Check your account email address ×

Ben...what’s up with the M5?

Just now, frenchy said:

:lol: ok then I missed that :bc: 

It was a time bomb though because of basically two issues. A melting gear position sensor harness or a failed rod bearing. It was a fucking race motor. The rod bearings had .001 clearance and it ran 60 weight oil. The motor made over 100hp per liter of displacement NA. Chevy would never dream of trying to build anything like it 

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, frenchy said:

dude it was one of the most unreliable modern performance cars of all time.

There's a reason you aren't sharing why you only put 3k on it over the time you had it then dumped it. 

Yup....mine was in the shop more than I drove it......from tranny issues to differential leaks and electrical problems.....every time I pushed the start button I was afraid of some warming light about to go off on the dash.  Virtually everything was covered under warranty  but I dumped that car as soon as warrenty was about to expire....wish I had done it sooner because I absolutely love the V.   By far the best car I ever owned. Low maintenance and zero issues aside from a power steering hose leak which I fixed myself for $38

28 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It was a time bomb though because of basically two issues. A melting gear position sensor harness or a failed rod bearing. It was a fucking race motor. The rod bearings had .001 clearance and it ran 60 weight oil. The motor made over 100hp per liter of displacement NA. Chevy would never dream of trying to build anything like it 

I did love the high reving  screaming V10....but love the supercharger sound of the V even more.

1 hour ago, Snake said:

E46 was a great platform. I owned 4 of them. Hated the front suspension, rear was prone to rusting. Coolant system suffered from hard plastic leaks. Couldn't kill them, especially the 3.0 version.

My E93 has for the most part been flawless. I replaced the valve cover gasket, and various regular maintenance items. Runs like a dream, shifts like a new one.

The X5 now has 163k. The 4.4 burns oil cause of valve seals, but it's paid for and I'll keep it till it dies. Did kill a water pump that cost less than one for a Chevy.

Overall, good maintenance seems to do the trick.

I think I'd own an X5, or a 3 series with the inline 6 motor.  That 750 drove like no other, but gave me a bad taste with some of the issues, which could get real expensive if it wasn't under warranty.  Soft close doors not closing up in Jtown on a -10f night was a treat one time.  Needed a 3500 dollar radiator and other assorted bits at 40,000 miles, brakes and tires at 30k etc..

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I think I'd own an X5, or a 3 series with the inline 6 motor.  That 750 drove like no other, but gave me a bad taste with some of the issues, which could get real expensive if it wasn't under warranty.  Soft close doors not closing up in Jtown on a -10f night was a treat one time.  Needed a 3500 dollar radiator and other assorted bits at 40,000 miles, brakes and tires at 30k etc..

3500 bucks for a radiator...holy shit.😩

55 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Yup....mine was in the shop more than I drove it......from tranny issues to differential leaks and electrical problems.....every time I pushed the start button I was afraid of some warming light about to go off on the dash.  Virtually everything was covered under warranty  but I dumped that car as soon as warrenty was about to expire....wish I had done it sooner because I absolutely love the V.   By far the best car I ever owned. Low maintenance and zero issues aside from a power steering hose leak which I fixed myself for $38

I did love the high reving  screaming V10....but love the supercharger sound of the V even more.

The problem with the v10 was that the car didn’t really come alive until you were already pushing 100....that fucking started to pull like a much higher hp car as it passed the 100 mark

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

3500 bucks for a radiator...holy shit.😩

That was 1 month from the warranty expiring, and even with my nephew giving me the VIP treatment with it.  He even said, "you should probably send this one" at the time.  Turns out there is some kind of plastic expansion tank that mounts on the radiator, that with wear and vibration is known to fail prematurely, causing loss of coolant.  That coolant they use is some thick shit and the color of oil.  I thought I had an oil leak, so I run it up to him, and he says, "no its coolant, and this car has two coolant circuits, one for the motor and one for the turbos.  All the turbo coolant had leaked out.  I just remember joking with him and asking what would have happened if I kept driving it.  By the way no coolant lights flashing.  He said, "you don't even want to know....like around 50,000.  110,000 dollar car with a fucking plastic coolant reservoir, that is known to fail.  GMAFB.  Traded it on a pickup a week later.  :lol: 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, f7ben said:

The 2006 M5 broke the 200mph mark according to BMW and the CTS wasn’t even close

Not withstanding finding road where you can get that fast, I'd want to make sure I had brand new Z rated tires, and the thing was completely gone through.  One 140 mph speeding ticket cured me.  :lol: 

Just now, DriftBusta said:

Not withstanding finding road where you can get that fast, I'd want to make sure I had brand new Z rated tires, and the thing was completely gone through.  One 140 mph speeding ticket cured me.  :lol: 

I had my entire front suspension including struts etc torn down. Put it back together myself and got it aligned. I sure as shit had every bolt and bushing rolling through my head as I was doing 140+ lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Charger Hellcat pulls off 199 right off the showroom floor. 

