Check your account email address ×

Bhent Airways , first flight

Well ......done with my first lesson. Was in the air for 8/10ths of an hour. It seemed like 5 minutes. It was kind of exhausting to be honest. You are in full sensory overload the whole time trying to think and watch gauges etc etc. The CFI was awesome....she kept reminding me to just look out the window and enjoy the view and that the plane would damn near fly itself. Wiggle my fingers and not death grip the wheel the whole time :lol: 

I taxi'd and did the takeoff and we did quite a few turns and then I set up the landing etc. I could feel her grab the wheel and make a few corrections as I was landing but I think it wont take long to get the hang of it.

The cessna 172 seems nice to fly and I fit in it just fine.....there isn't a lot of room however and I will buy something bigger for xc flying if I get into it as I plan.

The engine was smooth and quieter than I thought , having the headset on was cool and talking into it and having a conversation while flying was cool.

Overall I am going to enjoy it and I look forward to being an astute student and becoming a safe and proficient pilot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

seriously? is there simulations or classroom stuff first? I realize there's an instructor on board but still...

Sometimes students will take classroom lessons first, but it isn't required.  In many cases people will sign up for an introductory flight like Ben to see if they like it.  The instructor will help you do as much as is safe in regards to flying and controlling the airplane so that you walk away with confidence that flying and achieving a pilot's licence is something you can accomplish.  The instructor always has full control if they choose to.

10 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

cool stuff ben. how many lessons thus far? was the cfi hot?

first lesson , she's in her late 40's or so and your typical older looking lady. 

8 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

I thought you were going LSA?

No , decided pretty early on just to get my PPL. The LSA regs are pretty dumb once you start to really get down to it

6 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

taking off and setting up a landing on your first lesson?

seems normal

3 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

seriously? is there simulations or classroom stuff first? I realize there's an instructor on board but still...

no classroom or anything , we spent a half hour going over preflight and checklists etc. Talked a few minutes about the plane and then we were off and taxiing

2 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

how many hours until ben can fly solo?

She told me I need to get 3rd class medical right away so I would assume not too many hours before solo ....maybe 3-4

Just now, f7ben said:

first lesson , she's in her late 40's or so and your typical older looking lady. 

No , decided pretty early on just to get my PPL. The LSA regs are pretty dumb once you start to really get down to it

seems normal

no classroom or anything , we spent a half hour going over preflight and checklists etc. Talked a few minutes about the plane and then we were off and taxiing

She told me I need to get 3rd class medical right away so I would assume not too many hours before solo ....maybe 3-4

It'll be more like 10 hours typically before you solo.

You need to learn slow flight, stalls, circuit procedures etc first

2 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Sometimes students will take classroom lessons first, but it isn't required.  In many cases people will sign up for an introductory flight like Ben to see if they like it.  The instructor will help you do as much as is safe in regards to flying and controlling the airplane so that you walk away with confidence that flying and achieving a pilot's licence is something you can accomplish.  The instructor always has full control if they choose to.

I was there for about 2 hours .......she said discovery flights are silly and if I want to fly we might as well start at the start and go from there. I agreed. It really is shocking just how easy it is to let your mind get overloaded when you are just starting out. There is so much to consider yet when you think back its all pretty basic.

I'm looking forward to doing it again already .......it took me a solid hour to decompress and start examining the flight in retrospect :lol: 

1 minute ago, ICEMAN! said:

It'll be more like 10 hours typically before you solo.

You need to learn slow flight, stalls, circuit procedures etc first

copy ....I was just going by some of what I've read and seen on the net......I suppose everyone is different etc. Whats going to take me some time is bearings while in the air. Since I am new down here I dont really know where or what shit is yet.

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

wow, it's hard to believe it's that "simple" :news:

The basics are pretty simple I would suppose....proficiency in a variety of aspects and circumstances is probably anything but simple 

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

seems normal

Nice job Ben. You will love flying.

Plan on 6-8 hours of instructed time before you are ready to solo. The average is about 10 of flight time before soloing. The instructor was in full control of the plan it just seemed like you were flying. As mentioned the instructor wants you to feel as comfortable and confident as possible that way you keep coming back for more. Once the instructor realizes you are serious you will be put through much more serious situations to prove you are capable of flying the plane in adverse conditions. 

The first 3-4 hours of flight time are the easiest. The next 3-4 hours are a lot more serious. 

a good friend of mine's son just achieved his dream - flying fighters in the navy. he's only about 23 years old and I remember him flying solo for the first time several years ago. I thought it took a lot more training than that. obviously I'm talking about his first step - small aircraft, not fighters.

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

copy ....I was just going by some of what I've read and seen on the net......I suppose everyone is different etc. Whats going to take me some time is bearings while in the air. Since I am new down here I dont really know where or what shit is yet.

