Check your account email address ×

Mitch McConnell Calls to Cut Social Security, Medicare

Just now, Angry ginger said:

Yup,  military/va spending really should get it's own tax line liek SS/medi get.  Maybe then people would see how out fo control our military spend is.  

Yup and they should re-instate the draft instead of hiring contractors for 3x what US troops cost. 

7 hours ago, Highmark said:

:lol:   Since when are income taxes to pay for Social Security?  

Well according to McConnell SS is what's driving the debt up :news:

Still, McConnell insisted that the change had nothing to do with a lack of revenue or increased spending and instead was due to entitlement and welfare programs. The debt, he said, was very “disturbing” and driven by “the three big entitlement programs that are very popular, Medicare, Social SecurityMedicaid...There’s been a bipartisan reluctance to tackle entitlement changes because of the popularity of those programs. Hopefully, at some point here, we’ll get serious about this.”

17 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

:lol:

Here's the problem Ron Social Security started in 1935 when the life expectancy of an American was 61 years old, it's now around 78 years old, the SS retirement age of 65 wasn't planned around people living till they were 78 years old.

Life-expectancy-us-1900-2011.png

I understand that , Vin , I truly do . But at the end of the day , Guy's like me who have worked with their hands since they were 12 really aren't living all that much longer . Maybe somewhat , but the reality is , the quality of life isn't good. Being kept alive for another 10 years by 10 different bottles of pills isn't really " Living longer " in my book.  Our body's are still spent by the time we are in out mid to late 50's .  And at that point , who is going to hire us even if we can still do the job ?     Things may have gotten a lot better for these pencil pushers who eat nuts and berries behind a desk all day , but for us little helmets who have built this country with our bare hands for 40 years , it really hasn't .    :bc:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Nazipigdog said:

Nah, you're just a moron. You should have known they would steal it. 

lmfao so you actually thought oh yeah this is the thing govenment wont fuck me on . the "lock box" is deff safe yeah ok keep lying to your self  

1 hour ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

I understand that , Vin , I truly do . But at the end of the day , Guy's like me who have worked with their hands since they were 12 really aren't living all that much longer . Maybe somewhat , but the reality is , the quality of life isn't good. Being kept alive for another 10 years by 10 different bottles of pills isn't really " Living longer " in my book.  Our body's are still spent by the time we are in out mid to late 50's .  And at that point , who is going to hire us even if we can still do the job ?     Things may have gotten a lot better for these pencil pushers who eat nuts and berries behind a desk all day , but for us little helmets who have built this country with our bare hands for 40 years , it really hasn't .    :bc:

this is how it was done last time . pretty sure it will be the same deal this time so you prob have a yr diff of when you collect if you are around 50 now 

The 1983 Amendments phased in a gradual increase in the age for collecting fullSocial Security retirement benefits. The retirement age is increasing from 65 to 67 over a 22-year period, with an 11-year hiatus at which the retirement age will remain at 66.

Edited by Ez ryder

1 hour ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

So true and a paper cut is grounds for calling 911 among that crowd :lmao:

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

lmfao so you actually thought oh yeah this is the thing govenment wont fuck me on . the "lock box" is deff safe yeah ok keep lying to your self  

For fucks sake quit repeating the same misspelled shit.

47 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

So true and a paper cut is grounds for calling 911 among that crowd :lmao:

the other thing is most of those people are not in shape at all . sitting at a desk all day is not good for your heath 

5 hours ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

It's very true what your saying Ron, but the facts are people are living longer and there is a cost associated with that, and that cost has to be covered in some type of fashion.

As it stands right now if you were born after 1960 you have to wait until age 67 to collect your retirement benefit in full, good chart and read at the link :bc:

https://www.ameriprise.com/retirement/retirement-planning/retirement-income-expenses/when-to-take-social-security/

11 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

the other thing is most of those people are not in shape at all . sitting at a desk all day is not good for your heath 

Neither is beating the shit out of your body for 30+ years at a physically demanding job, only to discover a worker then gets to spend a considerable amount of money repairing his fucked up knees, hips and back........lovely.

4 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Neither is beating the shit out of your body for 30+ years at a physically demanding job, only to discover a worker then gets to spend a considerable amount of money repairing his fucked up knees, hips and back........lovely.

Ain't that the truth...I look at the few "older" Masons I see and cringe.

8 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

It's very true what your saying Ron, but the facts are people are living longer and there is a cost associated with that, and that cost has to be covered in some type of fashion.

As it stands right now if you were born after 1960 you have to wait until age 67 to collect your retirement benefit in full, good chart and read at the link :bc:

https://www.ameriprise.com/retirement/retirement-planning/retirement-income-expenses/when-to-take-social-security/

We need to get this under control, because there is no way I am going to allow a guy like Vince to wither away to nothing on his Social Security check.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Snake said:

We need to get this under control, because there is no way I am going to allow a guy like Vince to wither away to nothing on his Social Security check.

I'll  wait till  I'm 70 to start collecting SS seeing there is a benefit increase of 8% for every year past my retirement age of 66 years 10 months, and then there is no limit on what I earn once I'm past 70. What I really have to keep an eye on is that I get on Medicare 3 months before my 65th birthday.

For each month past your full Social Security retirement age you put off receiving retirement benefits, your benefit will automatically increase by ⅔ of 1% per month or 8% annually.

MEDICARE: If you wait, you may wind up paying more for Medicare Part A (hospital insurance) if you aren't eligible for premium-free Part A, Part B (medical insurance) and Part D (prescription drug insurance) coverage.

15 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Well according to McConnell SS is what's driving the debt up :news:

It will because its not sustainable and neither is Medicare.  

15 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I'll  wait till  I'm 70 to start collecting SS seeing there is a benefit increase of 8% for every year past my retirement age of 66 years 10 months, and then there is no limit on what I earn once I'm past 70. What I really have to keep an eye on is that I get on Medicare 3 months before my 65th birthday.

Did you know if you collect early you can actually pay it back (I'm sure with some interest/penalty) then collect the higher rate later.

15 hours ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

I fully support some sort of early collection for blue collar labor but it would be INCREDIBLY difficult to manage (scale for what labor) and avoid fraud and abuse.   I posted this long time ago.  

29 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

How do you know you're going to live that long? I like the idea of taking it early because SS should really be just fun money at that point and nobody knows how long they'll live, IMO 70 is too late. :bc:

55 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

How do you know you're going to live that long? I like the idea of taking it early because SS should really be just fun money at that point and nobody knows how long they'll live, IMO 70 is too late. :bc:

I'll be retired well before I can collect early....but I'll be taking it at 62

I'm on schedule to retire at 59 1/2. Don't know when I'll draw ss or even if it will be available by then. But if they are going to bankrupt it I don't see why we should have to keep paying into it. We'd all be fucking rich if those were put into our own accounts. 

SS is tough.  I know people need it and I want it to remain solvent but I know its a huge fucking screw job for a lot of us.   Tough to get behind any increases just because the govt has fucked it up.   Honestly people my age and younger I can't feel sorry if SS is the only retirement planning they have done.