Check your account email address ×

If you leave your kids alone, it’s not predatory strangers who are a risk

Good post .....Aunika is allowed to explore the limits of what I consider reasonable. We left her home alone the other night for the first time for a few hours. She couldnt figure out how to use the phone we bought her for this very occasion and she went to the neighbors upset :lol: when I was her age we left home in the morning on our bikes and didnt return for hours and nobody thought twice about ti 

Good article.  No surprise.   Parents who feel they should fear everything raise children that feel they should fear everything. And if anyone for one second thinks they are going to get away with teaching their child not to fear or be sad and worried.....well, YOU'LL SEE!!!!

Your first grader will be assigned hours of mandatory counseling at school to see if you are a fit parent or not!!!!!!!!!   

"It takes a village...."

Just now, f7ben said:

Children who have everything done to them while be raised will continue to need everything done for them as adults......we are witnessing the culmination of this as a society 

Yep.  Some of our friends were amazed at how we raised/treated our child.  Most of these "do gooder...my child gets a medal" parent's children are grown now.  Most still live at home either part time "students" or have failed out and are employed randomly.   One died from a drug overdose his Freshman year.  One is in prison for theft to support his drug habit...and probably made somebody a nice wife.  He ripped off his parents! :lmao:

"Students"-living off of mom and dad on their 4th, 5th, or even 6th year of school without a major still.

Every kid I mentioned grew up in a household where they were given it all....and protected fiercely from the "mean" world.

I hope like hell we've raised our child better.  I believe we have.  But, so did they.  But I knew their kids were gonna be worthless...so, I'm banking ours will do well in life.

6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yep.  Some of our friends were amazed at how we raised/treated our child.  Most of these "do gooder...my child gets a medal" parent's children are grown now.  Most still live at home either part time "students" or have failed out and are employed randomly.   One died from a drug overdose his Freshman year.  One is in prison for theft to support his drug habit...and probably made somebody a nice wife.  He ripped off his parents! :lmao:

"Students"-living off of mom and dad on their 4th, 5th, or even 6th year of school without a major still.

Every kid I mentioned grew up in a household where they were given it all....and protected fiercely from the "mean" world.

I hope like hell we've raised our child better.  I believe we have.  But, so did they.  But I knew their kids were gonna be worthless...so, I'm banking ours will do well in life.

Yup .....I think of some of these snowflakes today and I dread whats it going to be like for my daughter to find a winner. She is an absolute monster of a girl .....smart , pretty and gonna be 6' or better. I cant imagine the guys she is gonna chew apart and spit out in a few dates :lol: 

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 minutes ago, jammin said:

Street lights off - out of the house.   Street lights on - in the house.   That said, If ur a bat you go where and whenever you want. 

6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

BINGO!!!!! 

"Be home when the street lights go on."

When I lived in town as a kid this was the rule...when we lived out in the sticks it was basically a free for all. :lol:

• Like 1

I really try not to be one if those parents. We let our kids have a certain amount of freedom to do what they want, as long as we know where they are going and with whom. But their friends parents aren't as passive. When I think about the shit we did as kids compared to what they are doing I really can't be pissed or worried. 

However we have a pretty serious heroin epidemic around here and THAT worries the shit out if me. I don't really think my kids are the type of kids to do that stuff but I am watching that aspect closely. 

• Like 2

Just now, Anler said:

I really try not to be one if those parents. We let our kids have a certain amount of freedom to do what they want, as long as we know where they are going and with whom. But their friends parents aren't as passive. When I think about the shit we did as kids compared to what they are doing I really can't be pissed or worried. 

However we have a pretty serious heroin epidemic around here and THAT worries the shit out if me. I don't really think my kids are the type of kids to do that stuff but I am watching that aspect closely. 

