Check your account email address ×

50 mph winds, possible 'bomb cyclone' could hit Michigan

Could get wild in SE Michigan and southern Ontario this weekend.

50 mph winds, possible 'bomb cyclone' could hit Michigan

Power outages and flying patio chairs could be the scene this weekend as a powerful low pressure storm system moves from the Central Plains toward the Great Lakes.  

Southeast Michigan could see wind gusts of 50 mph on Sunday, said Ian Lee, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service in White Lake Township. 

"If we do see 50 mph wind gusts throughout the entire course of the day, it will really increase the potential to see scattered to numerous power outages," he said. The system could potentially bring a "bomb cyclone," which occurs when a low pressure system has a rapid drop in central pressure of 24 millibars in 24 hours. Lee said the quick pressure drop is what leads to the strong winds.  

Most of Michigan's Lower Peninsula is expected to be impacted by system. 

The winds will die down Monday, but it will still be breezy. Gusts of 20 to 30 mph are possible. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/50-mph-winds-possible-bomb-cyclone-could-hit-michigan/ar-BBTUW8z

Going to get breezy here in Southern Ontario! 75 mph winds are possible as our power outages and a whole host of other things. I honestly don't know if I have ever experienced 120 km/h winds? :dunno:

4:51 AM EST Saturday 23 February 2019
Special weather statement in effect for:

• Pickering - Oshawa - Southern Durham Region
  • Vaughan - Richmond Hill - Markham

Major wind storm expected Sunday and Sunday night.

Damaging westerly winds with frequent gusts of 90 to 110 km/h are expected to develop Sunday morning after the passage of a sharp cold front. Areas near the Great Lakes are more likely to experience winds at the higher end of this range. A few gusts may reach 120 km/h near the east end of Lake Erie and over Prince Edward County near Lake Ontario. The very strong winds will persist through Sunday night and gradually diminish Monday.

Damage to buildings, such as to roof shingles and windows, may occur. Power outages are also possible.

In addition, flurries and blowing snow will develop Sunday afternoon. Local snowfall amounts in the 2 to 5 cm range are possible by Monday morning. Any fresh snow that falls will be whipped up by the very strong winds creating whiteout conditions in blowing snow at times.

Travel will become hazardous due to significant and sudden reduction to visibility.

Wind warnings will likely be required for some areas.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to ONstorm@canada.ca or tweet reports using #ONStorm.

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, Woodtick said:

@Anler doesn’t go to the troll Mi. He goes to the UP. It’s only considered Mi by default.

He's been known to I believe....he and that dirty end of a fuckstick Vince!!!!!

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Eesshhh...

IMG_4559.thumb.PNG.134833219343f60740563f3c11dc3958.PNG

IMG_4560.thumb.PNG.999bd39d59c8f2f6a5124c1c391550c6.PNG

It has gotten worse for here as well. Time to get outside and put some shit away. Should gas up and fire up the genny as well, I guess?

Statements

10:48 AM EST Saturday 23 February 2019
Special weather statement in effect for:

• Newmarket - Georgina - Northern York Region
  • Uxbridge - Beaverton - Northern Durham Region

Winter storm with freezing rain possible tonight then damaging winds and blowing snow developing Sunday into Sunday night.

Precipitation associated with a winter storm may begin as patchy freezing rain this evening before becoming rain overnight or early Sunday morning.

Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become icy and slippery.

Damaging westerly winds with gusts of 90 to 110 km/h are expected to develop Sunday morning. The strong winds will persist through Sunday night and gradually diminish Monday.

Damage to buildings, such as to roof shingles and windows, may occur. Power outages are also possible.

In addition, flurries and blowing snow will develop Sunday afternoon. Local snowfall amounts in the 5 to 10 cm range are possible by Monday morning. Any fresh snow that falls will be whipped up by the very strong winds creating near whiteout conditions in blowing snow.

Travel will become hazardous due to significant and sudden reduction to visibility.

Freezing rain warnings may be required. Wind warnings will be issued later today.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to ONstorm@canada.ca or tweet reports using #ONStorm.

• Confused 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

68 mph gusts last night at otsego lake state park. Roads are closed. Scanner is going nuts with people in the ditch.

Yeah I heard Otsego County got nailed....I just heard the roads are open but they are advising not to drive on them. :lmao:

We had the wind but zero snow here.

52 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yeah I heard Otsego County got nailed....I just heard the roads are open but they are advising not to drive on them. :lmao:

We had the wind but zero snow here.

Caberfae is reporting 14 fresh. 😀

• Like 1