Check your account email address ×

Anybody use 3D modeling software at home.

Doug

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

Pro-E, now there’s one I haven’t heard about in a while. You use that and Catia?

Yes.  The government required some of the old model packages to be in Pro-E.  Before I retired we used primarily Catia including tooling where I was involved.  One of the trucks we made was in native Pro-E so needed to learn Pro-E.  Not a fan of it. 

1 minute ago, Rigid1 said:

3d print files?? A tech at my work is huge into it..has like 6 printers..I'll ask him if that's what you're looking for 

I'm looking at Sketch up and Blender.  Thanks let me know his comments.

3 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I would just model up what you want then export a stereolithography file

Looking to model up a roller for the trails with a 3 point hitch.  A vendor I use to work with would let me come in to design it on their system.  Just want to have the convenience of doing at home.

FB_IMG_1703817276246.jpg

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, Doug said:

Looking to model up a roller for the trails with a 3 point hitch.  A vendor I use to work with would let me come in to design it on their system.  Just want to have the convenience of doing at home.

FB_IMG_1703817276246.jpg

Ah ok I misunderstood I was thinking you wanted to 3D print something. Solidworks is a baby V5 and it’s from Desault also. You might be able to get a copy of that and have sone familiarity to V5 to make it easier.

3 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Ah ok I misunderstood I was thinking you wanted to 3D print something. Solidworks is a baby V5 and it’s from Desault also. You might be able to get a copy of that and have sone familiarity to V5 to make it easier.

Worked a little with Solidworks and their all fairly simular.  Pro-E is key stroke intense like Autocad so don't like them.

Solidworks is a little out of a retired guys budget.

19 minutes ago, Doug said:

Worked a little with Solidworks and their all fairly simular.  Pro-E is key stroke intense like Autocad so don't like them.

Solidworks is a little out of a retired guys budget.

Maybe a way to use a free trial or a student license 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

We have seats for Solidworks, Inventor, Catia, NX, ProE, AutoCAD, and CADKey.

I find Solidworks and Inventor the most intuitive to use.

NX is the work of the Devil.  Holy hell do I hate that software.  So do all our real enginerds.  

I prefer NX over V5. I was on V4 back in the mainframe days. :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I prefer NX over V5. I was on V4 back in the mainframe days. :lol:

Been working on Cad systems since they had light pens.  My choice would be Catia V5 for no better reason than I worked with it the longest and most formilure.  At work it was integrated with Smarteam for data management.

5 minutes ago, Doug said:

Been working on Cad systems since they had light pens.  My choice would be Catia V5 for no better reason than I worked with it the longest and most formilure.  At work it was integrated with Smarteam for data management.

:bc: I came off the board and into a very basic AutoCad when it first came out. Big chunk of the Auto industry uses TeamCenter to manage everything so I have NX and V5 integrated right there 

10 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

:bc: I came off the board and into a very basic AutoCad when it first came out. Big chunk of the Auto industry uses TeamCenter to manage everything so I have NX and V5 integrated right there 

When we converted to V5 from V4 Boeing was referenced a lot.  Still laugh as the instructor said it's developed by Desault a French company so they do so things backwards.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Shouldn’t this be moved to some faggot 3d printer subforum? 

Would you like one started :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I have dabbled in sketch up, but also went to Fusion 360.  

looks like a suitable paddle wheel for the smoker!  :lol: :bc:

Neal

Wheel support for a roller for the trails

139830107_10158141314539895_496164052898810205_n.jpg

Tire Assy.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/29/2023 at 5:59 PM, Skidooski said:

Pro-E, now there’s one I haven’t heard about in a while. You use that and Catia?

Better known as Creo now.   We use it as does our largest 2 customers. 

20 hours ago, Doug said:

Ended up going with Fusion 360

Fusion 360.jpg

Why not just run the shaft all the way thru?

25 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Why not just run the shaft all the way thru?

May do that just want to get it modeled first.  Coping a neighboring clubs roller that they made with no plans.  It was a design as you go.  We are going to mount ours on a 3 point hitch so need to change the mount.

Before I retired we also started using Creo basically upgraded Pro-E but I didn't work with it much.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Doug said:

May do that just want to get it modeled first.  Coping a neighboring clubs roller that they made with no plans.  It was a design as you go.  We are going to mount ours on a 3 point hitch so need to change the mount.

Before I retired we also started using Creo basically upgraded Pro-E but I didn't work with it much.

3 pt hitch with hyd down pressure would be nice.  Might be nice to have a bracket to mount suitcase weights as well. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1