Check your account email address ×

Iron dog is live

Anler

15 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

The GPS tracker shows a lot of teams pushing through the Alaska Range.  This is pretty impressive.  I can't say that I have ever seen this many teams all bunched up like this on Day one.  Almost everyone is moving along really good.

https://www.irondog.org/gps-tracking/

So looking at that map...where is the burn located?

3 minutes ago, DAVE said:

So looking at that map...where is the burn located?

If you look at the gps tracker right now Team 11 is getting out of the woods and entering the Farewell Burn.  Team 10 is about 5 miles into the burn already.  The burn is about 50 miles long.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

If you look at the gps tracker right now Team 11 is getting out of the woods and entering the Farewell Burn.  Team 10 is about 5 miles into the burn already.  The burn is about 50 miles long.  

I thought so but wasnt sure...thx :bc:

The front 3-4 teams are through Nikolai headed to McGrath.  In McGrath everyone will take a layover.  Once everyone is in McGrath the course times will be corrected and the racers will be shown in their actual position.  From what I can tell it looks like Team 8 will be the leaders once their time corrections are all figured out.  Looks like there are at least 10 teams within 30 minutes of the leaders.  

This has been a very fast pace to McGrath.  Possibly even a record pace.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

The front 3-4 teams are through Nikolai headed to McGrath.  In McGrath everyone will take a layover.  Once everyone is in McGrath the course times will be corrected and the racers will be shown in their actual position.  From what I can tell it looks like Team 8 will be the leaders once their time corrections are all figured out.  Looks like there are at least 10 teams within 30 minutes of the leaders.  

This has been a very fast pace to McGrath.  Possibly even a record pace.  

Must be all ski doos! :lol:

27f in McGrath right now.  Normally it's -45 when the Iron Doggers hit town.  This is crazy warm weather.  

I just read that there is a Big storm brewing on the coast and up through the Yukon interior.  The front runners may be breaking snow all day tomorrow.  

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

27f in McGrath right now.  Normally it's -45 when the Iron Doggers hit town.  This is crazy warm weather.  

I just read that there is a Big storm brewing on the coast and up through the Yukon interior.  The front runners may be breaking snow all day tomorrow.  

How long is the layover? They have to stop?

11 minutes ago, DAVE said:

How long is the layover? They have to stop?

Yes, everyone will stop in MCGrath tonight.  IF a team stopped and took layover before McGrath they don't have to stop in McGrath tomorrow when they come through.

I would guess most of the top teams will take either 10 or 12 hrs of layover in MCGrath.  

• Like 1

Of the Top 15 teams.  9 Poo, 5 Doo and 1 Cat.    The race has just begun.  Lots will change over the next couple of days.  

These pics are from the trail class guys who made it to the mighty Yukon River today.  They claimed to have pushed through lots of fresh snow today.  Tomorrow the racers will cruise through the same part of the trail.  

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27972511_895080053987740_3091774748961170445_n.jpg?oh=32a6bd8b6dcf4abc99ab13b023258926&oe=5B20B0A3

Edited by AKIQPilot

So 25 out of 28 teams made it to MCGrath on the first day of the race.  This is likely a record.  Many years only half the teams make it to MCGrath the first day. 

Team 20 Faeo/Gueco flushed the diesel out of their tank and took 6hrs of layover in Skwentna.  They hit the trail last night about 7pm and made it to McGrath early this morning.  They are currently sitting in 12th place about 54 minutes behind the leaders.  

Racers will be leaving McGrath at 9am.  Just under an hour from now.