Check your account email address ×

Idiot with a diesel

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, DriftBusta said:

Thats the other thing.  I wouldn't want to risk a modern diesel out of warranty these days, some of the castastrophic failure are stupid expenseive.  Yet that was the reason you bought a diesel originally, durability and longevity.  The several I owned mostly ran all day long 5 days a week, 300k miles.  The chassis usually fell apart before the motors did.

The only problems I've had with my new deisels, were pollution control related. Pick up my new 23 super duty this week.

26 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

I'd like to get a new 7.3 gas because the govt has ruined the reliability of the new diesels. Sure they're fine if you trade up every few years at 50k but no way would I trust 1 to 100k. I just can't make the mpg math work on the gas truck for what I do, plus getting gas with a 40ft gooseneck is a pia most places. Dsl is just more convenient for now

The diesels really don't do much better than the gassers unless you're heavy footing it.  Check out the JB Reviews recent videos where he pits his 6.6L gasser against a 6.6L Duramax.  Both 2024 trucks.  Towing an enclosed car trailer that was around 9 or 10k lbs on the exact same loop on the same day, the diesel only got 0.7 MPG better fuel economy and didn't completely stomp a mud hole in the gasser going 0-60.

I just went from AZ to WI and back towing my 30' TT with my 2024 6.6L gasser and got 8.2 MPG with the cruise between 68 and 72 most of the way for 4600 miles.  Gassing up was a breeze with the Pilot Flying J app east of here, and at Maverik here in AZ.  Both have big wide lanes with both gas and diesel.

Diesel obviously won't rev like my gasser does in the hills, but this is a really really capable truck, and I had absolutely zero issues whatsoever finding convenient gas fuel lanes.

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

The only problems I've had with my new deisels, were pollution control related. Pick up my new 23 super duty this week.

I'm happy for you. You said yourself you wouldn't own a new diesel out of warranty.

9 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I'm happy for you. You said yourself you wouldn't own a new diesel out of warranty.

If they came without all the pollution control on them I would.

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

The diesels really don't do much better than the gassers unless you're heavy footing it.  Check out the JB Reviews recent videos where he pits his 6.6L gasser against a 6.6L Duramax.  Both 2024 trucks.  Towing an enclosed car trailer that was around 9 or 10k lbs on the exact same loop on the same day, the diesel only got 0.7 MPG better fuel economy and didn't completely stomp a mud hole in the gasser going 0-60.

I just went from AZ to WI and back towing my 30' TT with my 2024 6.6L gasser and got 8.2 MPG with the cruise between 68 and 72 most of the way for 4600 miles.  Gassing up was a breeze with the Pilot Flying J app east of here, and at Maverik here in AZ.  Both have big wide lanes with both gas and diesel.

Diesel obviously won't rev like my gasser does in the hills, but this is a really really capable truck, and I had absolutely zero issues whatsoever finding convenient gas fuel lanes.

My 6.7 wouldn't get much better than that pulling a camper. I've been looking at my fuel locations to see what it would be like with a gas rig and some like pfj are easy but alot are going to be a bitch. The other issue is fuel capacity, i have a big aux tank in the back, still researching tanks that are ok to run gas in. I'd like to have a minimum of 1000 miles between fill ups like i do now

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

My gasser friends use to say the same thing. Most have deisels now.

3 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

My 6.7 wouldn't get much better than that pulling a camper. I've been looking at my fuel locations to see what it would be like with a gas rig and some like pfj are easy but alot are going to be a bitch. The other issue is fuel capacity, i have a big aux tank in the back, still researching tanks that are ok to run gas in. I'd like to have a minimum of 1000 miles between fill ups like i do now

That must be a huge aux tank. My 23 comes with 48 gallon stock tank.

22 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Does that make it better that it's pollution control related?  They can take your vehicle out of service just as quick as a hole in the block. 

Just now, Steve753 said:

That's big. 👍 

When i delivered rv's i could fill up just south of the border in nd and deliver to anywhere all the way up to grande prairie ab and back to nd without buying any high priced canuk fuel. It was great lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

When i delivered rv's i could fill up just south of the border in nd and deliver to anywhere all the way up to grande prairie ab and back to nd without buying any high priced canuk fuel. It was great lol

Dang.

