Check your account email address ×

Transgender candidate for governor wins VT primary

ckf

Christine Hallquist, a former utilities executive, became the first transgender candidate in the nation to be nominated by a major party in a governor’s race, scoring a clear win over three Democratic challengers in primaries on Tuesday.

“We made history,” Hallquist told reporters after the Associated Press called the race at about 9:30 p.m. “Now we’re going to go on and make history in November.”

After winning Tuesday’s Democratic gubernatorial primary, Hallquist, 62, of Hyde Park, faces a new challenge: an uphill battle to unseat Gov. Phil Scott in the November general election.

As of midnight, the Vermont Secretary of State’s website had unofficial results of Hallquist winning more than 40 percent of the vote, with her leading competitors James Ehlers and Brenda Siegel trailing with about 18 percent each, with Ehlers narrowly ahead. Ethan Sonneborn, a 14-year-old high-schooler, had almost 7 percent (more than 4,500 votes).

Supporters and dozens of journalists packed into the Skinny Pancake in Burlington, where Hallquist hosted her victory party Tuesday evening. National media have trailed Hallquist in recent weeks, drawn to the historic nature of her run.

On Tuesday afternoon, Hallquist was humble about the prospect of her momentous primary win as the first transgender candidate to launch a gubernatorial race.

https://vtdigger.org/2018/08/15/hallquist-celebrates-historic-victory-trains-sights-scott/

What little hope I had for VT is gone.  Have fun with the fluid morality and freak politics.  Its getting to the point now, if you're married, have a family and go to church on Sundays you're considered the freak, not the dipshit who cut his dick off and takes hormones to grow breasts.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DriftBusta said:

What little hope I had for VT is gone.  Have fun with the fluid morality and freak politics.  Its getting to the point now, if you're married, have a family and go to church on Sundays you're considered the freak, not the dipshit who cut his dick off and takes hormones to grow breasts.

why would you have had hope for vermont,  the states fucking nuts,  taxes out the ass,  shit ton of weird people having a transgender governor would not be out of the realm of possibility.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Angry ginger said:

why would you have had hope for vermont,  the states fucking nuts,  taxes out the ass,  shit ton of weird people having a transgender governor would not be out of the realm of possibility.

I guess you're right, its beautiful country, but yeah the taxes are ridiculous and its getting over run with weird people.  Garys in laws pay a "view tax"  What fucking moron came up with that idea?

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

I guess you're right, its beautiful country, but yeah the taxes are ridiculous and its getting over run with weird people.  Garys in laws pay a "view tax"  What fucking moron came up with that idea?

He's my issue with people complaining about a view tax. Is the property with a view of Mt Mansfield worth more than the one down the road with the view of the town dump. Of course it is. Why wouldn't you expect to pay more tax on it if it's worth more? I think it is the term "view tax" that bothers people.

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

Some good normal folk around Groton area too.

There are good people all over the state. Unfortunately the locals tend to be more reserved when it comes to standing up and speaking out. 

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

Directly north from NYC.

True. I think the NY'ers tend to stay south of Killington. Nicole was from Bennington and there was always tons of NY & NJ tourists down there. It's mostly CT tourists/transplants up here. I fucking hate going to the local market up here in the Summer. Way to many selfish pricks in the store during the summer. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, ckf said:

He's my issue with people complaining about a view tax. Is the property with a view of Mt Mansfield worth more than the one down the road with the view of the town dump. Of course it is. Why wouldn't you expect to pay more tax on it if it's worth more? I think it is the term "view tax" that bothers people.

As you describe , there is no such thing as a view tax. Its a sales pitch for those who want a view and a discount. And a poor one at that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ckf said:

So set the tax based on the marketable property value, not some local liberals subjective opinion would be my thought  :dunno: 

16 minutes ago, Sael said:

Cultural diversity sure upsets rednecks. 

If thinking transgenders are normal, that we're gonna disregard the 40x the national average suicide rate and opinions by psychologists that this is a sickness, make you enlightened, I'm fine with being a red neck.  Love all gods children and all that, but please save the "they're normal" bullshit, or than anyone not on board with it is a red neck.  

Edited by DriftBusta

28 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

view tax is something that gets people stirred up but the basis of it is real.  It's not  really a tax on the view it's acknowledging that a property with a view sells for more than the same property without one therefore should pay more in taxes.  People in NH bitch about the same "view tax"  then come time to sell the first thing they brag about is the view to justify their silly asking price.  In fact the term view tax came to be over some legislation here in NH 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

So set the tax based on the marketable property value, not some local liberals subjective opinion would be my thought  :dunno: 

If thinking transgenders are normal, that we're gonna disregard the 40x the national average suicide rate and opinions by psychologists that this is a sickness, make you enlightened, I'm fine with being a red neck.  Love all gods children and all that, but please save the "they're normal" bullshit.

the tax is set by assesors who have to have empirical data to back up the value they place with most contracting to firms who specialize in this and have the data not being done local.  It's not towns waking up one morning and saying hey you have a viw here is an extra bill

9 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

view tax is something that gets people stirred up but the basis of it is real.  It's not  really a tax on the view it's acknowledging that a property with a view sells for more than the same property without one therefore should pay more in taxes.  People in NH bitch about the same "view tax"  then come time to sell the first thing they brag about is the view to justify their silly asking price.  In fact the term view tax came to be over some legislation here in NH 

ok fine.  10k in property taxes 10 miles from town on a dirt road?   No garbage pickup, regional schools miles away?  You can have it.  :bc: 

Edited by DriftBusta

3 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

ok fine.  10k in property taxes 10 miles from town on a dirt road?   No garbage pickup, regional schools miles away?  You can have it.  :bc: 

Mine are 257 a yr now....use to be 55...

:wall:

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

CFK lives in one of the few normal counties. The rest of the state is where old dykes go to die.

But he's a fuckin wierdo too.  Guy cooks ribs in a crock pot for Christ sake :flush:

:snack:

Edited by SVT Renegade XRS

14 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

thats all meaningless,  how much is the house worth along with all the others and the budget of the town is the only thing that matters.  Services effect value in this case it's clear people are willing to pay without having town services no different than many second home areas.  

People need to go in with their eyes open,  when i bought on ossipee i bought on the freedom side in order to pay half the taxes versus being on the ossipee side which was 10 minutes closer.  I chose my primary based on the fact that they keep taxes reasonable versus many other towns.