Check your account email address ×

Side X Side Thoughts and Recommendations

Looking to get a SxS that I can use as a personal plow, and something that I can play with up north that rides nice, has EPS, a winch, and handles reasonably well, I have no brand loyalty. I rented a CanAm Commander last summer and that unit rode like a dump truck so that is out, I'm also good with a top speed of 55-70 mph.

I can get a killer deal on a 2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS and 2017 Polaris RZR XP 1000 EPS, can I plow with these? Plastic blade.

My neighbor at the cabin plows with his RZR XP800 and it works great. He has the plow like mine that can be a straight or v-plow.

V-Bar tire chains on the rear are a must for plowing. Oh, and it rides really nice

• Thanks 1

I have a RZR, the Yamahas are nice too. I went with the Polaris for availability of parts and accessories. The CanAms are nice, but much more expensive (at least around here).

If you're ok without the top speed, (70 down a railroad bed on one of those things is plenty fast enough IMO) perhaps look for a 900S. Probably cheaper and more reliable. Plenty of power, never wanted more really. Zero issues with my RZR, and I beat the bag out of it. :ylsuper:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

My neighbor at the cabin plows with his RZR XP800 and it works great. He has the plow like mine that can be a straight or v-plow.

V-Bar tire chains on the rear are a must for plowing. Oh, and it rides really nice

That's really important as I have driven a Wildcat that just sucks up the bumps and in comparison that Commander was a dump truck like ride.

3 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

I have a RZR, the Yamahas are nice too. I went with the Polaris for availability of parts and accessories. The CanAms are nice, but much more expensive (at least around here).

If you're ok without the top speed, (70 down a railroad bed on one of those things is plenty fast enough IMO) perhaps look for a 900S. Probably cheaper and more reliable. Plenty of power, never wanted more really. Zero issues with my RZR, and I beat the bag out of it. :ylsuper:

900 would be plenty for me, the Polaris General looks like a decent machine, I wonder if it rides as well as the RZR?

Not +10k worth of handling and fun! IMO...

Definitely a quality machine, no doubt.

Ballsack is a baller money is not the issue, just ask him:guzzle: 

Edited by Momorider

Not +10k worth of handling and fun! IMO...

Definitely a quality machine, no doubt.

Huge discounts if you can find a leftover.

Have had my RZR 800 since new in 2009.  Never had a single issue.  I've not personally used it for plowing.  My buddy has the 2011 XP and uses it to plow with chains without issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DAVE said:

The can am x3 maverick hands down....its pricey...but nothing compares in ride...power and overall fun factor.

It looks like something out of a Batman movie :lol: 

It doesn't look like it will take a plow :dunno: 

Image result for can am x3 maverick for sale

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

I just picked a 2018 Polaris 1000 XP EPS.   Traded in my 900 xp EPS.

Personally I think for Utility the Polaris is hard to beat.   Polaris has more competition in the units that lean more towards utility than they ever had.

My dealer swapped out my fronts for another set of identical rear's.   I don't like the narrow tire front look and this allows for full rotation which I'm not sure is a huge advantage.  Needs wheel spacers not to rub a front A-Arm Gusset.

Polaris General is kind of in between an RZR and Ranger.

20180420_141431_resized_1.jpg

Edited by Highmark

11 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I just picked a 2018 Polaris 1000 XP EPS.   Traded in my 900 xp EPS.

Personally I think for Utility the Polaris is hard to beat.   Polaris has more competition in the units that lean more towards utility than they ever had.

My dealer swapped out my fronts for another set of identical rear's.   I don't like the narrow tire front look and this allows for full rotation which I'm not sure is a huge advantage.  Needs wheel spacers not to rub a front A-Arm Gusset.

Polaris General is kind of in between an RZR and Ranger.

20180420_141431_resized_1.jpg

How does that ride on rough terrain?

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

How does that ride on rough terrain?

Quite good actually.   Better than my 900.   I don't do any sport riding with mine so I like the full utility of the Ranger.   If I did some sport riding I'd get a General.   They got about 1/3 sized box but still get in and out like  truck and not like a RZR where its like climbing in and out of a dune buggy.  

1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Looking to get a SxS that I can use as a personal plow, and something that I can play with up north that rides nice, has EPS, a winch, and handles reasonably well, I have no brand loyalty. I rented a CanAm Commander last summer and that unit rode like a dump truck so that is out, I'm also good with a top speed of 55-70 mph.

I can get a killer deal on a 2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS and 2017 Polaris RZR XP 1000 EPS, can I plow with these? Plastic blade.

You really have to test drive them. The Yamaha yxz are very nice machines, but they ride rough because they are meant for hardcore sport riding. They ride awesome at 70 mph, but rough as shit at 25mph.

I was convinced on "paper" that I was going to buy a Maverick 4 seater. We went to a dealer that has both poo and can am. Test drove both back to back. Both the wife and I agreed the rzr drove much better than the maverick.

I ride with all different brands in our group. And honestly, no brand is any better than the other for being reliable. They've all been pretty good. Poo, AC, Can AM, Yamaha, Kawisaki. Actually the Kawi, has had they least amount of issues. But its also the slowest at 50mph and loud as shit with the engine between the seats like the Can ams. The Polaris are the quietest stock.

34 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Negative. Two different animals.

The general and the rzr share the same frame. Also the same suspensions. So they ride very very similar.