Check your account email address ×

Local race tracks

Been around racing since I was born in one way or another but never personally raced.  Where I live within 1-1/2 hrs have 2 asphalt tracks, 6 dirt tracks and Road America as a road course.

When I have time dirt tracks are my preference and still know some guys that race.  Couple of the dirt tracks normally put on some good shows.  One on particular is 141 Speedway in Maribel Wi.  Couple times a year they put some good high paying programs for 8K to 12K to win for more of the local classes Sport Mods, IMCA stock cars, and mods.  Show normally gets pushed through with not much down time.  Last week was their opener they had 177 cars and the show was done in 3-1/2 hrs  

• Like 4

• Platinum Contributing Member

Been to most of the dirt tracks throughout the northeast. Alot are gone now. My favorites are 410 winged sprints and big and small block modifieds. Dirt Late models are cool as well.

• Like 1

Southern NH still has a few along with one up north. When I was a kid pops took me about once a month. 

ALways loved motorsports.

You could strap a gas motor to a turtles ass and I would watch em race.

• Like 2

Lots of great local racing to be had all over.  

Unfortunately, the track closest to use can be a bit unstable in terms of management and being the biggest track in the area, a lot of racers shy away from it.  

• Like 1

It's been years since I followed it closely (had a buddy who raced street stock then super stock), but we spent a fair share of time at Deer Creek (south of Rochester, MN), and also a few seasons in Fountain City, WI.  That was before most of us got married and had kids.  I tried to stay interested, but just kinda lost interest overall ... even with NASCAR (we'd go to a couple races every year).  Still though, I absolutely loved the excitement surrounding it & being at the track with the fellas :bc:

Edited by Bontz

26 minutes ago, hayward said:

At one right now

image.thumb.jpeg.c58ac1b9121221b313196cdde9df5a65.jpeg

17 minutes ago, hayward said:

image.thumb.jpeg.bbff194fd341a9f97fc90e431c3097b6.jpeg

Look like modifieds or sportsman.

Grandview?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bontz said:

It's been years since I followed it closely (had a buddy who raced street stock then super stock), but we spent a fair share of time at Deer Creek (south of Rochester, MN), and also a few seasons in Fountain City, WI.  That was before most of us got married and had kids.  I tried to stay interested, but just kinda lost interest overall ... even with NASCAR (we'd go to a couple races every year).  Still though, I absolutely loved the excitement surrounding it & being at the track with the fellas :bc:

Deer Creek and Mississippi Thunder are the two best run tracks in the midwest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hayward said:

image.thumb.jpeg.bbff194fd341a9f97fc90e431c3097b6.jpeg

Don't have center steer modified around here in Wisconsin which looks like a good class.  Would compare them to a dirt late model here.

Modifieds around here are based off of OEM front suspension but 3 link for sport mod and 4 link for modifeds either are a good competitive class.

@racinfarmeractually runs a modified and can give you some better details of the class

1 hour ago, hayward said:

Winner winner chicken dinner...,

Is it Grandview? Craig Van Doren still running there?

26 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Is it Grandview? Craig Van Doren still running there?

Yep.  A bunch of these top guys are pushing 60 years old now.  My  friend I started helping a bit in the pits is 57, but he's always in last place.  :lol:  I enjoy it.  It's become my new mental cleansing for the week.  Although this coming year, I don't see me making as many races as I was able to the last two.  I'll be gretsy those nights when i'm not there.:lol:

Edit:  that guy leading the heat race there #33 is I believe 71 or 72 years old.

Edited by hayward
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Don't have center steer modified around here in Wisconsin which looks like a good class.  Would compare them to a dirt late model here.

Modifieds around here are based off of OEM front suspension but 3 link for sport mod and 4 link for modifeds either are a good competitive class.

@racinfarmeractually runs a modified and can give you some better details of the class

I've watched a bit of Millenial Farmer in some of his racing videos.  From the outside looks totally different but I never see much detail of behind the sheet metal.

