Check your account email address ×

Bought a Generator

f7ben

Cause the power has been out since yesterday at 10am. Power company said tonight at midnight but I heard they were having major trouble getting equipment to the lines due to the 3 inches of rain we got with some flooding etc etc.

So first this morning I got off midnights ....ran to menards and I bought a 1000W inverter just intending to run some lights and tv etc.....well the piece of fuck would only make 90V when the car was running and alternator was putting out 15v. Shut the car off and feed the inverter 12v and I got 120v out of it. But as soon as the battery dipped below 12v the fucking pile of shit shut itself off :lol: 

Said fuck that thing and boxed it back up.....I'm guessing I got one with a defective voltage regulator 

Cruised craigslist and found a great deal on a nice generator. 4kw , remote start and basically brand new. Some rich people on the lake had it listed yesterday. Had to drive 10 miles to find an atm that had power. Got the generator home and back fed my panel through an outside outlet. Jumpered both bus bars so I had all single phase circuits ......

And 45 minutes later the neighbors lights all came on :lol: 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Cause the power has been out since yesterday at 10am. Power company said tonight at midnight but I heard they were having major trouble getting equipment to the lines due to the 3 inches of rain we got with some flooding etc etc.

So first this morning I got off midnights ....ran to menards and I bought a 1000W inverter just intending to run some lights and tv etc.....well the piece of fuck would only make 90V when the car was running and alternator was putting out 15v. Shut the car off and feed the inverter 12v and I got 120v out of it. But as soon as the battery dipped below 12v the fucking pile of shit shut itself off :lol: 

Said fuck that thing and boxed it back up.....I'm guessing I got one with a defective voltage regulator 

Cruised craigslist and found a great deal on a nice generator. 4kw , remote start and basically brand new. Some rich people on the lake had it listed yesterday. Had to drive 10 miles to find an atm that had power. Got the generator home and back fed my panel through an outside outlet. Jumpered both bus bars so I had all single phase circuits ......

Lol!

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Power-Equipment-3-500-Watt-Remote-Electric-Start-Gasoline-Powered-RV-Ready-Portable-Generator-46539/203431693

Got this guy , all manuals and cabling etc ....basically brand new.......talked the guy out of it for 250$

Good for the money...but holy hell they are loud.

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Your neighbors that you for your sacrifice :lol:

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

lol that is how I run my house off the generator . worst part is for about 8 yrs I have had a generator back up automatic breaker box sitting under  my breaker box . just not worth the 1/2 a day od dicking around lol . I really must have had some extra ambition the day I plunked down 3 bills for it though

Just now, BEANPOLE DAVE said:

Mines out in my garage. Only used it a couple of times in the 4 years we've been here. I think the longest time has been about two hours.

Just now, ckf said:

Mines out in my garage. Only used it a couple of times in the 4 years we've been here. I think the longest time has been about two hours.

Youre lucky...power goes out here all the time.

3 minutes ago, BEANPOLE DAVE said:

Its no honda but its quieter than the cheapo's we have run at deer camp. It says 68db at full load from 23' ........its average I guess and all that you can expect for a cheap unit

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Power-Equipment-3-500-Watt-Remote-Electric-Start-Gasoline-Powered-RV-Ready-Portable-Generator-46539/203431693

Got this guy , all manuals and cabling etc ....basically brand new.......talked the guy out of it for 250$

You shit talking no nothing sparky fuck. That about the same thing I have. Remember????

1 minute ago, BEANPOLE DAVE said:

I'm not far from town and just off a major road. Well at least for around here :lol:

Just now, MiSledder said:

Gonna part it out now?

:lol:

Just now, Woodtick said:

You shit talking no nothing sparky fuck. That about the same thing I have. Remember????

aluminum windings and all :lol: its hard to be picky when the power is out 

2 minutes ago, BEANPOLE DAVE said:

I loose power about 3  times a yr 95% of the time it is on in 2 hrs from the same transformer the pops every time  . but the other times it is days and usually storm related the sump is the main reason I don't just say fuck it and head north   

15 minutes ago, f7ben said:

At least we didn't have to put up with your shit during that time!!!!!!!!!!11 :finger2:

:owned:

• Thanks 1

We were out for 7 days when we lived in the city. I said to the wife lets pack up and go to the trailer. We"'ll have heat and power from the genny and sled all week. We ended up camping in our house lol. When we sold and moved to the country the 1st thing we did was put in a 15KW standby

• Like 1

Just now, BEANPOLE DAVE said:

So not always then. :lol:

Well since I was about 23 and started doing construction on my own....and I hauled my last generator to deer camp and left it there. It was still running up until maybe 2 years ago