Check your account email address ×

Trump says abortion laws should be decided by US states

Trump says abortion laws should be decided by US states

Reuters
DOINA CHIACU AND NATHAN LAYNE
April 8, 2024 at 8:46 AM

3f58cd936d16497217deab8435f30ae4

By Doina Chiacu and Nathan Layne

(Reuters) -Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump said on Monday that abortion laws should be determined by U.S. states, stopping short of proposing a national ban that could have imperiled his chances in the November election.

In a video posted on his social media platform, the former president said he supported exceptions for rape, incest and to protect the life of the mother. He also reiterated that he supports the availability of in-vitro fertilization.

He did not back a national ban to prohibit abortions beyond a number of weeks into a pregnancy, disappointing some religious and conservative backers who had hoped he would pursue national limits should he return to the White House.

Trump previously signaled support for a ban beyond 15 weeks of pregnancy but said political considerations were paramount in the first presidential election since a Supreme Court ruling in 2022 ending a nearly 50-year federal right to the procedure.

"Always go by your heart. But we must win. We have to win," Trump said in the video.

A call for a national ban could have hurt Trump's chances in the six or seven U.S. states likely to determine the outcome in November. Overall, 57% of Americans think abortion should be legal in most or all cases, a March Reuters/Ipsos poll found.

While his statement aimed to carve out a political middle ground, it drew criticism from Democrats on the left who favor abortion rights and from anti-abortion groups on the right who want stricter limits, underscoring the divisions over the issue.

Alluding to the three conservative justices he appointed to the Supreme Court, Trump took credit for the high court's overturning of the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, which had protected a right to abortion at up to around 24 to 28 weeks.

The court's decision triggered a voter backlash that was widely credited with curbing Republican gains in the 2022 congressional midterm election and propelling Democrats to victories in some state elections last year.

"This 50-year battle over Roe v. Wade took it out of the federal hands and brought it into the hearts, minds and vote of the people in each state. It was really something. Now it's up to the states to do the right thing," Trump said.

President Joe Biden, a Democrat, has made Trump's opposition to abortion rights a tenet of his re-election campaign.

"Trump is scrambling. He's worried that since he's the one responsible for overturning Roe the voters will hold him accountable in 2024," Biden said in a statement issued by his campaign. "Well, I have news for Donald. They will."

While Americans tend to accept restrictions on abortion after the first trimester, polls also show that a sizable majority prefer to have the decision made by the patient and her doctor, not the government.

Trump has criticized a six-week ban pursued by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, a former rival for the Republican nomination, as overly restrictive and politically toxic. But Trump is aligned with many Republicans in Congress and evangelical Christians urging strict curbs on the procedure.

"With Roe v. Wade overturned, leaving abortion to the states is his way of punting on the issue," Jeanette Hoffman, a Republican political consultant, said of Trump's position. "Now that the primary is over, there’s nothing to be gained from proposing a national abortion ban, as he’ll lose support from voters in many swing states."

The Supreme Court's reversal of Roe v. Wade allowed the matter to be decided state-by-state. In response, Republicans have enacted restrictive abortion laws in nearly two dozen states.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll in March found a sizable majority of Democrats - 83% - think abortion should be legal in most or all cases while most Republican poll respondents - some 57% - think abortion should be outlawed in most or all cases.

Marjorie Dannenfelser, head of anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America, said on Monday she was "deeply disappointed" in Trump's position, arguing it would allow Democratic lawmakers to take steps to expand access to the procedure in some states.

"Unborn children and their mothers deserve national protections and national advocacy from the brutality of the abortion industry," Dannenfelser said in a statement.

(Reporting by Doina Chiacu and Nathan Layne; Editing by Colleen Jenkins and Howard Goller)

10 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

"Unborn children and their mothers deserve national protections and national advocacy from the brutality of the abortion industry," Dannenfelser said in a statement.

Some seriously misguided uneducated garbage right there.

Too bad the GOP was so inept they couldn't drive this message home during the "Red Wave" election.  Instead, they had no response to the Dem narrative claiming abortion was flat out being banned, and that wave turned into a puddle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Too bad the GOP was so inept they couldn't drive this message home during the "Red Wave" election.  Instead, they had no response to the Dem narrative claiming abortion was flat out being banned, and that wave turned into a puddle.

And sadly in some states that is the goal.  I am all for local government, but human rights go beyond local.  Safety and preservation of the mother should be a federal mandate.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

And sadly in some states that is the goal.  I am all for local government, but human rights go beyond local.  Safety and preservation of the mother should be a federal mandate.