Yah.....so slower than a 2006 M5 with 200 more HP ....1.4 more liters of displacement and a fucking blower

wow....amazing american junk

also the fucking thing can’t even go around a corner with more lateral Gs than a fucking corolla

Edited by f7ben

2 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

With the supercharger and a good exhaust the LS sounds great.  I'll start looking for another summer car in Feb and March like i did for this year.   And I think a CTSV will be right up there on the list.  

2 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

coworker dumped his as well as it came close to warranty ending.  He then made the IMO mistake of trading it on a barand new X7 which will end up mostl likely with the same issues given the powertrains the same.  Plus the insane first year BMW depreciation.  

9 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yah.....so slower than a 2006 M5 with 200 more HP ....1.4 more liters of displacement and a fucking blower

wow....amazing american junk

also the fucking thing can’t even go around a corner with more lateral Gs than a fucking corolla

Dodge climbed into the top 10 for reliability while BMW is way down the list. The guy in town who had the first year GTR and now has a Hellcat Challenger is going to upgrade to a widebody in the spring. GTR spent quality time at the dealership where the Hellcat just gets oil changes and tires....lots and lots of tires.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

Charger Hellcat pulls off 199 right off the showroom floor. 

I had this baby up in the high 160's and it was just coming on the pipe. I had to get rid of it b4 it killed me or I got a ticket that resulted in jail time. Supposedly 203 out of the box. I believe it. Every time I was on the road someone wanted to race. Only car that would stay in he same zip code was my buddy's tuned S8. But even he lost nerve north of 150.

20170725_175633.jpg

1 minute ago, s pump said:

I had this baby up in the high 160's and it was just coming on the pipe. I had to get rid of it b4 it killed me or I got a ticket that resulted in jail time. Supposedly 203 out of the box. I believe it. Every time I was on the road someone wanted to race. Only car that would stay in he same zip code was my buddy's tuned S8. But even he lost nerve north of 150.

20170725_175633.jpg

The crazy Austrailian who spends his summers on the lake has had 3 or 4 of those.....2 door and 4 door.  Crazy fast for as big as it is a low flying Lear jet. He buys the cars for light money at the auction but to work on t is crazy expensive....I think he said the tires were 5k and the filters for a oil change were a couple of hundred.

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

With the supercharger and a good exhaust the LS sounds great.  I'll start looking for another summer car in Feb and March like i did for this year.   And I think a CTSV will be right up there on the list.  

guy at my golf course has a real sharp ATS V. Nice car. I prefer the looks of them over the CTS to be honest. I was looking at them in the used market briefly not many around and they hold their value surprisingly well for a GM product. Came to my senses rather quick when I realized the next car I buy will be an all weather daily driver. 

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

The crazy Austrailian who spends his summers on the lake has had 3 or 4 of those.....2 door and 4 door.  Crazy fast for as big as it is a low flying Lear jet. He buys the cars for light money at the auction but to work on t is crazy expensive....I think he said the tires were 5k and the filters for a oil change were a couple of hundred.

They're not bad if you have a good independent mechanic. Motor is VW W-12 Twin Turbah. Weighed like 5300 pounds. Most secure feeling car at speed I ever drove. It squats down over 80. Tires are Pirelli P zeros, not to bad. Most parts cross with Audi A8s and VW Phaetons. I may try to find one as a garage queen. Only thing that was expensive was I pit a steel vacuum line system on it as the old plastic lines got brittle with all the heat underhood.

1 minute ago, s pump said:

They're not bad if you have a good independent mechanic. Motor is VW W-12 Twin Turbah. Weighed like 5300 pounds. Most secure feeling car at speed I ever drove. It squats down over 80. Tires are Pirelli P zeros, not to bad. Most parts cross with Audi A8s and VW Phaetons. I may try to find one as a garage queen. Only thing that was expensive was I pit a steel vacuum line system on it as the old plastic lines got brittle with all the heat underhood.

The W engine has been used in 8, 12 and 16 cylinder configurations in Vw's  Audi's and the Bugatti.