Check your account email address ×

Friend of mine had to pay for 3 kids till age 18 after he killed their dad with his snowmobile..many years ago in Rhinelander, Wi.

XCR1250

Texas drunk drivers will now have to pay child support if they kill a parent, guardian

CNN
MICHELLE WATSON, CNN
September 2, 2023 at 7:48 AM

0ac2e0e6d505cffb5778c35c82492a74

Brandon Bell/Getty Images

A new law in Texas requires convicted drunk drivers to pay child support if they kill a child’s parent or guardian, according to House Bill 393.

The law, which went into effect Friday, says those convicted of intoxication manslaughter must pay restitution. The offender will be expected to make those payments until the child is 18 or until the child graduates from high school, “whichever is later,” the legislation says.

Intoxication manslaughter is defined by state law as a person operating “a motor vehicle in a public place, operates an aircraft, a watercraft, or an amusement ride, or assembles a mobile amusement ride; and is intoxicated and by reason of that intoxication causes the death of another by accident or mistake.”

If someone is unable to pay the restitution because they’re incarcerated, they’re expected to make payments no “later than the first anniversary of the date,” of their release, the law says.

Republican Gov. Greg Abbott signed the bill in June, according to Texas’ bill tracking website.

In July, Abbott said he was proud to back the legislation.

“I was proud to sign HB 393 into law this year to require offenders to pay child support for the children of their victims.”

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member

I'm okay with this as long as it's the drunk drivers actual fault and they're over the limit.

I don't even think about hopping behind the wheel after a couple beers or bringing a couple with me for the ride.   But I don't think it would be fair if I was charged for someone running a stop sign or a red light and t-boning me and killing themselves..... And I would get to blame simply because I have some alcohol my breath?  And not breaking the laws of the road?    That's not right

• Like 1

@ViperGTS/Z1, You do make a good point.  That used to be the general method of determining liability.

There are plenty of statistics to show that bad driving is what causes accidents. 

The courts have changed over time.  Now, the driver with alcohol is automatically liable whether or not the driving was the cause.  The courts vary by state, but it is the general practice to place the liability on the drunk driver.

One other area where the courts are changing is related to using a device I.E. cell phone.  Some of those distracted driver liability rulings are similar to drunk driving.  I would not be surprised if Texas tries to tie in distracted driving in the near future.

The true reality is that we need to get rid of bad driving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Uber.

Taxi.

Friends.

Walk.

Feel free to put a gun to your head, not to mine.

Do you get such enjoyment out of 1 or 2 beers that it is worth the possible consequences?

Absolutely.....ain't stopping after doing it 44 plus years...love roadie's....I know the risk and I'm a gambler I guess. Never gotten a DUI . And have passed every sobriety test ever given. Cept the time I was mixing Quaaludes with alcohol and I stepped on the cops foot.....was 100 yards away from home, knew the cop and let me continue to drive home...Different world back then. The old saying of people on ludes should not drive is absolutely correct.(Fast times Ridgemont).  Never stopped at the end of my driveway and ended up in backyard. My Mom said I crawled upstairs to bed....remember none of that.:lmao:

It would be some goon blowing a stop 🛑  sign or driving  like an idiot to take me out with him these days....It won't be my fault And I am rarely if ever over the limit anymore.

Don't tell me your one of those ex drinkers who has a problem with everyone else....:lol:

1 hour ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Absolutely.....ain't stopping after doing it 44 plus years...love roadie's....I know the risk and I'm a gambler I guess. Never gotten a DUI . And have passed every sobriety test ever given. Cept the time I was mixing Quaaludes with alcohol and I stepped on the cops foot.....was 100 yards away from home, knew the cop and let me continue to drive home...Different world back then. The old saying of people on ludes should not drive is absolutely correct.(Fast times Ridgemont).  Never stopped at the end of my driveway and ended up in backyard. My Mom said I crawled upstairs to bed....remember none of that.:lmao:

It would be some goon blowing a stop 🛑  sign or driving  like an idiot to take me out with him these days....It won't be my fault And I am rarely if ever over the limit anymore.

Don't tell me your one of those ex drinkers who has a problem with everyone else....:lol:

I thought I was invincible once too....