10 minutes ago, hayward said:

Yep.  A bunch of these top guys are pushing 60 years old now.  My  friend I started helping a bit in the pits is 57, but he's always in last place.  :lol:  I enjoy it.  It's become my new mental cleansing for the week.  Although this coming year, I don't see me making as many races as I was able to the last two.  I'll be gretsy those nights when i'm not there.:lol:

Edit:  that guy leading the heat race there #33 is I believe 71 or 72 years old.

Cool. I was a big Kenny Brightbill fan back in the day. He used to run all the PA dirt tracks at one time or another. Ran into him in the pits years ago up in NY state with my son. Started up a convo with him. We were both wearing our fairly worn out KB shirts. He says hang on a second , I'll be right back. He comes back with 2 new shirts. Wouldn't accept my money to pay for them. Just a hell of a classy guy. He won that night too. My son still brings it up occasionally. He was 7 at the time. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Cool. I was a big Kenny Brightbill fan back in the day. He used to run all the PA dirt tracks at one time or another. Ran into him in the pits years ago up in NY state with my son. Started up a convo with him. We were both wearing our fairly worn out KB shirts. He says hang on a second , I'll be right back. He comes back with 2 new shirts. Wouldn't accept my money to pay for them. Just a hell of a classy guy. He won that night too. My son still brings it up occasionally. He was 7 at the time. 

I could be wrong, but I thought he drove at Grandview at least a couple of times 2 years ago when I first started going  and sitting in the stands?  I had never been to a dirt race before and after going one night, I was hooked.  I'd like to someday get up to New York state and see as many tracks as I can.  Made it to Middletown last fall which was a good thing, heard it might been closed down now for good.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, hayward said:

I could be wrong, but I thought he drove at Grandview at least a couple of times 2 years ago when I first started going  and sitting in the stands?  I had never been to a dirt race before and after going one night, I was hooked.  I'd like to someday get up to New York state and see as many tracks as I can.  Made it to Middletown last fall which was a good thing, heard it might been closed down now for good.

As far as I know he retired a few years ago with heart problems.  I think hes in his 80s now. 

As for Middletown(OCFS). Says on their FB page they're running 3 special races this year only. I know dust has been a huge problem there for some time. They lost their track surface and could never get it back.

13 hours ago, Bontz said:

When I use to have to go to Dodge Center Mn for work went to a track in Kasson a couple times.  Don't know if that track is still running or not

26 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

As far as I know he retired a few years ago with heart problems.  I think hes in his 80s now. 

As for Middletown(OCFS). Says on their FB page they're running 3 special races this year only. I know dust has been a huge problem there for some time. They lost their track surface and could never get it back.

Well then it must not have been him.  

Fuck was it dusty as all get-out.  Couldn’t see shit when they came down the front stretch all in a huddle.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Southern NH still has a few along with one up north. When I was a kid pops took me about once a month. 

ALways loved motorsports.

You could strap a gas motor to a turtles ass and I would watch em race.

As a kid we used to go to Beach Ridge Speedway in Scarborough, ME for the most part. I went to Lee once or twice and Bryer's Motorsports Track in Loudon several times before it was scrapped for the Magic Mile.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Doug said:

When I use to have to go to Dodge Center Mn for work went to a track in Kasson a couple times.  Don't know if that track is still running or not

They only race one or twice a year.  During the fair for sure.

With all the other racing to be had within an hour or two of that track, there just aren't enough cars around.

Being how developed it has become too, I don't see that track reopening full time.

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Where is the next closest pavement track?  The Dells?  La Crosse?  Elko?

They'd have to rip up the pavement if they have a chance and making it work.

43 minutes ago, hayward said:

Well then it must not have been him.  

Fuck was it dusty as all get-out.  Couldn’t see shit when they came down the front stretch all in a huddle.

If you want to see a great 410 wing sprint car race, go to Williams Grove(Mechanicsburg) for the Fall Nationals. Its usually a 2 day event. FRI-SAT. In Oct.

:bc: