Check your account email address ×

Sweet Corn

ckf

7 minutes ago, old indy said:

It should be. I have to go see. Holden farms in Grafton ma grows it but it IS tough to find nowadays. The old silver Queen veriety is replaced by silver ??????  

They told me once before but cant recall the new strains name. 

Do you want my address so you can send some if it's ready, LOL

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, favoritos said:

We had family over from across the pond.  They used to eat grilled field corn until they tasted our sweet corn. 

I was glad to corrupt the European taste buds.  Did the corn on the grill and boiled.  They could not believe how great the corn tasted.

Our local corn is just about done this year :baby:t done this year. It is a bummer.  I had only about two dozen ears myself.

We just started getting good local corn here. The local corn usually goes though early September.

6 hours ago, ckf said:

You can skip all that shit.  Any more then butter, salt, and pepper on sweet corn should be punishable by prison time.  Old Bay during craw fish boils.  

3 hours ago, favoritos said:

We had family over from across the pond.  They used to eat grilled field corn until they tasted our sweet corn. 

I was glad to corrupt the European taste buds.  Did the corn on the grill and boiled.  They could not believe how great the corn tasted.

Our local corn is just about done this year.:baby: It is a bummer.  I had only about two dozen ears myself.

Some of the stuff we have raised for foreign markets could just as well be field corn.  Asian markets are like that too, very bland and starchy sweet corn.  We mainly raise Super Sweet.

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

You can skip all that shit.  Any more then butter, salt, and pepper on sweet corn should be punishable by prison time.  Old Bay during craw fish boils.  

Some of the stuff we have raised for foreign markets could just as well be field corn.  Asian markets are like that too, very bland and starchy sweet corn.  We mainly raise Super Sweet.

Agreed with the exception of pepper, just salt and butter for me :good:

47 minutes ago, soupkid said:

How does everybody here do their corn on the BBQ.

I husk it, salt, pepper, butter, wrap in tinfoil and about 5 mins on the BBQ.

I husk it, brush with olive oil and grill it.

Nope, i posted that last comment logged off and drove over there,,, nothing yet. that field is a wet one so they dont get to plant it till late, along with it being a later variety.

its just over knee high right now.  i picked up some Mariha or mahria or sumthin like that,, just picked   :bc:

4 minutes ago, old indy said:

Nope, i posted that last comment logged off and drove over there,,, nothing yet. that field is a wet one so they dont get to plant it till late, along with it being a later variety.

its just over knee high right now.  i picked up some Mariha or mahria or sumthin like that,, just picked   :bc:

The corn was late here too. I ended up with 4 good ears out of the 6 I got a few days ago. The 2 bad ones were picked before they were ready.

On August 11, 2016 at 8:16 PM, Stephen Hawking said:

Snagged a half dozen ears of b+s corn from a friends farm on my way home today, it was so good I wished I had grabbed a dozen.

How does a vegetable like you eat corn? Dr. Hawking :dunno:   

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 8:17 AM, soupkid said:

We put the corn in a bag and soak it in the lake for a few hours then grill it. Pull the husks off and ready to go. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 8/12/2016 at 1:40 PM, ckf said:

So I can assume you haven't found any Silver Queen yet?

Shit, its all over the place around here, every roadside stand is selling it, I bet I drove by 20 stands yesterday selling it.  12 ears for $3 :good:

On 8/12/2016 at 8:17 AM, soupkid said:

I cut both ends off, soak in a pot of water making sure to squeeze the corn to see air bubbles come out and soak in that water for like an hour. Grill for 20-30min. husk, then pour a garlic butter mixture on it..

21 hours ago, ckf said:

Did you end up going to the farmers market yesterday?

no i didnt,  it will be a little longer till its ready at that one farm.

others may have it,i havent looked around. im runnin over to doug russell marine in shrewsbury in a bit i will have to look on the way. 

• Like 1