Check your account email address ×

GM quality

• Gold Member

I am done with GM.  Govt motors.  Trading our two year old buick envision this week for a Rav4 Hybrid.  That little buick never got better than 25 MPG. Used a qt of oil in e3000 miles.  Was leaking coolant somewhere.  Junk.  Had silverados for years.  No more.  Terrible!!

Just now, Skidooski said:

My 5 year old Silverado is barely showing first signs of surface rust on the frame now. 110k miles of Michigan’s roads 

I could not believe how rotten vehicles were in Minneapolis and Wisconsin 

it’s not like that here. Not that vehicles don’t rust here but it’s sure nothing like that 

but apparently they use some kind of salt brine in winter that just destroys vehicles 

Just now, ACE said:

it’s not like that here. Not that vehicles don’t rust here but it’s sure nothing like that 

but apparently they use some kind of salt brine in winter that just destroys vehicles 

SCIENCE!

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, ACE said:

Some parts of the state use more sand but down here it’s tons and tons of rock salt they fling all over the place even if it gets close to freezing on the forecast. Sucks for roads and the vehicles 

Just now, ACE said:

They don’t use that here. They just spread a little potash when they really have to 

Off topic, but that reminded me they used to use the ashes from concentration camp victims to make roads....

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

Some parts of the state use more sand but down here it’s tons and tons of rock salt they fling all over the place even if it gets close to freezing on the forecast. Sucks for roads and the vehicles 

It must be bad because the vehicles there are significantly more rusty than here 

3 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Same here, I go to the car was twice a week during the winter months to keep the salt off the under side of my truck. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

It must be bad because the vehicles there are significantly more rusty than here 

It’s horrible IMO. Driving behind salt trucks here and you get windshields chipped and cracked from that shit bouncing all over as they just dump it on the roads. Some spots in the northern lower used to plow but not scrap all the way down. You’d have snow covered roads but it was super packed and grippy with sand grit on top. Not anymore 

2 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Same here, I go to the car was twice a week during the winter months to keep the salt off the under side of my truck. 

Yep and get the under carriage wash but it’s still everywhere 😞

Just now, Skidooski said:

Yep and get the under carriage wash but it’s still everywhere 😞

Yep, I get the under carriage wash, it helps, but my 14 GMC with a 148k on the ticker has some frame rust, the body has none and truck still looks good..

Just now, Rigid1 said:

Yep, I get the under carriage wash, it helps, but my 14 GMC with a 148k on the ticker has some frame rust, the body has none and truck still looks good..

Same here pretty much. To the point I need to address it if I want this truck to last. Just not sure what route I’m gonna go. I’ve had buddies that did their own underbody coating but they have lifts or access to them. Looking at maybe trying something from Eastwood on my trailer axles

• Like 1

Had a 93 Toyota pickup and 2000 Nissan Xterra that succumbed to the NYS Thruway salt.....both suffered severe frame damage. .... And was always patching up brake lines. The A-frame completely rotted out and broke on the Toyota while I was pulling out of work parking lot  but still got $2k for the truck to be sent overseas.    Was still able to put on almost 200,000 mi on each but It is definitely not limited to a GM issue.  My Escalades have actually fared a bit better in that respect but my 08 is getting some decent amount of rust underneath now. 

40 minutes ago, ACE said:

Prolly the pre treatment.  That is brine

26 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Same here pretty much. To the point I need to address it if I want this truck to last. Just not sure what route I’m gonna go. I’ve had buddies that did their own underbody coating but they have lifts or access to them. Looking at maybe trying something from Eastwood on my trailer axles

Oil undercoating 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Here the counties use salt/sand mix but MNDOT uses strictly salt and either salt brine or beet juice for pre treat.