Check your account email address ×

What caused the civil war?

6 hours ago, racer254 said:

Why the fuck is this now being brought up?  What's the angle?

It’s a fairly important piece of American history considering more Americans died in that war than all other American wars combined. So knowledge of its genesis is typically regarded as something important to know. I guess not for all. :lol: 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe

3 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

It’s a fairly important piece of American history considering more Americans died in that war than all other wars American wars combined. So knowledge of its genesis is typically regarded as something important to know. I guess not for all. :lol: 

Great point. And on a related note, why this notion of reparations is so pathetic.

5 hours ago, HSR said:

And every one of them shows similarities to the Trumpers here. True story.

Given the current state of education I could see where a younger person might’ve struggled with that question. But some of those interviewed were 50 or 60 years old. Not to mention that a Republican candidate for president didn’t know the correct answer. Honestly, I have no hope for this country. It’s got another 10-15 years and then it’s just fucking done. 

27 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

It’s a fairly important piece of American history considering more Americans died in that war than all other American wars combined. So knowledge of its genesis is typically regarded as something important to know. I guess not for all. :lol: 

I’m going with slavery, although state power was a portion.  The economic pressure that was being put on the southern states if they were to have agricultural output that balanced the north’s manufacturing required slavery.  The mechanical revolution hadn’t come about yet.  The many hands at low costs was what the south saw as necessary to maintain their economic power with the north.    Poor whites couldn’t cover it so slaves it was.

Neal

2 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I’m going with slavery, although state power was a portion.  The economic pressure that was being put on the southern states if they were to have agricultural output that balanced the north’s manufacturing required slavery.  The mechanical revolution hadn’t come about yet.  The many hands at low costs was what the south saw as necessary to maintain their economic power with the north.    Poor whites couldn’t cover it so slaves it was.

Neal

Now do how tipping was started in the us 

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

Of course it was slavery. All one has to do is read some of the writings from southern state legislatures. It’s all right there. 

3 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

I was told we chased him out of here.  He’s back.  Oops.:lol: 

I’m wintering in Minnesota and Wisconsin until the end of February. Then I’m heading south. Had some pretty nipply nights of the -10F to -15F variety. Burned lots of firewood. 

IMG_0543.jpeg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I’m wintering in Minnesota and Wisconsin until the end of February. Then I’m heading south. Had some pretty nipply nights of the -10F to -15F variety. Burned lots of firewood. 

IMG_0543.jpeg

If you're in MN, you must be somewhere more towards the south, looking at the snow around the fire pit?  Is that the Mississippi in the background?

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

IMG_0543.jpeg

Why? :lol:

When you could be anywhere thats warm. 

Just now, Bontz said:

If you're in MN, you must be somewhere more towards the south, looking at the snow around the fire pit?  Is that the Mississippi in the background?

That photo was taken over the weekend. A small lake in southeastern Wisconsin. It was -8F. Lots of snow. Had to shovel out the campsite. 

Ahhh, okay.  Yeah, you picked a helluva time to be in SE Wisconsin!  We were in Milwaukee when that storm came through a week and a half ago and the cold set in.  At least you've got some warmer temps coming up now for the foreseeable future.  Not great for those of us wanting snow for the sleds, but oh well ... just one of those seasons we run into from time to time.

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

Why? :lol:

When you could be anywhere thats warm. 

Ice fishing. I also thought that the BLM land would be hammered with full time campers in AZ. Come to find out it’s been virtually empty. My daughter and SIL needed some help with stuff this winter too. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

IMG_0543.jpeg

Ahhh the pathetic life of being retired and living in a van:lol: I love it :bc:

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Ice fishing. I also thought that the BLM land would be hammered with full time campers in AZ. Come to find out it’s been virtually empty. My daughter and SIL needed some help with stuff this winter too. 

Oh nice. I've been running around Mexico, AZ and Cali for the last few weeks. We stayed in the trailer at Glamis and at the campground right across the border from Algodones. Down at Peurto Penesco now. Head to Scottsdale tomorrow. Might head to Quartzite on the weekend to catch the end of the RV show.

Just now, Steve753 said:

Oh nice. I've been running around Mexico, AZ and Cali for the last few weeks. We stayed in the trailer at Glamis and at the campground right across the border from Algodones. Down at Peurto Penesco now. Head to Scottsdale tomorrow. Might head to Quartzite on the weekend to catch the end of the RV show.

Should be a good show in Quartzsite. I was there last year. I’m curious to see the kind of deals venders will be offering this year. Prices on a lot of overlanding stuff has been dropping fast. 

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Should be a good show in Quartzsite. I was there last year. I’m curious to see the kind of deals venders will be offering this year. Prices on a lot of overlanding stuff has been dropping fast. 

I haven't been since 2018.

:bc:

43 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

IMG_0543.jpeg

Thats badass.

I loved camping cold and semi-dry a few times we did.

I can run the hot water off inverter and propane though, so that helps!  :lol:

busbh.jpg

Neal

• Like 1