Check your account email address ×

Anyone know about boilers?

1 minute ago, Big Crappie said:

So putting a penny under a 20a fustat so it will work in a 15 amp socket is a bad idea? LOL

Did that for years in the cabin but the wire was all 12 guage.

Well if you needed 20 amps that’s one way to get it lol

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

You were probably right on the breaker part, but not the higher part. The breaker is there to protect the cable. If you put in a higher fuse, and you have a problem, then there is a chance the cable becomes the fuse, and melts, and burns. If the fuse size that was there before was sized correctly and worked for many years, your best bet is to stay with the same size breaker that has done its job for many years previous. Do not up the breaker size, that is asking for trouble, and possibly a fire. 

Of course I agree about the HEAVIER breaker NOT being an answer. I just mentioned that almost jokingly, but in fact it was BASICALLY the right answer. 

My answer was tongue-in-cheek, because I do like these scenarios, and I do like XR. 

I get a kick out of these fixes, and wanted to chime in, out of fun. I turned-out being close. 

The negative response to my answer I construe as indicative of several members, who I have beaten on this site on a daily basis, and have a SERIOUSLY hard time, accepting that " OWNAGE, WITH POWER ". 

1 hour ago, Polaris 550 said:

Of course I agree about the HEAVIER breaker NOT being an answer. I just mentioned that almost jokingly, but in fact it was BASICALLY the right answer. 

My answer was tongue-in-cheek, because I do like these scenarios, and I do like XR. 

I get a kick out of these fixes, and wanted to chime in, out of fun. I turned-out being close. 

The negative response to my answer I construe as indicative of several members, who I have beaten on this site on a daily basis, and have a SERIOUSLY hard time, accepting that " OWNAGE, WITH POWER ". 

You’re a fucking moron

8 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

2 days ago he got the breaker and like Ben said that was what was wrong, he said this morning that the concrete floor had finally warmed up.

We have stamped concrete in the main room and garage. Once we turn the heat on and it warms up it's easy to maintain the heat. Gotta love infloor heating

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 9:18 AM, Polaris 550 said:

Circuit is tripping, can't handle the load.

Need heavier wire or higher amp breaker.

LOL!

Come on X, ya' know I was close!!!!     :lmao:

24 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Put a bigger breaker.

I read on the net it'll fix it.

LOL.

Breakers protect wire.  I see stuff that makes me shiver. They do get weak over time. Easiest way to check is load it up, measure amp draw, infrared thermometer the breaker. It should not get much hotter than the environment it's in. If the draw is within %80 of the breaker and you see temps of 110F or more anywhere on the breaker, she's toast.

I used to build boilers, dealt with thermolec. The up scaling of electric heat on demand used to be done with step controllers, with sensors that took outside temps, output temps and heat gain algorithms.

It ain't rocket appliances if you understand how it all works.

There is an 30 kw Make Up Air unit for a water treatment plant, SCR heating to maintain discharge air temperature I build, being tested at 600V under full load. We have since gone from the two speed motors with overloads to VFD's, controlled by the building PLC.

The last ones, and maybe the last ever were for Toronto Community Housing. They needed an MAU to compensate for the air draw they had in the laundry room. As more and more dryers get used, my MAU ramps up the blower with a VFDIMG_0449.thumb.JPG.4ea68fe5d79a8731bd211711b21265a1.JPG and SCR heating to keep the room 70F with neutral air pressure. My best work ever IMO....too bad me and my dad are getting too old for this stuff. Our competition builds 3 year junk, we build 20 year units.

1101474855_IMG_1243(2016_01_0300_00_09UTC)(2016_12_2023_03_49UTC).thumb.JPG.0035cbae0dcdd089e000f95c2faf9c54.JPG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

LOL.

Breakers protect wire.  I see stuff that makes me shiver. They do get weak over time. Easiest way to check is load it up, measure amp draw, infrared thermometer the breaker. It should not get much hotter than the environment it's in. If the draw is within %80 of the breaker and you see temps of 110F or more anywhere on the breaker, she's toast.

I used to build boilers, dealt with thermolec. The up scaling of electric heat on demand used to be done with step controllers, with sensors that took outside temps, output temps and heat gain algorithms.

It ain't rocket appliances if you understand how it all works.

There is an 30 kw Make Up Air unit for a water treatment plant, SCR heating to maintain discharge air temperature I build, being tested at 600V under full load. We have since gone from the two speed motors with overloads to VFD's, controlled by the building PLC.

The last ones, and maybe the last ever were for Toronto Community Housing. They needed an MAU to compensate for the air draw they had in the laundry room. As more and more dryers get used, my MAU ramps up the blower with a VFDIMG_0449.thumb.JPG.4ea68fe5d79a8731bd211711b21265a1.JPG and SCR heating to keep the room 70F with neutral air pressure. My best work ever IMO....too bad me and my dad are getting too old for this stuff. Our competition builds 3 year junk, we build 20 year units.

1101474855_IMG_1243(2016_01_0300_00_09UTC)(2016_12_2023_03_49UTC).thumb.JPG.0035cbae0dcdd089e000f95c2faf9c54.JPG

Backread in this thread. You'll see why I posted what I did.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

What ya getting?

I know this sounds stupid but I don’t know..since I’m a moron I called a guy that we have known for years and he is going to replace it for us and I didn’t ask what he ordered.😂

This one has a standing pilot and no damper so I do know the new one will have a damper and electronic ignition .

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I know this sounds stupid but I don’t know..since I’m a moron I called a guy that we have known for years and he is going to replace it for us and I didn’t ask what he ordered.😂

This one has a standing pilot and no damper so I do know the new one will have a damper and electronic ignition .

Furnace? Boiler?

49 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Backread in this thread. You'll see why I posted what I did.

LOL

I understand...and understood

It is tripping the breaker, or blowing the fuse.

Put a bigger one in...

Like WTF, that is not what should be done, ever, by anyone...

People some times ask me if I'm an electrician, I politely ask them not to insult me. 

My dad is an electrical and mechanical engineer. Schooled, certified.

He can build a rocket ship on a napkin....give him a set of tools and ask him to assemble said rocket from his plans and he's fucked.

Edited by Voodoo