6 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Does that make it better that it's pollution control related?  They can take your vehicle out of service just as quick as a hole in the block. 

Cracked DEF tank. . DEF tank sensor. Frozen DEF. Those do nothing but put your truck in limp mode. It's all worthless nonsense. 

Edited by Steve753

25 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Cracked DEF tank. . DEF tank sensor. Frozen DEF. Those do nothing but put your truck in limp mode. It's all worthless nonsense. 

What's your point?

1 hour ago, Steve753 said:

My gasser friends use to say the same thing. Most have deisels now.

I had the option in June when I got my 2024. Too many stories on the RV forums of non deleted diesels leaving folks stranded. 

Power would be great but not worth the cost and hassle for this use case. 

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

Diesels tow mileage has dramatically decreased since the early 2000's.   From the Duramax LB7 which could tow 10K lbs + and get low teens to my current which is lucky get about 10.  My next 3/4 ton will be gas.  

• Like 2

• Gold Member

Still shopping for a 3/4 ton myself. 

The used diesels have come down in price but still would rather have a gasser I think also. Just doesn't make sense anymore IMO. 

Plus its much easier to find gas way up North in VT when sledding. 

13 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Diesels tow mileage has dramatically decreased since the early 2000's.   From the Duramax LB7 which could tow 10K lbs + and get low teens to my current which is lucky get about 10.  My next 3/4 ton will be gas.  

13 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I get 12 to 14 towing and average 23ish on the highway with my 21 powerstroke. The 7.3 gas is lucky to get 8 towing and 16 on the highway and is way down in power climbing hills. Been there done that.

6 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Still shopping for a 3/4 ton myself. 

The used diesels have come down in price but still would rather have a gasser I think also. Just doesn't make sense anymore IMO. 

Plus its much easier to find gas way up North in VT when sledding. 

Deisels aren't for everyone. If you're just towing light occasionally you don't want one.

Edited by Steve753

13 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I get 12 to 14 towing and average 23ish on the highway with my 21 powerstroke. The 7.3 gas is lucky to get 8 towing and 16 on the highway and is way down in power climbing hills. Been there done that.

Deisels aren't for everyone. If you're just towing light occasionally you don't want one.

That's really solid.   Towing a 4/5 place with sleds I'm 10 maybe 11.   Highway if I'm super easy on it I can get 18.   I do have aftermarket tires which cost me 1-2.  21 Duramax.

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

That's really solid.   Towing a 4/5 place with sleds I'm 10 maybe 11.   Highway if I'm super easy on it I can get 18.   I do have aftermarket tires which cost me 1-2.  21 Duramax.

Somethings not right there. You're not towing much weight. How fast are you going? Duramax's always get better mileage out of the 3. What rear end you running?

Edited by Steve753

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

Somethings not right there. You're not towing much weight. How fast are you going? Duramax's always get better mileage out of the 3. What rear end you running?

I get the same as multiple buddies with the same truck.   This is also my 4th since 2005 (year they went to the lower mileage LLY) and all have been about the same.   My brother had  19 Powerstroke and got about the same mileage as me.   I'd say your truck is more the enigma than mine. 

Without question keeping it below 2000 rpm when running is optimal which I usually do.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I get the same as multiple buddies with the same truck.   This is also my 4th since 2005 (year they went to the lower mileage LLY) and all have been about the same.   My brother had  19 Powerstroke and got about the same mileage as me.   I'd say your truck is more the enigma than mine. 

Without question keeping it below 2000 rpm when running is optimal which I usually do.  

Ok. 19 powerstroke is a 6 speed. He likely had 373 gears. 20 and up is a 10. 331 gears in my 21. Different motor in 19 as well.

I'm usually running 1500ish rpm at highway speed.

2 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Ok. 19 powerstroke is a 6 speed. He likely had 373 gears. 20 and up is a 10. 331 gears in my 21. Different motor in 19 as well.

I'm usually running 1500ish rpm at highway speed.

True.   I've been all over the Duramax forums and my mileage is fairly typical.