Check your account email address ×

Bhent Airways , first flight

1 minute ago, Biggie Smails said:

Ummmm....sounds like someone....can't quite put my finger on it...hmmmmm...... :lol:

:lol: I was just pointing out that it wasnt an inherent issue with the plane as evidenced by the last several decades of comparable safety record of the Bo vs other hi perf complex planes 

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

:lol: I was just pointing out that it wasnt an inherent issue with the plane as evidenced by the last several decades of comparable safety record of the Bo vs other hi perf complex planes 

:lol: :thumb:

The 177 has slightly bigger doors than a 172 and maybe slightly wider.  The 177 was designed to replace the 172 but that just didn't materialize for Cessna.  The 177 was much more complex and had higher annual costs.  The 177 had a thicker wing and was very under powered with the stock motor.  The 177  didn't really like to fly at higher altitudes.  And the 177 hated hot weather.  When the density altitude climbed the performance of the 177 really suffered.  You would be better off with the 172 XP with the 0-360 motor (195-210HP depending on how it's configured) .  A 182 with the 0-460 would be a great plane too for pavement flying.  If it were me and I was looking for a pavement to pavement plane a 172 Hawk XP.  

A C180 RG would also be a very nice high performance plane but they cost a bit more to operate.  

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

The 177 has slightly bigger doors than a 172 and maybe slightly wider.  The 177 was designed to replace the 172 but that just didn't materialize for Cessna.  The 177 was much more complex and had higher annual costs.  The 177 had a thicker wing and was very under powered with the stock motor.  The 177  didn't really like to fly at higher altitudes.  And the 177 hated hot weather.  When the density altitude climbed the performance of the 177 really suffered.  You would be better off with the 172 XP with the 0-360 motor (195-210HP depending on how it's configured) .  A 182 with the 0-460 would be a great plane too for pavement flying.  If it were me and I was looking for a pavement to pavement plane a 172 Hawk XP.  

A C180 RG would also be a very nice high performance plane but they cost a bit more to operate.  

None of that is true of the 200HP retract 177 ....and it has larger doors and a massive cabin. Its 49" wide ...its has way more room than a 182 or 185 .....its specs say it outperforms a 182 in evyer metric aside from short field work which I dont care about. The 177B fixed all of what you just posted and the retract was even better. The 177RG is an excellent performer hence the massive prices they fetch 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

None of that is true of the 200HP retract 177 ....and it has larger doors and a massive cabin. Its 49" wide ...its has way more room than a 182 or 185 .....its specs say it outperforms a 182 in evyer metric aside from short field work which I dont care about. The 177B fixed all of what you just posted and the retract was even better. The 177RG is an excellent performer hence the massive prices they fetch 

I didn't realize you were talking about the 0-360 177.  How much is one of those worth these days?  Got any links to one for sale?

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

I didn't realize you were talking about the 0-360 177.  How much is one of those worth these days?  Got any links to one for sale?

they are 70-80k for a mid time engine in good shape

a 172 Hawk XP is 100k plus plane for a small cabin and 120kts TAS ......it does literally nothing exceptionally well. It wouldnt make the top 20 planes on my list :lol: 

You can find pretty nice 180's for under $80k.  

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

You can find pretty nice 180's for under $80k.  

but again ....I dont need short field performance so a 180 is a massive compromise compared to most of the planes I am shopping. Plus if I am stepping up to a 6 cylinder its going to be the o-540 ....the conti's love to eat cylinders at half TBO

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

Not bad and especially not bad for a pavement plane.  

My only issue with them is the suspect cessna retract gear...it seems you really need to stay on top of the maintenance or they can be problematic

Just now, f7ben said:

but again ....I dont need short field performance so a 180 is a massive compromise compared to most of the planes I am shopping. Plus if I am stepping up to a 6 cylinder its going to be the o-540 ....the conti's love to eat cylinders at half TBO

I got ya.  

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I got ya.  

Dont get me wrong ....if the right c180/182/185 came by for the right deal it would suit me just fine. Ideally I could find one with factory float attach points and then that would be a big benefit down the line.

I love the 177rg in the looks dept , probably the best looking single cessna ever made

image.jpeg.dd58e7f18e4f8d4f93a4707f7e6fefe2.jpeg

Edited by f7ben

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

This plane checks the boxes but I'd want to update the panel and at 80k that doesnt leave me much room 

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_1287947_Cessna+Cardinal+177rg.html

Thats a good looking plane but what motor is in it and what year is it?  You don't really need to upgrade that panel.  A nice Garmin 696 would be about all you really need as far as upgraded panel.  

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Dont get me wrong ....if the right c180/182/185 came by for the right deal it would suit me just fine. Ideally I could find one with factory float attach points and then that would be a big benefit down the line.

I love the 177rg in the looks dept , probably the best looking single cessna ever made

image.jpeg.dd58e7f18e4f8d4f93a4707f7e6fefe2.jpeg

Yes, a good looking plane for sure.  

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Thats a good looking plane but what motor is in it and what year is it?  You don't really need to upgrade that panel.  A nice Garmin 696 would be about all you really need as far as upgraded panel.  he 

io-360 in the cardinal rg's .....only the first year 177's had the 150hp engine ....all subsequent 177B models had 180hp and every single RG version had the 200HP io-360 angle valve motor

I'll want a minimum of a garmin 430 with WAAS so I can be ADSB compliant and it would be nice to have a good AP coupled to it with Alt hold and heading etc. 

Ideally I'd like to have a nice GPS with WAAS and an updated radio stack with it. I'll be using an ipad with foreflight or xavion as well but it would still be nice to have a modern panel and maybe even some glass like an aspen 1000 evolution or something.

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

io-360 in the cardinal rg's .....only the first year 177's had the 150hp engine ....all subsequent 177B models had 180hp and every single RG version had the 200HP io-360 angle valve motor

I'll want a minimum of a garmin 430 with WAAS so I can be ADSB compliant and it would be nice to have a good AP coupled to it with Alt hold and heading etc. 

Ideally I'd like to have a nice GPS with WAAS and an updated radio stack with it. I'll be using an ipad with foreflight or xavion as well but it would still be nice to have a modern panel and maybe even some glass like an aspen 1000 evolution or something.

All that shit is way over rated.  Learn to fly the plane.  File your plight plan. Get in, talk to the tower and fly. Look out the windows and pay attention.  Scan your panel every 30 seconds. Get to your destination, talk to the tower and prepare to land. 

All that other BS is just a distraction in the cockpit and completely unnecessary.  JMO of course.  

20 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

All that shit is way over rated.  Learn to fly the plane.  File your plight plan. Get in, talk to the tower and fly. Look out the windows and pay attention.  Scan your panel every 30 seconds. Get to your destination, talk to the tower and prepare to land. 

All that other BS is just a distraction in the cockpit and completely unnecessary.  JMO of course.  

clearly he is far more versed in the art of flying a plane than you after his 1 hour lesson and reading the intrawebs. :news: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yah ....all that shit is overrated for simple IFR flying....I agree. I'll be flying cross country monthly and am bound to encounter some IFR. All that shit that I just listed will at least make life easier on the pilotand reduce workload and at best maybe save your life. 

also ADSB compliant is not an option ....it is a mandate by the FAA and planes without it will not be airworthy in 2020

Yep.  Flying and owning a 185 just got too expensive for me.  I began regretting all the money I was spending for the little amount of fun I was having.  Add to that all the fun I typically have outside the plane with other toys made the decision pretty easy.  I may get back into a cheap homebuilt or Tcraft or Champ or something after I'm finished seeing the world but for now I'm glad I don't spend over $7000 to fly 50 hrs per year.