want to do infrastructure’ ... but we can’t do it under these circumstances,” Trump said at a last-minute Rose Garden event.

Trump’s anger appears to have been sparked by comments Pelosi made earlier in the day when she said, “We believe the president of the United States is engaged in a cover-up” by blocking White House aides from giving testimony and responding to document requests from ongoing congressional investigations.

“I don’t do cover-ups,” Trump insisted Wednesday.

President Donald Trump discusses Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian interference into the 2016 presidential election in the Rose Garden at the White House May 22, 2019 in Washington, DC.

Chip Somodevilla | Getty Images

According to a White House official who spoke to CNBC on condition of anonymity, the meeting in the Cabinet room lasted only about seven minutes. Trump effectively said to the visiting Democrats that he wanted to do infrastructure, ”‘but you’re focused on investigating. When you’re done we can talk. Meeting over,’” Trump said, and then he left, the official said.

“I knew the president was not serious about infrastructure and would find a way out,” Pelosi said to her Democratic colleagues after Trump’s exit, according to a Democratic aide who spoke to NBC News. In a statement issued later in the day, the California Democrat said House committee chairs will continue to work on “transformative infrastructure solutions that will create good-paying jobs, regardless of the President’s behavior.”

It appeared as though Trump’s abrupt walkout had been planned in advance, given that the White House had prepared a sign to adorn the presidential lectern, and handouts that were given to reporters following the Rose Garden statement.

Speaking to journalists at the Capitol shortly afterward, Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin, D-Ill., said there had been “high drama in the Cabinet room. We were all invited, Democratic leaders, for the follow-up meeting on infrastructure, everyone showed up, sat in their chairs, the president walked in the room and announced he was not going to go forward with the meeting, he was cancelling it.”

Trump “objected to the continued investigation of obstruction of justice, he said he cooperated and gave his side of the story, as we’ve heard before,” Durbin said, calling the outcome of the meeting, “a setback to our country’s progress.”

Following the president’s remarks, Pelosi and Schumer held an impromptu event on Capitol Hill where Schumer said Trump’s actions at the meeting “would make your jaw drop.”

In late April, a similarly billed meeting proved to be an unexpected success, with both Trump and Democrats saying the two sides agreed that an infrastructure package would need to contain about $2 trillion in funding and investments.

Since then, however, there had been little additional clarity as to what the next steps forward might be, or where this money would come from.

“Let them finish up” their investigations, Trump said at the end of his remarks in the Rose Garden, “and we’ll be all set.”

Later in the day, Trump reiterated his position in a series of tweets, claiming, “You can’t investigate and legislate simultaneously - it just doesn’t work that way.”

Donald J. Trump✔

· 7h

So sad that Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer will never be able to see or understand the great promise of our Country. They can continue the Witch Hunt which has already cost $40M and been a tremendous waste of time and energy for everyone in America, or get back to work....

Donald J. Trump✔@realDonaldTrump

....But they really want a do-over! You can’t investigate and legislate simultaneously - it just doesn’t work that way. You can’t go down two tracks at the same time. Let Chuck, Nancy, Jerry, Adam and all of the rest finish playing their games....

12:01 PM - May 22, 2019

Twitter Ads info and privacy

11.5K people are talking about this

Donald J. Trump✔

· 7h

Replying to @realDonaldTrump

....In the meantime, my Administration is achieving things that have never been done before, including unleashing perhaps the Greatest Economy in our Country’s history....

....Democrat leadership is tearing the United States apart, but I will continue to set records for the American People – and Nancy, thank you so much for your prayers, I know you truly mean it!

12:02 PM - May 22, 2019

28.9K people are talking about this

White House officials declined to say precisely which legislative efforts would be halted as long as Democrats continued their investigations, and which ones might proceed regardless of Trump’s anger at the myriad probes underway into his administration.

— CNBC’s Eamon Javers contributed to this report.

• Gold Member

CBS had a poll and is state 7 in 10 give credit to trumps policies for the good economy.

53% in the poll said it’s time for democrats to move on and focus on policies 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

He took his ball and went home. What a fuckin baby.

Yeah ,, libtards  never do that, they just run away to another state,,,,,

you pathetic hypocrite. 🖕

• Haha 2

• Gold Member
10 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

He took his ball and went home. What a fuckin baby.

Guarantee you just described yourself come mid November 2020....

just like you did in November 2016 you loser.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

No , he slapped Pelosi's ball out of her hands and took it home . :bc:

I think it was a perfect response based on what that imbecile said before the meeting.  PREFECT!

Also, Schumer needs a bullet in his neck.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
28 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I think it was a perfect response based on what that imbecile said before the meeting.  PREFECT!

Also, Schumer needs a bullet in his neck.

Go do it Mr. 90's Mercenary.....MoeMoe should be along shortly to take you to task for being all talk and no action. 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Go do it Mr. 90's Mercenary.....MoeMoe should be along shortly to take you to task for being all talk and no action. 