Helicopter parenting will only exacerbate that issue though if your kids rebel......I think its about keepin their time occupied with positive things 

Just now, f7ben said:

Helicopter parenting will only exacerbate that issue though if your kids rebel......I think its about keepin their time occupied with positive things 

Yeah and I have a pretty good relationship with them. They know I get drunk and have seen me in rare form on many occasions. :lol:

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yup .....I think of some of these snowflakes today and I dread whats it going to be like for my daughter to find a winner. She is an absolute monster of a girl .....smart , pretty and gonna be 6' or better. I cant imagine the guys she is gonna chew apart and spit out in a few dates :lol: 

In regards to those aspects, it's a good thing your wifes genetics were superior. :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

My daughter is harsh.  I mean ROUGH on the boys.  She puts up with no shit...or weakness.  Her last boyfriend cried cuz he lost the state hockey championship game and was caught on film.  She dumped him over it. :lol:The one before that couldn't beat her across the sheet...and he played hockey!!!  Gone. :lmao:  The current one couldn't loosen the lug nuts on her car in the HS parking lot when she had a flat.  He's a great puck player....and that's all that is saving him right now. :lol: 

She's mean as shit to them....and I almost wish she wasn't.  Almost.  I actually feel sorry for some of them though. :lmao:

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Same-  Keep in mind i'm 52 so things were very different when I grew up that many years ago-  Example- landline or a neighbor walking over to see if "X" was there :lol:     I didnt carry that rule with my now almost 30 and 25 but sweet jesus, when I was their young age, that was the rule and needed to be followed, right or wrong.    :bc: 

4 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

In regards to those aspects, it's a good thing your wifes genetics were superior. :lol:

Not sure what it is......I'm not particularly good looking and my wife is ok.....we make a good looking kid though. Smarts wise....she is all dad. I was sharp in school at her age.....I willbe shocked if she doesnt follow down the same path I did though

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

My daughter is harsh.  I mean ROUGH on the boys.  She puts up with no shit...or weakness.  Her last boyfriend cried cuz he lost the state hockey championship game and was caught on film.  She dumped him over it. :lol:The one before that couldn't beat her across the sheet...and he played hockey!!!  Gone. :lmao:  The current one couldn't loosen the lug nuts on her car in the HS parking lot when she had a flat.  He's a great puck player....and that's all that is saving him right now. :lol: 

She's mean as shit to them....and I almost wish she wasn't.  Almost.  I actually feel sorry for some of them though. :lmao:

Damn dude.....I would never want my kid dating hockey players.....they are fuckers and get whatever they want. I've seen entire bars of girls flock to them when they walk in 

2 minutes ago, jammin said:

Same-  Keep in mind i'm 52 so things were very different when I grew up that many years ago-  Example- landline or a neighbor walking over to see if "X" was there :lol:     I didnt carry that rule with my now almost 30 and 25 but sweet jesus, when I was their young age, that was the rule and needed to be followed, right or wrong.    :bc: 

I like your kids....they are good people....you did fine. 

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Not sure what it is......I'm not particularly good looking and my wife is ok.....we make a good looking kid though. Smarts wise....she is all dad. I was sharp in school at her age.....I willbe shocked if she doesnt follow down the same path I did though

Damn dude.....I would never want my kid dating hockey players.....they are fuckers and get whatever they want. I've seen entire bars of girls flock to them when they walk in 

There must be something wrong with you tonight, I wasn't expecting such a cordial response.......and bullshit on the bold. :lol:

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Meh...she can do what she wants there.  I stay out of her "love life".  That's her mom's department.  She dated a baseball player for a bit.  He burped in her ear so she punched him in the stomach.  Get this: his parents ran him to the emergency room because it hurt him so bad.  HIS DAD IS A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!  They didn't allow him to see her anymore. :lol:

I asked her if it upset her, she said, "He had to go to the hospital because a girl hit him in the stomach!??!?!?!!!"  We both just laughed.  

Eventually, she'll get her heart broken.  It happens to everyone.  And it will bring her some real perspective.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Meh...she can do what she wants there.  I stay out of her "love life".  That's her mom's department.  She dated a baseball player for a bit.  He burped in her ear so she punched him in the stomach.  Get this: his parents ran him to the emergency room because it hurt him so bad.  HIS DAD IS A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!  They didn't allow him to see her anymore. :lol:

I asked her if it upset her, she said, "He had to go to the hospital because a girl hit him in the stomach!??!?!?!!!"  We both just laughed.  

Eventually, she'll get her heart broken.  It happens to everyone.  And it will bring her some real perspective.  

how old is she???

6 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

There must be something wrong with you tonight, I wasn't expecting such a cordial response.......and bullshit on the bold. :lol:

I'm pulling back from alienating the whole forum and uniting everyone against me :lol: believe it or not I was pretty sharp in school