Check your account email address ×

What should be done about the opioid epidemic in America?

1 minute ago, snopro31 said:

I'll take a withdrawling opioid user or a withdrawing meth head ANY day. 

And im not talking about sitting there talking to them about their "life choices"

I’ll work with either one. From detox to discharge and everything in between. I don’t discriminate. The worse they are, the better I like em. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

I’ll work with either one. From detox to discharge and everything in between. I don’t discriminate. The worse they are, the better I like em. 

its a revolving door.  small % actually change their lives.  many play the system.  lots relapse to harder drugs.

its a disaster here.  changing of physician prescribing has helped but now we have a meth spike. 

those on benzos and opioids never threatened to kill myself and staff when they overdosed.  they just slept. 

meth heads.  fuck that shit

22 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

No. Contrary to popular belief, there’s many recreational meth users. Like opiates, withdrawal is almost never dangerous. Unlike alcohol withdrawal 

I know a guy who turned into a meth Head. Then he just stopped cold turkey because he didn’t want to be a meth head and said it was easy 

Just now, snopro31 said:

its a revolving door.  small % actually change their lives.  many play the system.  lots relapse to harder drugs.

its a disaster here.  changing of physician prescribing has helped but now we have a meth spike. 

those on benzos and opioids never threatened to kill myself and staff when they overdosed.  they just slept. 

meth heads.  fuck that shit

The problem with people is that they fail to look long term when it comes to recovery from addiction. Recovery occurs in stages.

I’ve never been threatened by a meth addict in a paranoid state. Those that do get attracted have usually challenged them. The only difficulty I had was once being attacked by a man who came in after smoking pot soaked in embalming fluid. He tried to gouge out my eyes to keep me from looking at him. That got a little strange. 

51 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

It comes and goes. Was back at the doctor today

I shit regular as a rooster.  Those vikes put a cork in your spinktoid muscles.  There's your tip o' the day.  You're welcome. :bc: 

28 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

No. Contrary to popular belief, there’s many recreational meth users. Like opiates, withdrawal is almost never dangerous. Unlike alcohol withdrawal 

Oh , well in that case.  Meth good now? Wut?  

Edited by DriftBusta

3 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I know a guy who turned into a meth Head. Then he just stopped cold turkey because he didn’t want to be a meth head and said it was easy 

Spontainious remission. It’s fairly common with amphetamines and stimulants. The concern though is cross addiction. The actual drug use is but a symptom of addiction. 

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

I shit regular as a rooster.  Those vikes put a cork in your spinktoid muscles.  There's your tip o' the day.  You're welcome. :bc: 

I’m sure somehow you managed to extract that from what I wrote. 

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The problem with people is that they fail to look long term when it comes to recovery from addiction. Recovery occurs in stages.

I’ve never been threatened by a meth addict in a paranoid state. Those that do get attracted have usually challenged them. The only difficulty I had was once being attacked by a man who came in after smoking pot soaked in embalming fluid. He tried to gouge out my eyes to keep me from looking at him. That got a little strange. 

ive had knives pulled, death threats and a few times close physical contact. 

opioid abuse has decreased here but not sure how long it will last.  more and more fentanyl and hydromorph around again.  the cost of the drugs has pushed many to meth.  its 1/2 the cost for a hit.  withdrawing from opioids wont kill a person in a semi controlled setting.  they will just hate their lives at the peak. 

2 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

ive had knives pulled, death threats and a few times close physical contact. 

opioid abuse has decreased here but not sure how long it will last.  more and more fentanyl and hydromorph around again.  the cost of the drugs has pushed many to meth.  its 1/2 the cost for a hit.  withdrawing from opioids wont kill a person in a semi controlled setting.  they will just hate their lives at the peak. 

The only drugs that’ll kill or permanently debilitate during withdrawal are the sedatives. Mainly alcohol.  

8 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Medicine has to change its paradigm. That is what kicked off this epidemic. Sadly, America has had a high rate of addiction throughout its short history. Opiates and opioids are giving way to crack and meth. Somewhat less destructive. Still, alcohol and tobacco far outstrip narcotics for their destructiveness. Hypocritical for sure. 

I was shocked how many more deaths are attributed to alcohol and tobacco over opiates, cocaine and meth. 

18 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

The meth was real bad around here for a few years.  Pretty much anything metal seemed like it was up for grabs.  One methhead tried to sell a brand new Featherlite to the scraper. 

I've been calling for action over this since 1999. I've always maintained that our biggest threat was Mexican, central and South American cartels and NOT Muslims. If I was king of the US I would put our military on destroying Mexican gamgs and cartels. Kill em all. Then decriminalize drugs so it doesn't start all over. There's too many bad people in Mexico and to the south. If you take away this revenue source they will just resort to other vicious crimes. They need to be killed. Fire bomb all of the poppy fields in the middle East too. 

3 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

I was shocked how many more deaths are attributed to alcohol and tobacco over opiates, cocaine and meth. 

It sort of leaves those of us working in addictions shaking our heads. Eventually the vast majority of the young people addicted to opiates, stimulants, and amphetamines will cycle out of it. Right into the waiting arms of booze. :lol: 

It happened with civil war vets addicted to opiates and it happened with the cocaine addicts of the late “70’s. Alcohol remains the king. 

2 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

I’m off the codine so I’m good. Just pregabalin and ibuprofen now but fuck this itchy painful shit I want to punch it in the face 

45 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I’m off the codine so I’m good. Just pregabalin and ibuprofen now but fuck this itchy painful shit I want to punch it in the face 

Geez mang that sucks....hope it heals up fast for you. :bc:

8 hours ago, Nazipigdog said:

well they're legal and socially "acceptable", so I don't think its an apples to apples comparison.   There are millions of functioning alcoholics or people who smoke every day.   Not excusing anything mind you.  

8 hours ago, spin_dry said:

The only drugs that’ll kill or permanently debilitate during withdrawal are the sedatives. Mainly alcohol.  

Kind of fucked up isn’t it?  My wife is an icu nurse. Early on in her career she told me that they had a guy die from quitting booze cold turkey. His whole system just shut down. I was really surprised at the time because the media feared drug at the time was crack. 

9 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

This “guy you know” wouldn’t happen to spend all day on the internet as therapy would he? 

1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

This “guy you know” wouldn’t happen to spend all day on the internet as therapy would he? 

No it’s not you if that’s what you’re asking 

• Platinum Contributing Member
18 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Too many people don't have a problem with it. Those same people are highly opposed to increasing H1B visa's. I'm opposed to both.

Same here.  H1B visa's should only come with a high degree of proof you cannot find an American to do the job. 

15 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

What about big pharma pushing this stuff and making it very lucrative for the docs to fill there pockets?

No market, no sales.   The docs are the problem.  Seen it first hand with my kids at the over prescribing of pain killers.  

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Same here.  H1B visa's should only come with a high degree of proof you cannot find an American to do the job. 

Yep I don't want my neighbors with a degree losing their jobs to an Indian anymore then I want my unlicensed tradesman neighbor too lose his to an Illegal alien.

Just now, steve from amherst said:

Yep I don't want my neighbors with a degree losing their jobs to an Indian anymore then I want my unlicensed tradesman neighbor too lose his to an Illegal alien.

Lot of things I don't like about how Trump acts but Immigration is the most important issue to me and he is the ONLY candidate that is even remotely pro American enough on this.  

I could care less if he was fucking Story Daniels in the oval office as long as he stays tough on ALL forms of immigration.   After all the dems already said that behavior is not a big deal.