Check your account email address ×

Does lug height change the final drive ratio on a snowmobile

f7ben

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Here is a simplified example of of typical drive system for a conveyor.

The diameter at the drive pulley determines how far the belt will move in one rev.  The length of the belt has zero influence.  The thickness of the belt will increase the diameter at the drive pulley but in most cases its not much.

no , your wrong :lol: just making that belt longer will cause it to magically drive the drive pulley faster 

32 minutes ago, Capt.Storm said:

you're wrong ..spend some time with google.

When I was like 20 I used to set conveyors up in canning factories.

Cappy, how would you setup one of these, retracting nosers?  :lol:

I have controlled many.

14 minutes ago, Capt.Storm said:

I'll agree that track length makes no diff..the drivers don't care how long a track is.

You are almost there.  So imagine this as your sled drive system using the conveyor drive pulley example.

conveyor.jpg 

How would a lug height translate to increased linear speed of the belt unless it affects the speed at the drive pulley?  It doesn't, the difference in the thickness of one sled belt to another could though and that is a valid argument.

Edited by ArcticCrusher

27 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

You are almost there.  So imagine this as your sled drive system using the conveyor drive pulley example.

How would a lug height translate to increased linear speed of the belt unless it affects the speed at the drive pulley?  It doesn't, the difference in the thickness of one sled belt to another could though and that is a valid argument.

I dont agree on the thickness of the belt....it makes no difference

1 minute ago, Momorider said:

This shit should be added to the bannable offence list and Bipolarhooknose should be banned for starting this thread :guzzle:  

watch it momo you braindead cum dumpster .....John asked me this morning if he should have shortshit ban you and I said I'd get back to him

29 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I dont agree on the thickness of the belt....it makes no difference

If it changes the overall diameter of the drive system, then it would.  Consider changing out a chain system that has a certain pitch to one of the same, that would make no difference, but if you went to a chain with a different height with the same pitch, it could if it changed the overall radius of the drive system.

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

If it changes the overall diameter of the drive system, then it would.  Consider changing out a chain system that has a certain pitch to one of the same, that would make no difference, but if you went to a chain with a different height with the same pitch, it could if it changed the overall radius of the drive system.

increasing the thickness of the belt on the track is no different than increasing the lug height

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

no sorry

Wrap a string around a 3/4" track and then wrap a string around the 1" track. The difference in length of the strings is how much farther the track will go in one revolution. Aka different final drive ratio...

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Wrap a string around a 3/4" track and then wrap a string around the 1" track. The difference in length of the strings is how much farther the track will go in one revolution. Aka different final drive ratio...

a track is not a circle ....it will go the same exact distance in one revolution of the drivers as the track with less belt thickness....that is all that matter

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

a track is not a circle ....it will go the same exact distance in one revolution of the drivers as the track with less belt thickness....that is all that matter

I'm going to do a side by side comparison later this fall to put this to bed once and for all.