Check your account email address ×

Speeding Ticket maybe?

Miami Herald

20-year-old clocked at 199 mph in dad’s Camaro with camera in window, Florida cops say

Mark Price
Tue, January 23, 2024 at 2:08 PM CST·2 min read

A 20-year-old driver clocked at 199 mph in a 70-mph zone was in his dad’s red Camaro at the time, and he had a camera set up in back to record Instagram videos, according to Florida investigators.

The driver and a passenger were arrested when deputies observed the Camaro participating in an illegal street race on the Florida Turnpike near Orlando, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office reported.

A 16-year-old boy also was in the car and was turned over to his mother, an affidavit reports.

Details of what became of the other driver in the race have not been released as of Tuesday, Jan. 23.

The illegal street race was discovered just outside Orlando when 911 callers reported a large number of cars converged at 1 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 21, near the intersection of Lake Mary Jane and Moss Park roads, officials said.

The illegal street race was discovered just outside Orlando when 911 callers reported a large number of cars converged at 1 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 21, near the intersection of Lake Mary Jane and Moss Park roads, officials said.

The street takeover was discovered when 911 callers reported a large number of cars converging around 1 a.m. on Sunday, Jan. 21, near an intersection on the Florida Turnpike, officials said.

A deputy watching from a distance eventually saw the 2016 Camaro and another car start racing, officials said.

“When the light turned green the first two cars ... began drag racing by accelerating speeds from a point side by side in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other,” the affidavit reports.

Additional deputies swarmed the site and the Camaro was stopped, officials said.

The driver, who lives in nearby St. Cloud, and his 19-year-old passenger were arrested and charged with racing on a highway, officials said.

“The vehicle was registered to the driver’s father and was released to the registered owner at the scene,” the sheriff’s office said.

Investigators did not say if the son had permission to use the Camaro.

“A search of the vehicle was conducted ... and a black Insta 360 X3 Camera with a mounting stick was located inside the vehicle. Based on the mounted bracket on the back window, I believe that the camera was mounted on the rear window to captured videos for (the driver’s) Instagram,” the affidavit s

• Platinum Contributing Member

Kids will be kids:lmao:..... I'd be doing the same thing, cept I didn't have a car that would do 200 mph at the time.

But got the IROC up to max speed of 140 or so on several occasions.

• Like 2

Not sure how fast I had my old cutlass up to but I sure twisted that needle past 85!!😁

thank god we didn’t have one of these new Tesla’s when we were teenagers!

probably wouldn’t be here to talk about it!!

every car we drove we pushed it to top speed!think I got dads horizon up to 90!!😂

• Haha 1

We used to wait for the local cops to post up in this certain bank parking lot after midnight downtown. They’d sit side by each. 2 cruisers facing opposite . We’d blast by them on our bikes at about 90 and accelerating. Then everyone split up and go home. We called it “ buzzing the tower “ 1980 Kawasaki Z1R 1000

Edited by Shifty
  • Haha 1

• Gold Member

Had a LS1 6 speed Camaro in High School. I was no Saint either :lmao:

199 mph tho that is impressive,  must be a ZL1 or a built SS for that number. 

12 hours ago, Shifty said:

We used to wait for the local cops to post up in this certain bank parking lot after midnight downtown. They’d sit side by each. 2 cruisers facing opposite . We’d blast by them on our bikes at about 90 and accelerating. Then everyone split up and go home. We called it “ buzzing the tower “ 1980 Kawasaki Z1R 1000

I had a Z1R, krazy fast Bike, pretty sure mine was a 1982.

• Like 1

finally been taking time to go through all my dads old stuff and i stumbled on a box of old letters he had stashed away.

letters told me alot about my dad!dad and his brother were mopar guys.

this letter is from a good friend of his that moved to chicago.😁

IMG_1291.jpeg

Edited by X2700
  • Like 1

California bill would prevent new cars from driving more than 10 mph above speed limit

Kelli Johnson
1 min read

New bill would require speed limiter technology
Scroll back up to restore default view.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - California lawmakers were considering a new bill that aims to prevent speeding.

The measure would require cars made or sold in California to have speed limiter technology. The technology would prevent people from driving more than 10 mph over the speed limit. However, there would be some exemptions.

"This bill would require certain vehicles, commencing with the 2027 model year, to be equipped with an intelligent speed limiter, as specified, that would limit the speed of the vehicle to 10 miles per hour over the speed limit. The bill would exempt emergency vehicles from this requirement and would authorize the Commissioner of the California Highway Patrol to authorize the disabling of the system on other vehicles based on specified criteria," Senate Bill 961 reads.

The bill was introduced by Senator Scott Wiener, D-San Francisco.

The technical is defined as "an integrated vehicle system that uses, at minimum, the GPS location of the vehicle compared with a database of posted speed limits, to determine the speed limit, and electronically limits the speed of the vehicle to prevent the driver from exceeding the speed limit by more than 10 miles per hour."

Data shows a third of traffic crashes in the Golden

Several new traffic-related bills were signed into law and went into effect on Jan. 1, 2024, including the installation of speed cameras in some California cities.

This story was reported from Los Angeles.

13 hours ago, Shifty said:

I got clocked at 110 in my GTO.  I don't recommend getting caught doing that.  :lol: 

4 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

our generation of maniacs at least could drive. all rear wheel drive shit. powerslides? no problem , hold my beer

Doesn't take two hands to do that, can hold my own beer.

57 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

California bill would prevent new cars from driving more than 10 mph above speed limit

Kelli Johnson
1 min read

New bill would require speed limiter technology
Scroll back up to restore default view.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - California lawmakers were considering a new bill that aims to prevent speeding.

The measure would require cars made or sold in California to have speed limiter technology. The technology would prevent people from driving more than 10 mph over the speed limit. However, there would be some exemptions.

"This bill would require certain vehicles, commencing with the 2027 model year, to be equipped with an intelligent speed limiter, as specified, that would limit the speed of the vehicle to 10 miles per hour over the speed limit. The bill would exempt emergency vehicles from this requirement and would authorize the Commissioner of the California Highway Patrol to authorize the disabling of the system on other vehicles based on specified criteria," Senate Bill 961 reads.

The bill was introduced by Senator Scott Wiener, D-San Francisco.

The technical is defined as "an integrated vehicle system that uses, at minimum, the GPS location of the vehicle compared with a database of posted speed limits, to determine the speed limit, and electronically limits the speed of the vehicle to prevent the driver from exceeding the speed limit by more than 10 miles per hour."

Data shows a third of traffic crashes in the Golden

Several new traffic-related bills were signed into law and went into effect on Jan. 1, 2024, including the installation of speed cameras in some California cities.

This story was reported from Los Angeles.

This is coming. 

25 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Reminds me of the partyball days.  Glasses weren't necessary.

they were big back then. here it was a matt's beer ball. then you saw them repurposed as light covers and everything else.