8 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

In Wisconsin you can be considered Impaired even if you've only drank 1 or 2 Beers and passed a sobriety test.

8 hours ago, Snake said:

I thought I was invincible once too....

Invincibility has nothing to do with it.... I'd be much more afraid of distracted drivers on phones or the surge of stoners on the road, (driving at work with doors open-can get a nice whiff of potent stuff from other vehicles more often than you may think)....than someone that has 1 beer in the center console driving even more aware than he would if the beer wasn't there.

I'm taking a very small amount of risk myself of being hit by someone else....but certainly not a risk to you or anyone else on the road.....so no gun to your head.    

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

In Wisconsin you can be considered Impaired even if you've only drank 1 or 2 Beers and passed a sobriety test.

Yeah.... I'm not even sure what the limit is around here anymore. But zero tolerance is becoming more of the norm I guess.

Again, just a beer or 2 is about all I drink anymore....nice relaxing buzz.   Yesterday I did have 4 beers from about 5 o'clock to 10 at night. 2 on my ride home from Pa.   Never would have been over the limit during that time frame, so I really don't have a concern on legal limits....but like you said, considered impaired leaves the door wide open for authority discretion.

2 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Yeah.... I'm not even sure what the limit is around here anymore. But zero tolerance is becoming more of the norm I guess.

Again, just a beer or 2 is about all I drink anymore....nice relaxing buzz.   Yesterday I did have 4 beers from about 5 o'clock to 10 at night. 2 on my ride home from Pa.   Never would have been over the limit during that time frame, so I really don't have a concern on legal limits....but like you said, considered impaired leaves the door wide open for authority discretion.

jersey is .08 as are most states. I beleive with a commercial license it is 1/2 of that.

Edited by steve from amherst
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Invincibility has nothing to do with it.... I'd be much more afraid of distracted drivers on phones or the surge of stoners on the road, (driving at work with doors open-can get a nice whiff of potent stuff from other vehicles more often than you may think)....than someone that has 1 beer in the center console driving even more aware than he would if the beer wasn't there.

I'm taking a very small amount of risk myself of being hit by someone else....but certainly not a risk to you or anyone else on the road.....so no gun to your head.    

By all means. Knock yourself out.

Maybe after you retire, you can find the time to deal with whatever it is that makes you feel you need to have that '2 beer buzz' behind the wheel.....

Edited by Snake

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

By all means. Knock yourself out.

Maybe after you retire, you can find the time to deal with whatever it is that makes you feel you need to have that '2 beer buzz' behind the wheel.....

Dunno.....just have always liked the effects of a small dose of alcohol, cruising and some tunes.....not much to figure out and certainly not a need, just seems to go hand in hand for me. Just some of the small pleasures I enjoy. 

Actually retirement has me wondering if the 2 beer buzz may lead to higher amounts.....kinda like what happened when I was out of work for 6 months last year with the Chyna virus.,... or perhaps will turn me into my buddy who retired a few years ago and gave up drinking altogether because it started getting outta hand.....God I hope not.:bc:

26 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Dunno.....just have always liked the effects of a small dose of alcohol, cruising and some tunes.....not much to figure out and certainly not a need, just seems to go hand in hand for me. Just some of the small pleasures I enjoy. 

Actually retirement has me wondering if the 2 beer buzz may lead to higher amounts.....kinda like what happened when I was out of work for 6 months last year with the Chyna virus.,... or perhaps will turn me into my buddy who retired a few years ago and gave up drinking altogether because it started getting outta hand.....God I hope not.:bc:

If you read that real slow......

Just now, Snake said:

Addiction is a helluva thing.....

Oh, I see, because I enjoy something I'm addicted. Gotcha.  I guess I'm addicted to fireworks too admittedly.   Yup... won't be giving up my pleasures in life anytime soon.:thumbsup:

If it means anything to you, I did give up drinking for over 6 months once.... Just for the hell of it, no real reason.    Was told by many that I would actually feel better,( not that I was feeling bad to begin with)... But that turned out to be a lot of bunk.... Didn't feel any different.. No better no worse.      In reality, I could take or leave drinking.... I choose to take .

Free choice is great 👍