The basics are pretty simple I would suppose....proficiency in a variety of aspects and circumstances is probably anything but simple 

Bearings in the air - pick out landmarks and get to know where they are.  Lakes, rivers, water towers typically have the town's name on them, railroad tracks, major highways, easily identified building and towers etc.

40 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Nice job Ben. You will love flying.

Plan on 6-8 hours of instructed time before you are ready to solo. The average is about 10 of flight time before soloing. The instructor was in full control of the plan it just seemed like you were flying. As mentioned the instructor wants you to feel as comfortable and confident as possible that way you keep coming back for more. Once the instructor realizes you are serious you will be put through much more serious situations to prove you are capable of flying the plane in adverse conditions. 

The first 3-4 hours of flight time are the easiest. The next 3-4 hours are a lot more serious. 

For sure on all of that. I could tell when she was giving me a little bump but for the most part she just let me know what to do. During the landing she let me know that she was going to help with her feet a bit and I could feel it when she made rudder inputs. Then right as she was telling me to flare she reached down and gave another extra tug as I wasnt putting enough input in obviously. I think once I get my mind around some of the things that will become more instinctive I will have a much easier time. 

38 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

a good friend of mine's son just achieved his dream - flying fighters in the navy. he's only about 23 years old and I remember him flying solo for the first time several years ago. I thought it took a lot more training than that. obviously I'm talking about his first step - small aircraft, not fighters.

Its fucking amazing to me that they will send kids up in multi-million dollar planes.....its pretty awesome actually. I talked to an AF recruiter after I had graduated HS and I for a bit thought I wanted to fly jets in the AF. He pretty much told me at my height there was no way I would ever fly a fighter and that I would be more cut out for an engineering position or flying support ships if I was dead set on piloting. That kind of took some of the shine off for me lol

37 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Bearings in the air - pick out landmarks and get to know where they are.  Lakes, rivers, water towers typically have the town's name on them, railroad tracks, major highways, easily identified building and towers etc.

She was pointing out railroads and transmission lines and all sorts of shit. Problem is I dont even really know all the little towns in the radius around that area. I guess I'll learn though. The whole time I was wishing for a moving map gps or something :lol: I would imagine I'll have to learn paper chart navigation but I will certainly be having an Ipad with a good nav app with me when it becomes my choice to do so 

28 minutes ago, f7ben said:

For sure on all of that. I could tell when she was giving me a little bump but for the most part she just let me know what to do. During the landing she let me know that she was going to help with her feet a bit and I could feel it when she made rudder inputs. Then right as she was telling me to flare she reached down and gave another extra tug as I wasnt putting enough input in obviously. I think once I get my mind around some of the things that will become more instinctive I will have a much easier time. 

Its fucking amazing to me that they will send kids up in multi-million dollar planes.....its pretty awesome actually. I talked to an AF recruiter after I had graduated HS and I for a bit thought I wanted to fly jets in the AF. He pretty much told me at my height there was no way I would ever fly a fighter and that I would be more cut out for an engineering position or flying support ships if I was dead set on piloting. That kind of took some of the shine off for me lol

She was pointing out railroads and transmission lines and all sorts of shit. Problem is I dont even really know all the little towns in the radius around that area. I guess I'll learn though. The whole time I was wishing for a moving map gps or something :lol: I would imagine I'll have to learn paper chart navigation but I will certainly be having an Ipad with a good nav app with me when it becomes my choice to do so 

It will get easier as you get familiarized with the instruments, their layout and all of the standard operating procedures that take place every time you fly.  You should be fairly comfortable within a few hours.

An iPad with a bad elf GPS and ForeFlight or ZephyrCharts is an absolutely amazing tool.  You will have to learn paper chart navigation and how to use an E6B Flight Computer, but honestly, once you pass your flight test and the  written test you can pretty much throw that stuff away nowadays.

9 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Fuck, this thread is gonna make it harder not to do this. :lol:

Maybe we need a Freedom Flyer subforum

:lol:

13 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Ben - any interest in your Copter license so you can work for/fly Momo around?

:lmao: 

:lol: I think I'd have to get a high perf and complex endorsement to fly his sikhorskey (sp) :lol: lolzzzzzzzzzzzzz

6 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Very cool Ben....Sounds like you are

going to enjoy the hell out of flying.:thumb:

Just so happens that you are right in my day trip wheelhouse smails ....northern michigan flights for the 100$ hamburger will certainly be part of my hour building schedule.

Also the millright at work that is gay and married to a michigan cop happens to be vacationing in charlevoix this week :lol: I told him i knew a recovering alcoholic paint huffing painter up there