Check your account email address ×

Why Opioids are such an american problem.

5 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Fining the companies are a great place to start. Shocking the bottom line has to be enough to resonate. But along with that there needs to be some practice guidelines for physicians for physicians that prescribe. These guidelines need to be regulated in a uniform manor as to take some of the decision making away from physicians. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

Fining the companies are a great place to start. Shocking the bottom line has to be enough to resonate. But along with that there needs to be some practice guidelines for physicians for physicians that prescribe. These guidelines need to be regulated in a uniform manor as to take some of the decision making away from physicians. 

For the most part I agree but the reality is if the dr's don't prescribe them we don't have this issue.   Sadly too many doctors choose medications often because of the kickback and not what's best for the patient.  I support some guidelines on how much and how long addictive medications can be given.   I don't want to take all decisions away from dr's but there should be some restrictions put in place.  

22 minutes ago, Highmark said:

For the most part I agree but the reality is if the dr's don't prescribe them we don't have this issue.   Sadly too many doctors choose medications often because of the kickback and not what's best for the patient.  I support some guidelines on how much and how long addictive medications can be given.   I don't want to take all decisions away from dr's but there should be some restrictions put in place.  

Doctors have been mislead about the dangers of these drugs by drug companies. In turn this has lead to a mentality within medicine to over prescribe. It’s illegal for doctors to get kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies for prescribing a drug. How doctors can make money is to promote the drug to other healthcare professionals through seminars and drug rep meetings. The affordable care act has the sunshine law. This allows you to find out any kind of monetary relationship that your doctor has with pharmacutical companies. 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe

2 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

WTF...not even watching that fucking garbage. He just made a speech addressing it and has been in office less than a year yet he is mishandling it.

obama does nothing about opiods for 8 years good,  Trump doesn't solve the problem in 8 months but at least acknowledges the issue and is working on it bad.  both sides are so full of shit at this point it is ridiculous

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

obama does nothing about opiods for 8 years good,  Trump doesn't solve the problem in 8 months but at least acknowledges the issue and is working on it bad.  both sides are so full of shit at this point it is ridiculous

That’s simply not true. 

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2016/02/02/president-obama-proposes-11-billion-new-funding-address-prescription

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2016/02/02/president-obama-proposes-11-billion-new-funding-address-prescription

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/03/29/health/obama-war-on-drug-abuse/index.html

15 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Doctors have been mislead about the dangers of these drugs by drug companies. In turn this has lead to a mentality within medicine to over prescribe. It’s illegal for doctors to get kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies for prescribing a drug. How doctors can make money is to promote the drug to other healthcare professionals through seminars and drug rep meetings. The affordable care act has the sunshine law. This allows you to find out any kind of monetary relationship that your doctor has with pharmacutical companies. 

Misleading on opioids?   OK if they were they should have been well aware for years on the issues yet still over-prescribe them left and right.  

29 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Doctors have been misled?  They are doctors ffs, shouldn't they be smart enough not to be misled.

Just do a google search on "doctor in trouble prescription" and you'll find plenty of doctors getting kickbacks.

33 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Fining the companies are a great place to start. Shocking the bottom line has to be enough to resonate. But along with that there needs to be some practice guidelines for physicians for physicians that prescribe. These guidelines need to be regulated in a uniform manor as to take some of the decision making away from physicians

29 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Sounds like a lot of people need to find better physicians.  Fuck, if you can't  trust your Doctor to do what is right for you, find someone else. People will spend all kinds of time researching buying a car or large purchase, but then go to any doctor or surgeon without checking them out.. Like any profession there are good and bad.

Who do you want making your medical decisions?  A large insurance company is already stepping up to say they will deny your doctors script if you are prescribed pain killers. God bless them for  looking out for your best interests!  

2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Doctors have been misled?  They are doctors ffs, shouldn't they be smart enough not to be misled.

Just do a google search on "doctor in trouble prescription" and you'll find plenty of doctors getting kickbacks.

Doctors depend on the drug companies for accurate research on new drugs in the same way a mechanic depends on a car mfg for the proper weight oil to put in a car. Doctors aren’t chemists. 

Its ileagal for doctors to receive kickbacks for prescribing drugs. 

28 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

We did fine before opioids, part of the pussification of America is I have a tiny ache and I must mask it.

Oh really....tell me about your chronic debilitating pain Vince and save the stupid story about your shoulder that you tough iout and are still able to pound diamonds.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Doctors are paid by pharmaceuticals to push their drugs. The pharm reps are usually super model caliber chicks who ultimately end up marrying a doctor. Lets not confuse ourselves about the merits of the pharmaceutical companies. 

9 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Oh really....tell me about your chronic debilitating pain Vince and save the stupid story about your shoulder that you tough iout and are still able to pound diamonds.

Unless we’re talking about cancer or an end of life matter, narcotics make any form of chronic pain worse. They only work for a limited amount of time before drug tolerance and neuronal saturation occurs. That leaves the person with very limited pain resistance. 

30 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Unless we’re talking about cancer or an end of life matter, narcotics make any form of chronic pain worse. They only work for a limited amount of time before drug tolerance and neuronal saturation occurs. That leaves the person with very limited pain resistance. 

i worked with a guy who took enough oxy to kill anyone else,  started off small dose then years later was up over 150mg a day plus vikes and fentanyl. His pill pusher got his license yanked and then got fed charges

http://www.unionleader.com/Former-physician-assistant-arrested-in-health-care-kickback-scheme

33 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Opiods and NSAIDs eventually make the problem worse. I would really like to see more with the medical marijuana. Im hearing good stuff about the CBD. 

A good place to start is the doctors as well.  A couple of years ago I had a fatty cyst removed from my shoulder by my neck.  I got my scripts filled after the surgery and there was a bottle of 70 Norcos for pain.  I didn't take even one of them.  I took a couple of Motrin and called it good.  Between by wife and I, we must have 300 Norcos at home in the meds closet.

4 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

You are such an internet drama bitch Jimmy :lol: 

11 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

You are such an internet drama bitch Jimmy :lol: 

And you're a sawed off blowhard dago knowitall. What's your answer to this problem? 

Edited by Biggie Smails

10 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

And you're a sawed off blowhard dago knowitall. What's your answer to this problem? 

Ban the use of opioids, and since we know big pharma that isn't going to allow that to happen we can just look at it as big pharma and government exercising a form of legalized population control.

• Gold Member
20 hours ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Pharmaceutical companies are corporate drug dealers and pushers and the have the blessing of the US congress. But hey, both parties arent the same... :handjob:

Was reading an article in the local paper yesterday about the "staggering" death toll of 100 deaths per day due to opioids.

I had to stop and think just why that is a "crisis" but the 1300 deaths a day from smoking related causes don't even raise an eyebrow.