Check your account email address ×

Farming has gotten way easier over the years

• Gold Member

Combines that auto level everything for the terrain.  I guess everything in these is pretty much push button and auto steer.  It’s definitely a flip flop and shorts type job.  Things have changed from the day when farming was an honest days work.

8E4E5535-B065-427A-8208-447FB827634F.thumb.jpeg.620f2e17e01f1e95ec52e05e1e54b719.jpeg

8D37C63B-C08C-43BD-AE2E-8D9D23F5BEF2.thumb.jpeg.f66f5d491da624f7c145748a885d627f.jpegED337CA8-22B8-45C8-AF51-40075C16A443.thumb.jpeg.d1b7cefced4c8ed0f716f492b5ebc417.jpeg

• USA Contributing Member

Take the topic off course a little......

If we didn't have the migrant workforce we have down at the border would there be equipment available and being used today to harvest the type of crops they have down there?  Does the low wage of the migrant worker hold back the creation of equipment that could do that work?

• Platinum Contributing Member
16 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

If we didn't have the migrant workforce we have down at the border would there be equipment available and being used today to harvest the type of crops they have down there?  Does the low wage of the migrant worker hold back the creation of equipment that could do that work?

im sure it does

19 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

I doubt it. businesses have been looking for ways to make things more efficient and cheaper damn near forever. I don't believe $8 an hour migrant workers have any effect on that, especially holding technology back. I used to work for a farm equipment manufacturer, sperry new Holland at the time, in their engineering center in new Holland, pa. worked on some cool shit, in the late 80s. detecting metal and shutting down blades in harvesters was one of the projects I was involved with. I can only imagine the technology some of these things have in them now.

• USA Contributing Member
40 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

I doubt it. businesses have been looking for ways to make things more efficient and cheaper damn near forever. I don't believe $8 an hour migrant workers have any effect on that, especially holding technology back. I used to work for a farm equipment manufacturer, sperry new Holland at the time, in their engineering center in new Holland, pa. worked on some cool shit, in the late 80s. detecting metal and shutting down blades in harvesters was one of the projects I was involved with. I can only imagine the technology some of these things have in them now.

So if they went crazy and built a wall bigger than the one in Game of Thrones and somehow Illegal immigration came to a halt would the farming industry pay a higher wage to bring in workers or would they look at technology?  I would think it would be a mix.  I guess what I'm thinking is the cost of labor must still be lower than what technology has to offer.

Last fall was a late wet start in our area.  The harvest lasted 41 days from start to finish.  I put 439 engine hours and 392 separator hours on the machine.  I didn't think for one minute that flip flops and shorts would be appropriate wear.  Some of that mud would suck the boots off your feet.

Yes, the machines are easier to operate in perfect conditions.  It is not often that you see perfect conditions.  Mud can be a big factor along with crop condition.  It takes an attentive operator to get everything you can out of the field.  Throw some schmuck in the machine and you are throwing away good money.  Leaving the crop in the field or throwing it out the back of the machine is a tough way to make money in a high cost low margin business.

The technology is pretty amazing.  It is not cheap.  It also does not guarantee the highest optimization.  It still takes a good operator.  I'll take the person with boots and jeans over the one wearing flip flops and shorts.

3 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

Agree.  Look at all the dairys up your way.  There's one with robotic milkers where the owners are made aware with a problem via cell phone, and right down the road a dairy with half a dozen guatemalons milking.  The tech is there and still it's not  the ideal situation for everyone.

3 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

Here you go.  This is right in your back yard.  Amazing technology.

12 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

One of the big dairies down south ran a transient through one of their big forage harvester.  Only reason they knew was from the person's piercings setting off the metal detector.  

21 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

One of the big dairies down south ran a transient through one of their big forage harvester.  Only reason they knew was from the person's piercings setting off the metal detector.  

:lol:

I have no idea what a “big forage harvester” is but, I can fill in the blanks.  I wouldn’t think one would be that hard to outrun if you are sober.  

14 hours ago, Zamjabronie said:

Holy shit!  Ouch!  :lmao:

i see that kind of stuff in operation around my house. i love watching it. i thought about trying to get a p/t time job with some local farmers just so i can drive the machinery lol

7 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

i see that kind of stuff in operation around my house. i love watching it. i thought about trying to get a p/t time job with some local farmers just so i can drive the machinery lol

Not a lot in my area but a lot in the south west of MN  I've always been fascinated by it.  JD and Catepillar were clients back in the day and I got to see their manu lines.  That shit looks huge indoors.  Impressive.  Never seen any of the big stuff in operation though.  I'd love to.