Check your account email address ×

Lutsen pausing expansion

Mag6240

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/local-news/owners-of-lutsen-ski-resort-pausing-expansion-project/

Sounds like Feds are pushing back with the tribes.  Or maybe that restaurant/ski pass building is going to cost a lot more than anticipated to rebuild.  :dunno:

Either way, I'm fine with this.

Hopefully they can work it out.

Always wanted to ski there, but never have.  The North Shore had so much character before they made the road improvements to Highway 61.  While I'm sure it's much safer and tourism is much better for the local economies, I still miss the character of the tunnels and the highway along the lake.

There are still some tunnels on 61, and some great views from 61, but yeah, they’ve made some nice improvements in a number of sections.  That really doesn’t affect what Lutsen is trying to do.  
As a side note, a buddy of mine makes a point to ride from Finland or Silver Bay with his skis strapped to the sled and hit the slopes for a day, then ride back same day.  My son actually did that from the garage to Welch Village last winter…

6B4139CF-E1E8-4FDB-8C4E-1CAAF0A03A86.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/local-news/owners-of-lutsen-ski-resort-pausing-expansion-project/

Sounds like Feds are pushing back with the tribes.  Or maybe that restaurant/ski pass building is going to cost a lot more than anticipated to rebuild.  :dunno:

Either way, I'm fine with this.

I don't really understand the fine details of this case with what a mou means and whatever.  But for the Indian tribe to use their endless political power to stop a 550 acre expansion onto USA owned land, they can fuck right off.  First of all, 550 acres is not even a drop in a bucket up there, it is essentially nothing, so what is the problem?  The problem is the tribe doesn't want any prosperity if it isn't them having it.

Warning, rant ahead 

Second, it's not their land to have any say in this.  This is USA federal land owned by USA.  Just because it's on treaty land doesn't mean dick.  It's not their property so they have zero rights to it especially since they are considered sovereign and don't pay taxes.  But the government loves to be a bitch to these tribes and will never push back on them even when they need it.  I don't know the history of this particular area with the treaty but that land is now USA land being it's national Forest.  Maybe it was Indian land at one point but if it was, they sold it to the federal government and USA taxpayers now own it and they can fuck off.  It'd be like selling a house and then 10 years later telling someone they can't put a fence up or make some other change because they used to live here.  To that I'd say what I've already said.  Get lost, pound sand, fuck off.  Sorry but I'm tired of hearing about natives always taking issue with shit that's none of their business. Don't really care too much about lutsen specifically one way or the other, but if lutsen and the feds made a deal to do something I think they have every right to do that.  If there is any push back it could be from if the taxpayers weren't happy about selling our land to lutsen, that'd be an acceptable grievance.  But this deal has nothing to do with the tribes but they think they can come in and stop a transaction between two parties.  I have land in this recently expanded treaty as do many many people.  That doesn't mean our land is under indian control.  It means if an Indian lives in this area and chooses to be part of the Indian nation and not part of the USA, they can do that.  It doesn't give them land rights to any land they don't own.  And if they are sovereign to the USA it should give them way less voice for what USA does with our land as they aren't really part of this country.  But our government is so afraid of putting them in their place and ultimately are just afraid of the woke mob coming for them about 550 acres out of 3.9 million that we own and has nothing to do with indians.

14 hours ago, p51mstg said:

Hopefully they can work it out.

Always wanted to ski there, but never have.  The North Shore had so much character before they made the road improvements to Highway 61.  While I'm sure it's much safer and tourism is much better for the local economies, I still miss the character of the tunnels and the highway along the lake.

What road improvements do you mean?  Are you talking the expressway to two harbors?  Because the old 61 is still in place for that section.  And the tunnels that are past two harbors are still there.  Past t.h. there is some road work going on now but I don't see that as significant at all or taking away from anything and the road is still in the same spot.

To me 61 is just a road that gets you up there, the main attractions for me is well off the lake and getting into true wilderness.  The shoreline stuff is just an easy place for the tourists to come up and do their thing.

• Like 1

Hwy 61 used to be kind of treacherous, from Duluth all the way to Grand Marais.  It was always packed on the weekends, but to me there was always something rewarding about surviving the trip.  I used to travel it for work, so I spent a lot of time up there when the tourists were all gone and often had the parks to myself whenever I stopped.  That's probably why my memories are fond, rather than cursing how bad that road used to be at times.

@mnstangNow that you mention the tunnels, I believe I have it mixed up - I think the highway used to go around those hills instead of through them.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mnstang said:

I don't really understand the fine details of this case with what a mou means and whatever.  But for the Indian tribe to use their endless political power to stop a 550 acre expansion onto USA owned land, they can fuck right off.  First of all, 550 acres is not even a drop in a bucket up there, it is essentially nothing, so what is the problem?  The problem is the tribe doesn't want any prosperity if it isn't them having it.

