Check your account email address ×

If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

ckf

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Port Severn Ont. Boat on one side of the house and sled trail on the other. It's at the Georgian Bay end of the Trent Severn Waterway. A quick trip through the lock and then you're into the best cruising waters in the world. Great fishing on my doorstep and great sled trails running in lots of directions. Add to that Ontario ha 1/5 of the world fresh water. A short drive to the worlds longest fresh water beach. A 15 minute drive to all the stores and services I could need. Hope to have our house break ground in the spring 

Thats another area I want to visit! :bc:

11 minutes ago, ckf said:

What is the average winter snowfall like there? We average 120" here.

I actually looked at some places in VT, NH, ME before I made that choice to move back home to MN.  Good snowfall there and a beautiful area.  

• Like 1

Just now, Zambroski said:

I actually looked at some places in VT, NH, ME before I made that choice to move back home to MN.  Good snowfall there and a beautiful area.  

VT probably wouldn't have been a good choice for you, way to many liberals here. NH was a very conservative state until the libs moved in from MA. If I remember correctly, 25% of NH's population were born in MA.

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

VT probably wouldn't have been a good choice for you, way to many liberals here. NH was a very conservative state until the libs moved in from MA. If I remember correctly, 25% of NH's population were born in MA.

Deport the fuckers LOL

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

I would probably be in Revelstoke. I could look at this everyday

Revy2.jpg

Yep...beautiful for sure.  But unless your a backcountry rider (I am not).  It just doesn't have the appeal past a picture.  I vacationed all over CO and Idaho looking to see if that would be a nice place to live.  Most is high country dry desert in the summer.  And there is little population in the appealing riding areas.  And of course, little for groomed trail.  Some cool places to visit for sure...but live there?  Not for me.  Maybe if I quite riding I'd re-visit some place in CO.  But I've lived in enough places and grew up here in MN...it's where I'll probably stay.

19 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yep...beautiful for sure.  But unless your a backcountry rider (I am not).  It just doesn't have the appeal past a picture.  I vacationed all over CO and Idaho looking to see if that would be a nice place to live.  Most is high country dry desert in the summer.  And there is little population in the appealing riding areas.  And of course, little for groomed trail.  Some cool places to visit for sure...but live there?  Not for me.  Maybe if I quite riding I'd re-visit some place in CO.  But I've lived in enough places and grew up here in MN...it's where I'll probably stay.

Old guys can't ride backcountry :) 

5 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Old guys can't ride backcountry :) 

My mtn riding bud is 48.  And while he is no Chris Burant, I haven't been around a rider that is better than him yet. 

Id live in the Rockies in WY, but not near Jackson. To many fuckin tourists. 

Edited by Legend

2 minutes ago, Legend said:

My mtn riding bud is 48.  And while he is no Chris Burant, I haven't been around a rider that is better than him yet. 

Id live in the Rockies in WY, but not near Jackson. To many fuckin tourists. 

My main riding bud is 49?  Maybe 50 now.  He used to race sno-x back in the day.  And still, one of the best riders out there.  He still races some X-country shit.  Hoping to get a 600 this year so I can chase him.  But, none of us are the rider/athelete/sportsman we were back in our prime.  When we get excited about meat on fire in the evening.....our ideals and testosterone levels have changed.  Hell, I ask myself if I'd rather eat that extra plate of smoked meat and risk not being able to perform in the bedroom later.  Problem is....I'm asking too late.  Mmmmmm.....yummy.

:lol:

54 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I would want my wife to come with me and she thinks Parry Sound is the sticks.  

Not talking to the Newf here.

Part of why we are going for Port Severn. We have township water and sewer. She doesn't want to rely on well water or septic. We're 15 minutes to Midland, 10 to Coldwater, (I know it's small but there are some shops she likes) and about 25 minutes to either Barrie or Orillia.

She keeps doing a flip flop between moving and not moving out of Toronto. Every time I leave to head to Toronto it reminds me why I want to get out. The traffic grinds to a halt way out. Gridlock in Port Severn is 3 cars waiting for a boat to clear the swing bridge at the lock.

15 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Part of why we are going for Port Severn. We have township water and sewer. She doesn't want to rely on well water or septic. We're 15 minutes to Midland, 10 to Coldwater, (I know it's small but there are some shops she likes) and about 25 minutes to either Barrie or Orillia.

She keeps doing a flip flop between moving and not moving out of Toronto. Every time I leave to head to Toronto it reminds me why I want to get out. The traffic grinds to a halt way out. Gridlock in Port Severn is 3 cars waiting for a boat to clear the swing bridge at the lock.

Is your wife crazy. Well water is way safer and better than sewage that is cleaned and chemicals added then pumped to your taps. Nothing is better than a good well and septic.

