Check your account email address ×

401ks

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

if your not close to retirement it really doesn't matter world was ending in 09 yet now it's up from even the highs before that.  Timing the market highs is more luck than skill as is buying the lows.  by dumb luck i was out of the market late 08 into 09 with my retirement because my company folded and I rolled my k over. 

I was happy with my gains for the year and decided the sidelines looked attractive given the current market conditions. Also the stable value fund I moved everything to has a historical return of 2.7% so its not like the money is earning nothing. I will get back in after the coming correction but overall I agree than trying to time the market is dumb

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I was happy with my gains for the year and decided the sidelines looked attractive given the current market conditions. Also the stable value fund I moved everything to has a historical return of 2.7% so its not like the money is earning nothing. I will get back in after the coming correction but overall I agree than trying to time the market is dumb

When did you do that?

1 minute ago, Snake said:

When did you do that?

I think it was July ....DOW was 21,450 the day I moved everything. I certainly left some meat on the bone but I'm not unhappy I made the move. 

7 minutes ago, f7ben said:

When you factor in inflation, you are not growing anything.

When did you do that?

I believe he started a thread.:lol:

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

when you factor in the coming correction I am gaining shit tons !!!!!11111

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Wanted to compare my gains vs his sidelines.

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

Wanted to compare my gains vs his sidelines.

I am up 1% since I moved everything. I believe I would have been up 5-6% in that time had I left everything as it was 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I am up 1% since I moved everything. I believe I would have been up 5-6% in that time had I left everything as it was 

$25-$30k using your percentages.

Granted, I am older and have been in it for 25 years. But that's the price of caution.

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

$25-$30k using your percentages.

Granted, I am older and have been in it for 25 years. But that's the price of caution.

yes....but lets talk about that if you stay put and we experience the correction that I feel is coming 

38 minutes ago, f7ben said:

yes....but lets talk about that if you stay put and we experience the correction that I feel is coming 

It’s will come back, it always does.

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

when you factor in the coming correction I am gaining shit tons !!!!!11111

They are not expecting a crash, a correction yes not a major one.

Even so timing the markets is pretty much futile and most experts will openly say so.  Looking back at the massive 2009 crash, here is an article from one of my larger positions.

Staying put vs going out of the market and missing some of the best gains.  Of course the Ben factor will change everything.

Chart – Futility of market timing

https://www.edgepointwealth.com/en/Insights/Simply-Put/It-takes-two-to-time-the-market

54 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I have been dealing with correction for 25 years bro, it always happens. Shit, I lose and make a fortune every year it seems... :lol:

15 minutes ago, Edmo said:

It’s will come back, it always does.

yup....but I think this cycle of pump up the bubble and then let it burst is being amplified by the idiotic monetary policy that those who have hijacked out government seem to love.

I dont want to be a part of another 50% crash or even 20%.....the market has had a hell of a run and feels bubbly.....I'll sit it out for a while and get back in at a way better price

I have been dealing with correction for 25 years bro, it always happens. Shit, I lose and make a fortune every year it seems... :lol:

either way....31% for a guy at your stage of the game is a life changer and I hope it works out well for you. 

Just now, f7ben said:

31% in one year could move someones retirement target up 5 years ......are you saying that isnt life changing??????

It absolutely is. ONLY reason I'm staying for the next 5 years is the $3,500 a month.

With near zero bills, I can live easily on that, regardless the 401k.

Just now, f7ben said:

31% in one year could move someones retirement target up 5 years ......are you saying that isnt life changing??????

Yes it can but that's only one year and I'm more concerned with 3 and 5 year.  For that my target is 10% with doubling every 7 years and currently I'm ahead.

Just now, Snake said:

It absolutely is. ONLY reason I'm staying for the next 5 years is the $3,500 a month.

With near zero bills, I can live easily on that, regardless the 401k.

awesome ....I think my old man gets just a little bit more then that from his pension but right around there. He gets to collect his first social security check next month and my mom is retiring this december and collecting SS as well. I think my parents will get about 6500 a month starting in January. That is damn good for what they managed to do. I dont see any way I'll be collecting that total unless I work to 55 or passed that which I absolutely dont want to do. I'd rather live on less and go early 

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Yes it can but that's only one year and I'm more concerned with 3 and 5 year.  For that my target is 10% with doubling every 7 years and currently I'm ahead.

excellent plan.....I hope it works out. 

Just now, f7ben said:

awesome ....I think my old man gets just a little bit more then that from his pension but right around there. He gets to collect his first social security check next month and my mom is retiring this december and collecting SS as well. I think my parents will get about 6500 a month starting in January. That is damn good for what they managed to do. I dont see any way I'll be collecting that total unless I work to 55 or passed that which I absolutely dont want to do. I'd rather live on less and go early 

Yeah. The $3,500 is mine, but the old lady gets a military pension and the regular government pension. And her $401k is close to 3x mine....

We are both due at 57. 57 1/2 for her actually.

Really have no idea how much cause the military one is based on like 10,000 different factors, and the IRS one is based on highest 3 years of earnings x some other number that gets worked out later.

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

Yeah. The $3,500 is mine, but the old lady gets a military pension and the regular government pension. And her $401k is close to 3x mine....

We are both due at 57. 57 1/2 for her actually.

Really have no idea how much cause the military one is based on like 10,000 different factors, and the IRS one is based on highest 3 years of earnings x some other number that gets worked out later.

with all your bills paid you guys are going to live like 1%ers as far as retirees go.....nice work