Check your account email address ×

The home buying party is breaking up.

2 hours ago, Wildboer said:

This is dead on. How long can you make a mortgage before it makes more sense to rent though? 

The only good thing about a mortgage is it eventually goes away and will never go up assuming you fixed the rate. Renting you are at the mercy of the landlord and the economics of the area around you. Eventually you may have to move if rent prices go up quicker than your wages.

1 hour ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

It's a personal decision I suppose. I prefer to have the ability to put a urinal in my bathroom, because I want to. Or, not having to adhere to some landlords lease agreement, saying I'm not allowed to do burnouts in my driveway because I'm feeling frisky. "How long to pay a mortgage?" Depends on how diligent you are to paying it off, and how comfortable you are living under the hand of "the man".

19 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

If one is disciplined and can fit it into their lifestyle, renting is cheaper long term. My investments have done far better than housing appreciation. I don’t find a house to be a very good investment. 

I don't consider a house an investment, I mostly agree with the post above yours about the freedom owning gives you (assuming no HOA). I can do what I want for the most part on my hunk of land, shoot some deer or turkeys, have a place to test out my sleds, etc.. I agree a home isn't necessarily the world's best financial choice in all situations.

1 hour ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Huh? Why would you bring politics into this? I know liberals that are much better off than conservatives, vise versa. Has nothing to do with politics, it's all about planning. :pan:

X2s. My ol lady's hardcore liberal prius driving aunt and her computer engineer life partner make more than the rest of her entire family combined a year, but they also live in a downtown Boston 800 Sq ft condo for double the price it just cost me for my place so it's all about what you're into. :lol::bc:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wildboer said:

You seem to be under the impression home buying is affordable.

For me, as an only child with well to do parents, I'm inheriting at least one paid off home... If it weren't for that I could be renting for life at this rate.

I grew up with borderline food stamp parents in a single wide older mobile home until I was in high school, take advantage of your situation brah. :bc:

4 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

The only good thing about a mortgage is it eventually goes away and will never go up assuming you fixed the rate. Renting you are at the mercy of the landlord and the economics of the area around you. Eventually you may have to move if rent prices go up quicker than your wages.

I don't consider a house an investment, I mostly agree with the post above yours about the freedom owning gives you (assuming no HOA). I can do what I want for the most part on my hunk of land, shoot some deer or turkeys, have a place to test out my sleds, etc.. I agree a home isn't necessarily the world's best financial choice in all situations.

X2s. My ol lady's hardcore liberal prius driving aunt and her computer engineer life partner make more than the rest of her entire family combined a year, but they also live in a downtown Boston 800 Sq ft condo for double the price it just cost me for my place so it's all about what you're into. :lol::bc:

Hey Skee doo homo , you ever close on that place ??   :bc:

2 hours ago, GGNHL said:

I worry about wages not keeping up with rising prices for younger generations. I just bought a $260k house on 28acres of land and had enough down not to pay PMI. I doubt  more than maybe 4 other people I know in my age range could have done the same thing and not had it stretch them to their absolute income limits. We're eventually going to see a severe home affordability issue especially for first time buyers which will effect people who currently own homes and want to sell. Prices can't keep going up forever if people can't afford them, but honestly wouldn't be surprised to see banks start to come out with greater than 30 year mortgage products to help keep things moving...

8 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

Hey Skee doo homo , you ever close on that place ??   :bc:

SMFH... :ronald:

Was gonna make a post on teamcoddlers but just haven't gotten around to it yet. :lol::bc:

Edited by GGNHL

3 hours ago, awful knawful said:

I think a house worth $150000 - $200000 is an asset.....

Let me guess you rent, lease cars and don't own anything?

And fuck all saved for retirement or any pension?

One day, one butt hole at a time attitude.

That’s a down payment in Canada. Average detached house in Toronto hit 1million.  Hard to find anything in my small town under 500 grand. 

2 hours ago, awful knawful said:

Most i paid was 4.5%?

At the end I think it was 3.5%?

I would lock for 5 years and remortgage at 4.5 years and lock in again without penalties. 

Bought in 2004. Paid in 2014.

Made many, many double payments. Paid weekly.

25 year mortgage took 10.5 years.

They were 14% in the 80’s when I bought. Imagine what would happen if they closed in on 10% again 

2 hours ago, GGNHL said:

I worry about wages not keeping up with rising prices for younger generations. I just bought a $260k house on 28acres of land and had enough down not to pay PMI. I doubt  more than maybe 4 other people I know in my age range could have done the same thing and not had it stretch them to their absolute income limits. We're eventually going to see a severe home affordability issue especially for first time buyers which will effect people who currently own homes and want to sell. Prices can't keep going up forever if people can't afford them, but honestly wouldn't be surprised to see banks start to come out with greater than 30 year mortgage products to help keep things moving...

You would have to be in the middle of nowhere in Canada to get something like that. I can’t imagine that could drop much. 

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

He won't have to worry about it for long.

Eh, easy come ....easy go.

I hope this forum is still going and you are still alive so I can shove how wrong this is in your face one day. Just kidding! Hope is for suckers :lol: Amazing how you're comforting yourself by speculating that I will be a failure though, says a lot about conservatism, liberalism, and capitalism.

51 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

My grandfather past away last month at 101 years young...Out lived 3 of 5 children.. Something to think about on the bold..

