Check your account email address ×

Ford 302 engine - rebuild or junk?

I recently helped an old man out and cleaned out his yard.  I now own 4 old Ford trucks and a Western snow plow. 

Heres what I have:1988 Bronco 302 w/AOD, 1991 F-150 351 w/E4OD, 1989 F-150 302 4 spd, 1989 F-150 5 spd.  All are 4x4.

Only the Bronco ran and moved, this is the engine from it.  It actually ran really quiet and smooth, but found a mess inside.

IMG_3151.JPG

Lot of work yes, money no.  I have 2 more of them that don't run, and a blown up 351.  Full gasket set is only $50. 

I also kept the radiator and starter from the Bronco, then shipped it to the junk yard.  The trans was shot and the body mounts were rotted out.  I sold the tailgate on CL for 50 bucks lol.

You could pull the oil pan off, drag it into the local wash bay and pressure wash the hell out of it and see what you end up with.  I'd also bring a bunch of WD-40 with the spray it down asap if you decide to keep it.  

1 hour ago, Fireball 440 said:

Lot of work yes, money no.  I have 2 more of them that don't run, and a blown up 351.  Full gasket set is only $50. 

I also kept the radiator and starter from the Bronco, then shipped it to the junk yard.  The trans was shot and the body mounts were rotted out.  I sold the tailgate on CL for 50 bucks lol.

I would strip it down and send the heads and block out to get cleaned/boiled. Then look the block over and depending on wear get it bored. 

Not sure what you want out of it?

Performance or stock rebuild, but the heads are junk.  I would invest in performer heads, cam, intake kit.

Bottom ends are bullet proof.  302 are a dime a dozen. Probably pick up a low mile one , ready to go , for next to nothing.

Whoaaaa!!!!  Let's not get carried away with spending money here fellas!  No machine shop shit here this is a budget build!

End Goal is just a reliable truck to plow out my cabin, haul firewood, and drive forest roads in the summer, and maybe a second runner to sell off, and keep one parts truck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

Whoaaaa!!!!  Let's not get carried away with spending money here fellas!  No machine shop shit here this is a budget build!

End Goal is just a reliable truck to plow out my cabin, haul firewood, and drive forest roads in the summer, and maybe a second runner to sell off, and keep one parts truck.

i misread your initial post. i thought it said "my old man". i figured the truck had some sentimental value to you. having clarified that....scrap the pieces of shit. 

I can clean those valves up and put new seals in them for basically free.  The Ford valve spring tool is only $12.

I'll reserve further decision making until after I pop off the main and rod caps, but the bottom end should be fine.

43 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

I understand but sometimes you just make more work for yourself by cutting corners. I think I was paying $50 to get a block cleaned. 

On May 21, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Fireball 440 said:

Go dump it in the lobby of the Canadian border agency :)