Check your account email address ×

Is there really advanced life out there?

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I think we don’t really understand what’s possible  as far as manipulating the universe 

Which really doesn't bode well for us.  What has happened here on earth when an advanced civilization comes in contact with a much less advanced civilization?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Which really doesn't bode well for us.  What has happened here on earth when an advanced civilization comes in contact with a much less advanced civilization?

If they're humanlike....think Native Americans. 

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

Or maybe more like lab rats........It is not everyday a scientist cuts open a rat to see what is inside.

They kill just enough of us and humiliate just enough of us where we'll discover nothing more than a hopeless future and no longer pose a meaningful threat. The more likely scenario is they'll use what clandestine organizations arrange. Developing assets using groups of humans that have the power to persuade and control the masses. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

They kill just enough of us and humiliate just enough of us where we'll discover nothing more than a hopeless future and no longer pose a meaningful threat. The more likely scenario is they'll use what clandestine organizations arrange. Developing assets using groups of humans that have the power to persuade and control the masses. 

Or just wait to see how long it takes for us to kill ourselves before they start the next batch.

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

Or just wait to see how long it takes for us to kill ourselves before they start the next batch.

Given the current state of the country, space aliens could land tomorrow and no one would give a shit. Maybe argue a bit over if they're MAGA or an Obamanite. 

INSIDER: I've studied more than 5,000 near death experiences. My research has convinced me without a doubt that there's life after death.

Aug 28, 2023, 8:36 AM CDT

Doctor and nurses in corridor at hospital
Morsa Images/Getty Images

• Jeffrey Long is a radiation oncologist in Kentucky.
  • He's also the founder of the Near-Death Experience Research Foundation.
  • He says studying near-death experiences has made him a better cancer doctor. 

Email addres

This as-told-to essay is based on a conversation with Jeffrey Long. It has been edited for length and clarity.

Thirty-seven years ago I was an oncologist resident, learning about how best to treat cancer using radiation. These were the pre-internet days, so I did my research in the library. One day, I was flipping through a large volume of the Journal of the American Medical Association when I came across an article describing near-death experiences

It stopped me in my tracks. All my medical training told me you were either alive or dead. There was no in-between. But suddenly, I was reading from a cardiologist describing patients who had died and then came back to life, reporting very distinct, almost unbelievable experiences. 

From that moment, I was fascinated with near-death experiences or NDEs. I define a near-death experience as someone who is either comatose or clinically dead, without a heartbeat, having a lucid experience where they see, hear, feel emotions, and interact with other beings. Learning more about these experiences has fundamentally changed my view of the universe.

Near-death experiences have common threads

When I finished my residency, I started the Near-Death Experience Research Foundation. I started collecting stories from people who had NDEs and evaluating them with the mind of a scientist and doctor. I made opinions based on evidence and came into this as a skeptic. But in the face of overwhelming evidence, I've come to believe there's certainly an afterlife. 

No two NDEs are the same. But as I studied thousands of them, I saw a consistent pattern of events emerging in a predictable order. About 45% of people who have an NDE report an out-of-body experience. When this happens, their consciousness separates from their physical body, usually hovering above the body. The person can see and hear what's happening around them, which usually includes frantic attempts to revive them. One woman even reported a doctor throwing a tool on the floor when he picked up the wrong one—something the doctor later confirmed. 

After the out-of-body experience, people say they're transported into another realm. Many pass through a tunnel and experience a bright light. Then, they're greeted by deceased loved ones, including pets, who are in the prime of their lives. Most people report an overwhelming sense of love and peace. They feel like this other realm is their real home. 

I haven't found any scientific explanation for these experiences

These experiences may sound cliché: the bright light, the tunnel, the loved ones. But over twenty-five years of studying NDEs, I've come to believe that these descriptions have become cultural tropes because they're true. I even worked with a group of children under five who had NDEs. They reported the same experiences that adults did—and at that age, you're unlikely to have heard about bright lights or tunnels after you die. 