Shut up, stupid.  Just stay in your little “boo hoo” lane before you get run over.  AGAIN!

:lol2:

59 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

hYWPcbu.gif

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

President Donald Trump abruptly walked out of a meeting with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., at the White House on Wednesday, telling reporters moments later that he would not negotiate on legislation with Democrats while he was still under investigation by several committees.

Wednesday’s meeting was supposed to be the second official sit-down between the president and Democratic congressional leadership specifically focused on infrastructure.

“I walked into the room and I told Sen. Schumer and Speaker Pelosi, ‘I want to do infrastructure’ ... but we can’t do it under these circumstances,” Trump said at a last-minute Rose Garden event.

Trump’s anger appears to have been sparked by comments Pelosi made earlier in the day when she said, “We believe the president of the United States is engaged in a cover-up” by blocking White House aides from giving testimony and responding to document requests from ongoing congressional investigations.

“I don’t do cover-ups,” Trump insisted Wednesday.

President Donald Trump discusses Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian interference into the 2016 presidential election in the Rose Garden at the White House May 22, 2019 in Washington, DC.

Chip Somodevilla | Getty Images

According to a White House official who spoke to CNBC on condition of anonymity, the meeting in the Cabinet room lasted only about seven minutes. Trump effectively said to the visiting Democrats that he wanted to do infrastructure, ”‘but you’re focused on investigating. When you’re done we can talk. Meeting over,’” Trump said, and then he left, the official said.

“I knew the president was not serious about infrastructure and would find a way out,” Pelosi said to her Democratic colleagues after Trump’s exit, according to a Democratic aide who spoke to NBC News. In a statement issued later in the day, the California Democrat said House committee chairs will continue to work on “transformative infrastructure solutions that will create good-paying jobs, regardless of the President’s behavior.”

It appeared as though Trump’s abrupt walkout had been planned in advance, given that the White House had prepared a sign to adorn the presidential lectern, and handouts that were given to reporters following the Rose Garden statement.

Speaking to journalists at the Capitol shortly afterward, Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin, D-Ill., said there had been “high drama in the Cabinet room. We were all invited, Democratic leaders, for the follow-up meeting on infrastructure, everyone showed up, sat in their chairs, the president walked in the room and announced he was not going to go forward with the meeting, he was cancelling it.”

Trump “objected to the continued investigation of obstruction of justice, he said he cooperated and gave his side of the story, as we’ve heard before,” Durbin said, calling the outcome of the meeting, “a setback to our country’s progress.”

Following the president’s remarks, Pelosi and Schumer held an impromptu event on Capitol Hill where Schumer said Trump’s actions at the meeting “would make your jaw drop.”

In late April, a similarly billed meeting proved to be an unexpected success, with both Trump and Democrats saying the two sides agreed that an infrastructure package would need to contain about $2 trillion in funding and investments.

Since then, however, there had been little additional clarity as to what the next steps forward might be, or where this money would come from.

“Let them finish up” their investigations, Trump said at the end of his remarks in the Rose Garden, “and we’ll be all set.”

Later in the day, Trump reiterated his position in a series of tweets, claiming, “You can’t investigate and legislate simultaneously - it just doesn’t work that way.”

Donald J. Trump✔

· 7h

So sad that Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer will never be able to see or understand the great promise of our Country. They can continue the Witch Hunt which has already cost $40M and been a tremendous waste of time and energy for everyone in America, or get back to work....

....But they really want a do-over! You can’t investigate and legislate simultaneously - it just doesn’t work that way. You can’t go down two tracks at the same time. Let Chuck, Nancy, Jerry, Adam and all of the rest finish playing their games....

12:01 PM - May 22, 2019

11.5K people are talking about this

Donald J. Trump✔

· 7h

Replying to @realDonaldTrump

....In the meantime, my Administration is achieving things that have never been done before, including unleashing perhaps the Greatest Economy in our Country’s history....

....Democrat leadership is tearing the United States apart, but I will continue to set records for the American People – and Nancy, thank you so much for your prayers, I know you truly mean it!

12:02 PM - May 22, 2019

28.9K people are talking about this

White House officials declined to say precisely which legislative efforts would be halted as long as Democrats continued their investigations, and which ones might proceed regardless of Trump’s anger at the myriad probes underway into his administration.

— CNBC’s Eamon Javers contributed to this report.

Can you blame him?

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Shut up, stupid.  Just stay in your little “boo hoo” lane before you get run over.  AGAIN!

:lol2:

Run over by who...the likes of you....go polish your knob jabber jaws.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Run over by who...the likes of you....go polish your knob jabber jaws.

Shit, gotta get in line around here to run you over.  You are usually what amounts to a grease stain on the highway by 10 am every morning.

:lol:

3 hours ago, BOHICA said:

CBS had a poll and is state 7 in 10 give credit to trumps policies for the good economy.

53% in the poll said it’s time for democrats to move on and focus on policies 

At this point I don’t think the Dems can make a platform they can win on