17 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

My main riding bud is 49?  Maybe 50 now.  He used to race sno-x back in the day.  And still, one of the best riders out there.  He still races some X-country shit.  Hoping to get a 600 this year so I can chase him.  But, none of us are the rider/athelete/sportsman we were back in our prime.  When we get excited about meat on fire in the evening.....our ideals and testosterone levels have changed.  Hell, I ask myself if I'd rather eat that extra plate of smoked meat and risk not being able to perform in the bedroom later.  Problem is....I'm asking too late.  Mmmmmm.....yummy.

:lol:

When I said haven't met a better rider yet, I was talking about mtn riding. 

Racing, and trail riding are way way different then mtn riding. 

Im not bashing racing or trail riding either. They are just 2 totally different styles, and skills of riding. 

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I would want my wife to come with me and she thinks Parry Sound is the sticks.  

Not talking to the Newf here.

Just north of huntsville around Novar on Mirage lake is where I like..but not saying parry sound isnt nice... :bc:

dont get what you mean about the newf. :dunno: 

19 minutes ago, 02sled said:

My wife was a city girl and was surprised she wanted to move to Vaughan.  She used to get nosebleeds anytime north of Steeles Ave.  A possible scenario could be primarily on the Lake in Seguin and have a condo on Lake Simcoe to be closer to more civilization.  :lol:

I would never think of heading back to TO.

1 minute ago, DAVE said:

Just north of huntsville around Novar on Mirage lake is where I like..but not saying parry sound isnt nice... :bc:

dont get what you mean about the newf. :dunno: 

Bum-Fuck is not an option.  The wife thinks Parry Sound is too small.  :lol:

We (I) don't really like Huntsville, not powersport friendly enough.

22 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Bum-Fuck is not an option.  The wife thinks Parry Sound is too small.  :lol:

We (I) don't really like Huntsville, not powersport friendly enough.

:bc:

Just move where you want...its easier to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission. :lol2:

Edited by DAVE

19 minutes ago, Boered said:

Is your wife crazy. Well water is way safer and better than sewage that is cleaned and chemicals added then pumped to your taps. Nothing is better than a good well and septic.

Keep telling yourself that... Septic tank regulations keep getting tougher and tougher all the time. You have to watch what goes down the drain to some extent, have your septic pumped on occasion and a whole lot of other potential concerns. Last thing I want to be dealing with when I'm 80 is digging up and replacing the septic system. Then if you get good water flow from your well and the quality of the water from your well is good you're in luck. I know people who have wells that have spent small fortunes on water treatment and still have problems with odours, tannins and more. Friends son is building a house in the area and was $20,000 into drilling and just managed to get enough gallons per minute for the bank to give him a mortgage. Bottom line not all well water is good water. By the way the municipal water that goes to the taps here is not treated sewage. Don't know about where you are.

I like worry free.

Edited by 02sled

10 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Keep telling yourself that... Septic tank regulations keep getting tougher and tougher all the time. You have to watch what goes down the drain to some extent, have your septic pumped on occasion and a whole lot of other potential concerns. Last thing I want to be dealing with when I'm 80 is digging up and replacing the septic system. Then if you get good water flow from your well and the quality of the water from your well is good you're in luck. I know people who have wells that have spent small fortunes on water treatment and still have problems with odours, tannins and more. Friends son is building a house in the area and was $20,000 into drilling and just managed to get enough gallons per minute for the bank to give him a mortgage. Bottom line not all well water is good water. By the way the municipal water that goes to the taps here is not treated sewage. Don't know about where you are.

I like worry free.

Walkerton. End of debate.

31 minutes ago, Boered said:

Walkerton. End of debate.

Look up Walkerton.... people not doing their jobs right is the root cause and them not catching the contaminants of water that had been fine for a long time.

At the time of the event in May 2000, Stan Koebel was utilities manager for Walkerton, and his brother Frank Koebel was water foreman. Neither had any formal training in this position, retaining their jobs through three decades of on-the-job experience. The water supply, drawn from groundwater, became contaminated with the highly dangerous O157:H7 strain of E. coli bacteria. This contamination was due to farm runoff into an adjacent water well that had been known for years to be vulnerable to groundwater contamination.

So the Walkerton drinking water was not treated sewage as you seem to have suggested. It was groundwater aka well water and the contamination was from farm runoff into an adjacent well. How good is that well water you are drinking looking now. Do you test your well water daily for contaminants. Most people I know with a well have a filtration system of some sort. Some pretty sophisticated and others pretty basic and some not at all. Not sure many or any of them have their water tested regularly.

There were a lot of things learned from Walkerton and there are a whole lot of checks and balances put into place to avoid it happening again. 16 years later and nothing like it has ever happened since....

Edited by 02sled