Warning, rant ahead 

Second, it's not their land to have any say in this.  This is USA federal land owned by USA.  Just because it's on treaty land doesn't mean dick.  It's not their property so they have zero rights to it especially since they are considered sovereign and don't pay taxes.  But the government loves to be a bitch to these tribes and will never push back on them even when they need it.  I don't know the history of this particular area with the treaty but that land is now USA land being it's national Forest.  Maybe it was Indian land at one point but if it was, they sold it to the federal government and USA taxpayers now own it and they can fuck off.  It'd be like selling a house and then 10 years later telling someone they can't put a fence up or make some other change because they used to live here.  To that I'd say what I've already said.  Get lost, pound sand, fuck off.  Sorry but I'm tired of hearing about natives always taking issue with shit that's none of their business. Don't really care too much about lutsen specifically one way or the other, but if lutsen and the feds made a deal to do something I think they have every right to do that.  If there is any push back it could be from if the taxpayers weren't happy about selling our land to lutsen, that'd be an acceptable grievance.  But this deal has nothing to do with the tribes but they think they can come in and stop a transaction between two parties.  I have land in this recently expanded treaty as do many many people.  That doesn't mean our land is under indian control.  It means if an Indian lives in this area and chooses to be part of the Indian nation and not part of the USA, they can do that.  It doesn't give them land rights to any land they don't own.  And if they are sovereign to the USA it should give them way less voice for what USA does with our land as they aren't really part of this country.  But our government is so afraid of putting them in their place and ultimately are just afraid of the woke mob coming for them about 550 acres out of 3.9 million that we own and has nothing to do with indians.

What road improvements do you mean?  Are you talking the expressway to two harbors?  Because the old 61 is still in place for that section.  And the tunnels that are past two harbors are still there.  Past t.h. there is some road work going on now but I don't see that as significant at all or taking away from anything and the road is still in the same spot.

To me 61 is just a road that gets you up there, the main attractions for me is well off the lake and getting into true wilderness.  The shoreline stuff is just an easy place for the tourists to come up and do their thing.

There is definitely some unknown in what the result will be in reinstating these reservations. My township is just out of the ceded territory that covers the south side of mille lacs which I'm glad but our county is still in a lengthy/costly court battle with them so my taxes get to help pay for that.

2 hours ago, Sled_Hed said:

There is definitely some unknown in what the result will be in reinstating these reservations. My township is just out of the ceded territory that covers the south side of mille lacs which I'm glad but our county is still in a lengthy/costly court battle with them so my taxes get to help pay for that.

I remember reading an article about a battle your county is having over this, it didn't sound good for the county if I remember right 

4 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Is this the same guy that owns the ski hill in MI that caused a lot of headache to the trail system in the UP last year?

Yes it is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With being shot down on this big plan, and the burning down of Papa Charlies, they are having a tough go of it up there recently.  They also bought out my favorite place to stay on the north shore last spring, and they don't even have winter rates set up yet for it, much less how many rooms if any will be available (Been trying to find out for months and keep getting told they don't know.)

Time to look for a new favorite place...

• Sad 1

On 9/8/2023 at 9:25 AM, Mag6240 said:

With being shot down on this big plan, and the burning down of Papa Charlies, they are having a tough go of it up there recently.  They also bought out my favorite place to stay on the north shore last spring, and they don't even have winter rates set up yet for it, much less how many rooms if any will be available (Been trying to find out for months and keep getting told they don't know.)

Time to look for a new favorite place...

We need to find a big house up there to rent for the winter!!!!

• Like 2

On 9/10/2023 at 7:20 PM, X2700 said:

We need to find a big house up there to rent for the winter!!!!

I think the old West Branch bar a grill in Finland is a rental now. But last I searched for information on that it was difficult to find any.

10 minutes ago, MnDean said:

I think the old West Branch bar a grill in Finland is a rental now. But last I searched for information on that it was difficult to find any.

I heard they were headed that way, just never got any concrete info, like you say.

• 3 weeks later...

Wife and I just spent the weekend at Superior Shores. Drove to Grand Marais and went to Voyageurs Brewing, then worked our way back. We drove up toward Lutsen but 61 and every stop along the way was an absolute zoo. 

Won't be staying at Superior Shores again.

Castle Danger Brewery was cool though.

9 hours ago, soeaster said:

Wife and I just spent the weekend at Superior Shores. Drove to Grand Marais and went to Voyageurs Brewing, then worked our way back. We drove up toward Lutsen but 61 and every stop along the way was an absolute zoo. 

Won't be staying at Superior Shores again.

Castle Danger Brewery was cool though.

This time of year it is a zoo…

• 4 months later...