Check your account email address ×

401ks

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

with all your bills paid you guys are going to live like 1%ers as far as retirees go.....nice work

Appreciate that Benny.

"Losing $100 a week when I was like 25 and making $600 a week was hard, but I'd do it all over agin.

6 minutes ago, Snake said:

Yeah. The $3,500 is mine, but the old lady gets a military pension and the regular government pension. And her $401k is close to 3x mine....

We are both due at 57. 57 1/2 for her actually.

Really have no idea how much cause the military one is based on like 10,000 different factors, and the IRS one is based on highest 3 years of earnings x some other number that gets worked out later.

My wife's is 2% x years of service x average of best 5 years

Just now, COPO said:

What’s a comfortable amount you guys are going to need? 2 million? 3 million? 

depends on how you want to live and what your expenses are. If you own your home and have no bills you could easily get by on a million or maybe less depending on where you lived.

3 minutes ago, COPO said:

With the pensions, I'm estimating $7,500 a month, not counting military, and basing her pension on a rough estimate.

If I can't make it on $120k a year, I'm foolish. (Guestimating $2,500 from the military.)

The 401k money will just be fodder. So I'm not really thinking on a "$ in the bank" scenario.

Edited by Snake

2 minutes ago, COPO said:

What is your expected return?  At 10% no problem.  At 2% not so sure. Hey you might just live to 90, when most financial plans cease.

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What is your expected return?  At 10% no problem.  At 2% not so sure. Hey you might just live to 90, when most financial plans cease.

At least 2

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Lifetime. :bc:

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

Factor inflation at 2% so you are really just drawing down on it.  How much do you figure you need per month?  Lots of calculators to show you when you run out.

Sorry I meant 2 mil. That’s where we are headed now

11 minutes ago, COPO said:

Comfortable? Christ, I could live like a king on 2-3 mil, I know very few people who are retired with those kind of assets.

4 minutes ago, COPO said:

Sorry I meant 2 mil. That’s where we are headed now

You should be in decent shape with that, but it really depends on how much you need per year.  60K per year, no problem, 120K depends how its invested.  GIC's won't cut it.

16 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I'll be at about 2 million on the current pace.  :bc:

Neal

Every 10 years retired the pensions will total about $1.2m.

$2.4 only takes me to age 77. Sure it will suffice?

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

Every 10 years retired the pensions will total about $1.2m.

$2.4 only takes me to age 77. Sure it will suffice?

With 2 million he could pull 100k per year and only need a 5% return to not draw any principal.....

1 hour ago, Snake said:

It absolutely is. ONLY reason I'm staying for the next 5 years is the $3,500 a month.

With near zero bills, I can live easily on that, regardless the 401k.

Snake when does your wife plan on retiring? I may have asked before is she on the CSRS or FERS retirement program?

17 hours ago, f7ben said:

inflation means very little if you have fixed costs 

Healthcare will never be fixed.  Wished I'd seen this thread earlier, now that I'm a fucking expert on this shit.  Gotta head to a trade show in a bit though, so I can't dazzle you with portfolio analysis :lol:  

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Healthcare will never be fixed.  Wished I'd seen this thread earlier, now that I'm a fucking expert on this shit.  Gotta head to a trade show in a bit though, so I can't dazzle you with portfolio analysis :lol:  

HC will indeed be fixed cost by the time i retire. There is nothing more fixed than UHC