They have a sound retirement plan and I am a good, loving son... if they outlive me, sure, the title won't change. Do you think the 101 year old retiree's want to be bothered with paperwork? By then I'll have power of attorney if only for convenience sake. You see, the flipside of being an only child is there is no one else to stick around. I can't pawn my parents off on a sibling and I'm not leaving them to die with their child off in another state somewhere. 

6 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

That’s a down payment in Canada. Average detached house in Toronto hit 1million.  Hard to find anything in my small town under 500 grand. 

They were 14% in the 80’s when I bought. Imagine what would happen if they closed in on 10% again 

You would have to be in the middle of nowhere in Canada to get something like that. I can’t imagine that could drop much. 

Yeah it was a good deal, no realtor involved, the old couples daughter put it on Craigslist for them. 1500 Sq ft 2005 built radiant heated ranch with a 2 car attached garage they had built. 

20 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Like me :thumbsup: 2400 sq foot 4 bedroom 2 bathroom home 1200 sq foot finished garage,,,,,,,, built in 98,,,,, paid $190,000. Same house 2 hours away in Thunder Bay would be well over 3X times that value. Downside is $5000 in land taxes a year.

Edited by Guest

29 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

I hope this forum is still going and you are still alive so I can shove how wrong this is in your face one day. Just kidding! Hope is for suckers :lol: Amazing how you're comforting yourself by speculating that I will be a failure though, says a lot about conservatism, liberalism, and capitalism.

They have a sound retirement plan and I am a good, loving son... if they outlive me, sure, the title won't change. Do you think the 101 year old retiree's want to be bothered with paperwork? By then I'll have power of attorney if only for convenience sake. You see, the flipside of being an only child is there is no one else to stick around. I can't pawn my parents off on a sibling and I'm not leaving them to die with their child off in another state somewhere. 

Find yourself a sugar daddy and be his poolboy twink.

• Platinum Contributing Member
53 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

No, I hear you bro, I wasn't at all implying you would ditch off the parents,  just pointing out the lake house in OF could possibly take longer than you have in mind..

At his 100 and 1/2 b-day..💪☝☝

DSC_1637.JPG

4 hours ago, Wildboer said:

Fuck buying homes as an investment. It's stupid and unsusta. Shelter isn't something to gamble with.

you are a fool if you pay  rent . one of my rentals a woman has litteraly bought the fucking duplex in rent. she has been there just over 15 yrs and her rent has coverd the whole payment every mo .

long term stupid not to own . very stupid .

short term if you do not know what you are doing you can deff loose your ass. seen a lot of people who watch way to much flip this shit box showes and really think it only cost 5k to redo a kit and 3k to do the bath and 2k for a roof lmfao . those shows should be illegal 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wildboer said:

Fuck buying homes as an investment. It's stupid and unsusta. Shelter isn't something to gamble with.

A house that you buy to live in is not an investment. I always get into arguments with people about this. An investment is something that makes you money, the house you live in will cost you 5x what you sell it for... At least. It's an asset but not an investment.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

A house that you buy to live in is not an investment. I always get into arguments with people about this. An investment is something that makes you money, the house you live in will cost you 5x what you sell it for... At least. It's an asset but not an investment.  

So, paying to rent and, at the same time paying for the owners equity in the property is a better option?? Lol

Investments don't always make money. Lol

5x what you sell it for?? Where are you getting this figure? You're doing it wrong! Lol

12 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

So, paying to rent and, at the same time paying for the owners equity in the property is a better option?? Lol

5x what you sell it for?? Where are you getting this figure? You're doing it wrong! Lol

Sometimes it is, yes. 

The definition of investment is something that makes you money over time fucktard. When it doesn't make you money it's called a loss. What a fucking idiot you are.

Oh and if I have to explain interest ammortization to you, then you should not he having this conversation. 

Edited by Nazipigdog

16 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Right.  You are living in the house so you are getting a benefit. If my house loses  half it's value. I have  lived there for 15 years  I get my initial investment back.

If I had rented the house, I would get zero .

2 hours ago, GGNHL said:

Yeah it was a good deal, no realtor involved, the old couples daughter put it on Craigslist for them. 1500 Sq ft 2005 built radiant heated ranch with a 2 car attached garage they had built. 

That is amazing.  Are you close to any big cities?

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

you are a fool if you pay  rent . one of my rentals a woman has litteraly bought the fucking duplex in rent. she has been there just over 15 yrs and her rent has coverd the whole payment every mo .

long term stupid not to own . very stupid .

short term if you do not know what you are doing you can deff loose your ass. seen a lot of people who watch way to much flip this shit box showes and really think it only cost 5k to redo a kit and 3k to do the bath and 2k for a roof lmfao . those shows should be illegal 

It depends. When house prices get too high or interest rates do and it costs you way more to rent the house than it does to rent the money from the bank, and on top of that houses are a all time highs, the then what's the difference?

17 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Sometimes it is, yes. 

The definition of investment is something that makes you money over time fucktard. When it doesn't make you money it's called a loss. What a fucking idiot you are.

Oh and if I have to explain interest ammortization to you, then you should not he having this conversation. 

You're so funny, editing after the fact. Yes, that is one definition of "investment". If it was that easy, why isn't everyone doing it? Lol

Investments can fail and, cause losses too, smart guy. Lol

2 hours ago, Wildboer said:

Wow. That is really bizarre. I really don't give two shits what you do or don't do. Sounds like you may have some daddy issues to work out?

You are spending way too much time on the internet. You are becoming delusional.