Other people report seemingly unbelievable events, which we can later confirm. One woman lost consciousness while riding her horse on a trail. Her body stayed on the trail while her consciousness traveled with her horse as he galloped back to the barn. Later, she was able to describe exactly what happened at the barn because she had seen it despite her body not being there. Others who hadn't spoken to her confirmed her account. 

I'm a medical doctor. I've read brain research and considered every possible explanation for NDEs. The bottom line is that none of them hold water. There isn't even a remotely plausible physical explanation for this phenomenon. 

I've also studied fear-death experiences, like near-miss car accidents

I take a particular definition for NDEs. The person must be unconscious. But there's another type of phenomenon that fascinates me too: what I call "fear-death experiences." 

These are situations when you feel your life is in imminent danger. It might be a near-miss car accident or a sudden fall. These people generally don't experience the tunnel and light, but they often report their life "flashing before their eyes."

While some people with NDEs report these life reviews, they're more common with fear-death experiences. People even recall events from toddlerhood that they can't consciously remember but that we can later confirm by talking with family members and others. 

Studying NDEs has made me a better cancer doctor

While I'm passionate about NDEs, my day job still revolves around helping patients fight cancer. I don't tell my patients about my NDE research. And yet, my work with NDEs has made me a more compassionate and loving doctor. 

I'm able to help my patients face life-threatening diseases with increased courage and passion. My goal is to help them have more healthy days here on Earth. But I firmly believe that if and when they pass, they will be at peace.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

Life....sure.    Little green/grey men with human features that have the technology to travel lightyears away only to crash on our little rock.   Nope. 

Amazing thing the universe is....every advanced lifeform always has human features.  :lol:  

What's more plausible with UFO's/UAP's?   Advanced lifeforms or govt covering up our own hologram or vehicle technology.   SR71 was made public in 1964.   Think of what we've done in the past 59 years! 

Edited by Highmark

15 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Well as long as you're sure about it.

You're a Trumper, so you'll believe anything apparently. 

:bc:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Asking someone alive about experiences after death and believing them is beyond moronic.

Tiny chemical surges and imbalances along with a little electrical stimulation can make people see or experience anything. Our brains are a bit more complicated than the average meathead understands so like all through history anything they can’t grasp is immediately assigned as divinity. 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

...anything they can’t grasp is immediately assigned as divinity. 

Don't forget don't want to grasp.  Letting themselves be extorted with the hope it will buy you a better after life.  Terrible way to live.

Just now, Deephaven said:

Don't forget don't want to grasp.  Letting themselves be extorted with the hope it will buy you a better after life.  Terrible way to live.

Certainly living in delusion isn’t wise. I have no problem with someone believing whatever makes them happy. When it spills over into telling others what to believe or how to live then there’s a problem. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

You're a Trumper, so you'll believe anything apparently. 

:bc:

Well you're a typical gas lighted fence rider who doesn't seem to grasp the reality of  the corruption happening in Washington.  So I guess we're even. :bc:  

32 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Well you're a typical gas lighted fence rider who doesn't seem to grasp the reality of  the corruption happening in Washington.  So I guess we're even. :bc:  

Ya and you believe Trump will do things differently this time! That's a real grasp on reality for ya. Holy fuck! 

• Like 1

If God was real ,Woolie with his infinite wisdom ,would have posted his real name by now just to teach him who's really in charge :lol: A three letter screen name isn't acceptable!!!

18 hours ago, spin_dry said:

I listened to Brian Keating on JRE a couple days ago. He makes a compelling argument that there aren’t any. He holds up the odds of another earth existing in the goldielocks zone with several unique qualifiers. The mathematical odds of this occurring is more than there are stars in the universe. Interesting concept. 

Well even if there is, we will probably never know. Once you grasp how big the universe really is and how our civilization is is nothing but a drop in the ocean of time….

even if they do exist, they really could never even get here for us to know about them unless they fully can manipulate space and time. 

so basically they could exist but we will never really know