100% agree on the last sentence.  I'm neither pro-abortion nor anti-abortion, but I really wish they could come up with some limits in how it's used.  Mother's safety is first and foremost, and viability of the child is a close second.  I don't like late term abortion, especially when it's not a safety issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Bontz said:

100% agree on the last sentence.  I'm neither pro-abortion nor anti-abortion, but I really wish they could come up with some limits in how it's used.  Mother's safety is first and foremost, and viability of the child is a close second.  I don't like late term abortion, especially when it's not a safety issue.

Why should anyone, when it comes right down do it, have control of another persons body? As long as the baby is inside the woman it should be considered a part of her body.

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

Why should anyone, when it comes right down do it, have control of another persons body? As long as the baby is inside the woman it should be considered a part of her body.

That argument fails at 0.000001 seconds before birth.  The question then becomes at what time does that change.

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

Like I said, I'm not pro or anti.  But I think it's complete bullshit if someone aborts a perfectly healthy baby late term. I'm not going to argue about it ... it's my opinion.  If you don't like it, IDGAF.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Like I said, I'm not pro or anti.  But I think it's complete bullshit if someone aborts a perfectly healthy baby late term. I'm not going to argue about it ... it's my opinion.  If you don't like it, IDGAF.

Im all for adoption personally.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Im all for adoption personally.

Love it.  Need to make it make sense and be affordable.  My brother adopted a baby from a mother that is a classic example of someone who shouldn't have kids (and didn't want the baby) yet it cost him $75k to do so.  That is absurd.  Everyone who wants to adopt should be given cheap and easy access.  The grift of it being a money maker is disgusting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Love it.  Need to make it make sense and be affordable.  My brother adopted a baby from a mother that is a classic example of someone who shouldn't have kids (and didn't want the baby) yet it cost him $75k to do so.  That is absurd.  Everyone who wants to adopt should be given cheap and easy access.  The grift of it being a money maker is disgusting.

yep right there is the problem with adoption!!

I know the system real well!!My wife and i adopted two girls that were in foster care at our daughters day care.luckily for us the cost was essentially zero.they were 4 and 5 when we adopted them.What an adventure it has been and they are now in their 20's!!four girls within two years of each other and mom!!Funny i have any hair left!!:D

adoption definitely the better option but unfortunately not always and it should be the choice a female has to make!! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Trump is sinking in the polls. He’s getting a bit antsy. 

Like his stock.

3 hours ago, Bontz said:

The GOP can’t outright say that states should control the right to abortion because that’s not what a solid portion of their voters want. 

1 minute ago, SSFB said:

The GOP can’t outright say that states should control the right to abortion because that’s not what a solid portion of their voters want. 

It's better to say your state makes the decision vs. the federal gov't, and even if your state takes a position to abolish there will be other states you can travel to for help.  It's also better than having the Dems control the narrative, saying the GOP abolished abortion altogether.  They missed the boat entirely in 2022 and failed to even debate it .. the GOP basically rolled over on that topic and got burned, badly.

32 minutes ago, Bontz said:

It's better to say your state makes the decision vs. the federal gov't, and even if your state takes a position to abolish there will be other states you can travel to for help.  It's also better than having the Dems control the narrative, saying the GOP abolished abortion altogether.  They missed the boat entirely in 2022 and failed to even debate it .. the GOP basically rolled over on that topic and got burned, badly.

The problem with that is the majority of women view it as a civil rights type of issue that should be protected by the feds. The GOP is losing women with this ideology. Trump and others had gone as far as saying women who have abortions should be sent to prison. 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe

2 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The problem with that is the majority of women view it as a civil rights type of issue that should be protected by the feds. The GOP is losing women with this ideology. Trump and others had gone as far as saying women who have abortions should be sent to prison. 

I think women only care that they CAN make the choice.  From a federal government perspective, I think most women are pissed because the SCOTUS overruled Roe v. Wade (I know, kind of a "No shit, Sherlock!" comment).  And the GOP was too dumb to explain they're giving the power to states vs. making it a federal ruling and making it an outright ban.  They failed in delivering that message, and it cost them dearly.

48 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I think women only care that they CAN make the choice.  From a federal government perspective, I think most women are pissed because the SCOTUS overruled Roe v. Wade (I know, kind of a "No shit, Sherlock!" comment).  And the GOP was too dumb to explain they're giving the power to states vs. making it a federal ruling and making it an outright ban.  They failed in delivering that message, and it cost them dearly.

This is trump’s Pontus Pilate moment.