Check your account email address ×

5w30 vs transmission fluid in transfer case.

Can't say about shifting.... Have a manual shift GM.... & electric shift.... Can say about ease..

I have Redline Synthetic fluid for tranny, rear differential.....

Know older stuff used gear oil + later went to a 50/50 with ATF fluid.

Costs aren't much as fluid is seldomly changed out.  

Having plenty of Synthetic ATF fluid on the shelf I'd run it...

If buying new fluids..  just a synthetic none detergent fluid qualified for transfer case use 

Wouldn't over think it... Just lubricating a chain that's not moving & roller bearings 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Does anybody change spark plugs anymore?..... Was just thinking I have put about 100,000 miles on my SUV and I never even once thought about changing the spark plugs or air filter for that matter :lmao:Years ago on my older cars I was constantly changing the plugs, wires points etc.....checking the timing:lol:

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
14 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Does anybody change spark plugs anymore?..... Was just thinking I have put about 100,000 miles on my SUV and I never even once thought about changing the spark plugs or air filter for that matter :lmao:Years ago on my older cars I was constantly changing the plugs, wires points etc.....checking the timing:lol:

I changed plugs in my explorer at 85k, if the gap gets too big it can ruin the coils. Not overly difficult to do, plan on doing the wife's vehicle in the spring as it's approaching 80k.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I changed plugs in my explorer at 85k, if the gap gets too big it can ruin the coils. Not overly difficult to do, plan on doing the wife's vehicle in the spring as it's approaching 80k.

Didn't know that about the gap and coils. Will probably change in the spring then too. Just figured If it is running smooth, the plugs are still good.    Trying to tackle the hub bearing today...whining like a mofo and has some play. The axle nut is being real stubborn. Tried a breaker bar with extension. And now just got a pneumatic wrench to give it a go.  If that doesn't work, will just let my local mechanic handle it....good dude that is very fair with me.

I usually throw him a small firework cake once in awhile:lmao:. He is a fellow Pyro and often will do small jobs for free.   Replaced my headlight and charged AC unit for zilch.

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I didn’t do my plugs until 160k 😂 on my daily and only because I got a light on. Shit I didn’t do anything but oil and tires until then. Even now at almost 300k the car uses 2-3quarts of oil between changes I just dump whatever I got around into it 0w-16, auto trans fluid I really don’t care at this point lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• Gold Member
4 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Didn't know that about the gap and coils. Will probably change in the spring then too. Just figured If it is running smooth, the plugs are still good.    Trying to tackle the hub bearing today...whining like a mofo and has some play. The axle nut is being real stubborn. Tried a breaker bar with extension. And now just got a pneumatic wrench to give it a go.  If that doesn't work, will just let my local mechanic handle it....good dude that is very fair with me.

I usually throw him a small firework cake once in awhile:lmao:. He is a fellow Pyro and often will do small jobs for free.   Replaced my headlight and charged AC unit for zilch.

Wheel bearings are fun, especially if they are seized in. After the first one I learned what tools I needed, did the two on the rear of my wife's car in less than 4 hours. Good luck. 

6 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

If you dont chenge em , at least loosen em , then put em back in .

Nothing worse then having to change em and they aint moving.

I do air filter every 2nd or 3rd oil change

1 hour ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Wheel bearings are fun, especially if they are seized in. After the first one I learned what tools I needed, did the two on the rear of my wife's car in less than 4 hours. Good luck. 

My first time using an air gun. Wasn't  expecting much but wow, got that nut off like butter. And only using my Porter Cable 6 Gallon compressor..Came off so easy, thought I must have stripped it.......but all good.   Ran out of daylight so I will finish next weekend.

Yeah, I hear ya about the hub maybe being seized in but this one was changed only a few years ago. I think the axle nut might have been torqued too tight and it wore prematurely. My friend did it and I remember him jumping on a breaker bar like it was a Pogo stick when he tightened it back up. But hopefully I won't have a problem with it being seized in.  I'm just glad I got that axle nut loosened for now and hoping the rest goes smoothly. Will find out next weekend:bc:

46 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

If you dont chenge em , at least loosen em , then put em back in .

Nothing worse then having to change em and they aint moving.

I do air filter every 2nd or 3rd oil change

Not sure how hard they are to access.....but if Im loosening them they will be getting changed.  I've broken enough porcelain on other plugs trying to loosen them...they can be a bitch .:bashhead:

Not even sure how to read this air filter indicator.....supposed to let you know when due for change.:dunno: but at 100k....prolly time:lol:

20231112_174804.jpg

4 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

My first time using an air gun. Wasn't  expecting much but wow, got that nut off like butter. And only using my Porter Cable 6 Gallon compressor..Came off so easy, thought I must have stripped it.......but all good.   Ran out of daylight so I will finish next weekend.

Yeah, I hear ya about the hub maybe being seized in but this one was changed only a few years ago. I think the axle nut might have been torqued too tight and it wore prematurely. My friend did it and I remember him jumping on a breaker bar like it was a Pogo stick when he tightened it back up. But hopefully I won't have a problem with it being seized in.  I'm just glad I got that axle nut loosened for now and hoping the rest goes smoothly. Will find out next weekend:bc:

Not sure how hard they are to access.....but if Im loosening them they will be getting changed.  I've broken enough porcelain on other plugs trying to loosen them...they can be a bitch .:bashhead:

Not even sure how to read this air filter indicator.....supposed to let you know when due for change.:dunno: but at 100k....prolly time:lol:

20231112_174804.jpg

looks like it's borderline time to replace filter according to the indicator. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Gold Member

I run Valvoline synthetic ATF in the transfer cases for my Caddy. The new squeeze bottle makes it stupid easy so started changing the fluid . I think before I went 12 years not touching em once.  :lol:

Im due for Spark plugs actually was just thinking its been a few years. 

Air filter I run a K&N drop in so just clean it and light oil once a year. 

Mobil 1 5w-30 since new, now that I fixed all the oil leaks I can actually see it seems to hardly burn oil during changes even at 210k.

Fucking love that old school 6.0 except for the gas mileage lol. 

• Like 1

I always use the recommended OEM fluid for the transfer case, transmission, and differentials.  It's not that much more to use the factory stuff if bought online from places like Rock Auto.  Differentials you can probably just use a good synthetic of the same weight.  Transmissions especially should be OEM only.

On 11/12/2023 at 3:52 PM, Stephen Hawking said:

Bearings seized in big time.....spent all day beating the hell out of the hub and using a chisel.... it ain't budging.  I'm done, reassembled everything and will bring to mechanic. Don't have the patience for this shit anymore. Thought I was home free once I got that axle nut off.:lmao:but that was just the beginning of problems.... Watched some you tube videos where they cut off and knock out one of the studs and use a half inch bolt 🔩 that acts as a puller.....but Im not gonna bother. Just don't have the time or patience.    :bashhead:

Pretty sure my mechanic will just roll his eyes and use the hub I purchased and not charge me for parts and lecture me about being a failed backyard mechanic :lol: