Check your account email address ×

ouch... good luck future generations of Americans

• Gold Member

About fucking time our fiscal situation is considered a national security threat. I've argued for a while now that our insane spending and enormous debt are the biggest threats to our country by far. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'd wager there's some republican spending tucked in there as well... wouldn't you?

I am sure there is.  There are bad players on both sides.

Edited by racer254

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

neither of them seem interested in paying for it

sarcasm 

Fed, State and Local govts of our country already collect almost $10 trillion/year now.   Over $33,000 PER PERSON.   Govt revenue isn't the problem. 

4 hours ago, Highmark said:

Fed, State and Local govts of our country already collect almost $10 trillion/year now.   Over $33,000 PER PERSON.   Govt revenue isn't the problem. 

it isn't? 

looks like someone hasn't been paying their fair share... right boomers?  ;)

Screenshot_20230731-180755.png

52 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

it isn't? 

looks like someone hasn't been paying their fair share... right boomers?  ;)

Screenshot_20230731-180755.png

Spend less...period.

Do you pay $33k in taxes for each of your family members?   If not stfu moocher.:lmao:

Edited by Highmark

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Spend less...period.

Do you pay $33k in taxes for each of your family members?   If not stfu moocher.:lmao:

so the existing unpaid debt... we should just ignore it, hope it just magically goes away, and expect another tax break?  

that's a good Republican!  :thumbsup:

Fucking brilliant... 

Interest payments on the national debt were $475 billion in fiscal year 2022 — the highest dollar amount ever.

Interest costs grew 35 percent last year and are projected to grow by another 35 percent in 2023.

Relative to the size of the economy, interest costs in 2030 will reach 3.3 percent of gross domestic product (GDP), exceeding the previous post-World War II high of 3.2 percent of GDP, which was recorded in 1991.

Within 10 years, net interest costs will exceed federal spending on crucial programs like Medicaid and defense.

Spending for net interest will become the largest “program” in the federal budget within the next 30 years, outpacing spending on Medicare and Social Security.

https://www.pgpf.org/blog/2023/02/interest-costs-on-the-national-debt-are-on-track-to-reach-a-record-high

5 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'd wager there's some republican spending tucked in there as well... wouldn't you?

These guys still can’t admit that the most reckless spending occurs under GOP presidents. 

10 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

so the existing unpaid debt... we should just ignore it, hope it just magically goes away, and expect another tax break?  

that's a good Republican!  :thumbsup:

Fucking brilliant... 

Interest payments on the national debt were $475 billion in fiscal year 2022 — the highest dollar amount ever.

Interest costs grew 35 percent last year and are projected to grow by another 35 percent in 2023.

Relative to the size of the economy, interest costs in 2030 will reach 3.3 percent of gross domestic product (GDP), exceeding the previous post-World War II high of 3.2 percent of GDP, which was recorded in 1991.

Within 10 years, net interest costs will exceed federal spending on crucial programs like Medicaid and defense.

Spending for net interest will become the largest “program” in the federal budget within the next 30 years, outpacing spending on Medicare and Social Security.

https://www.pgpf.org/blog/2023/02/interest-costs-on-the-national-debt-are-on-track-to-reach-a-record-high

Sure but like I asked are you doing your part contributing at least the average of what we are already collecting or are you just a keyboard whiner who thinks its someone else's responsibility to pick up the tab?  You know who that sounds like don't you?  Remember you can always contribute more than is required.

The idea the debt can be paid down much if any without a common sense balanced budget amendment is insane.  We spend too much....BOTH SIDES however one side isn't requesting literally over $50 trillion in extra spending thru 2050 and that's only on the climate agenda.  I'll chose the other side as a mere way to suspend the inevitable.     

Edited by Highmark

32 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Sure but like I asked are you doing your part contributing at least the average of what we are already collecting or are you just a keyboard whiner who thinks its someone else's responsibility to pick up the tab?  You know who that sounds like don't you?  Remember you can always contribute more than is required.

The idea the debt can be paid down much if any without a common sense balanced budget amendment is insane.  We spend too much....BOTH SIDES however one side isn't requesting literally over $50 trillion in extra spending thru 2050 and that's only on the climate agenda.  I'll chose the other side as a mere way to suspend the inevitable.     

everyone in the village should be concerned... not just you and I and the issue revolves heavily around spending, particularly PAST spending.     

the CBO paints a grim picture for the future but Americans with the attention span of a gnat either don't know, don't care about the snowball rolling down the top of the mountain.

The Budget From 2024 to 2033. In the agency’s updated projections, annual deficits nearly double over the next decade, reaching $2.7 trillion in 2033. (Deficits have been adjusted to exclude the effects of shifts that occur in the timing of certain payments when October 1, the first day of the fiscal year, falls on a weekend.) The projected cumulative deficit over the 2024–2033 period—$20.2 trillion—is about the same as the shortfall CBO projected in February. Measured in relation to the size of the economy, deficits grow from 6.0 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) next year to 6.9 percent in 2033—well above their 50-year average of 3.6 percent of GDP.

As a result of those deficits, debt held by the public also increases in CBO’s projections, from 98 percent of GDP at the end of this year to 119 percent at the end of 2033. At that time, debt measured as a share of GDP would reach the highest level ever recorded in the United States and would be on track to rise even further. 

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/59159

10 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

everyone in the village should be concerned... not just you and I and the issue revolves heavily around spending, particularly PAST spending.     

the CBO paints a grim picture for the future but Americans with the attention span of a gnat either don't know, don't care about the snowball rolling down the top of the mountain.

The Budget From 2024 to 2033. In the agency’s updated projections, annual deficits nearly double over the next decade, reaching $2.7 trillion in 2033. (Deficits have been adjusted to exclude the effects of shifts that occur in the timing of certain payments when October 1, the first day of the fiscal year, falls on a weekend.) The projected cumulative deficit over the 2024–2033 period—$20.2 trillion—is about the same as the shortfall CBO projected in February. Measured in relation to the size of the economy, deficits grow from 6.0 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) next year to 6.9 percent in 2033—well above their 50-year average of 3.6 percent of GDP.

As a result of those deficits, debt held by the public also increases in CBO’s projections, from 98 percent of GDP at the end of this year to 119 percent at the end of 2033. At that time, debt measured as a share of GDP would reach the highest level ever recorded in the United States and would be on track to rise even further. 

Its why we need a candidate in there that has nothing to lose.   Problem with our system now is both sides see spending as a mean to votes.  The absolute worse thing for our deficit has been bipartisanship.  You get this, we get that mentality put us where we are today.  While now the left has gone batshit crazy with what they want to spend and would spend even more for the most bipartisanship is what got us to where we are today.  I say fuck that. 

I'm all for serious change to balance the budget but I'm not willing to do it with increased taxes or tax revenue in any form.  They already collect more than what's needed.   They have proven that they will just take the extra money and still overspend.   Government is like the college loan program.   Once they believe the money supply is increasing or endless they just spend (charge) more.  Money is control and we have to take it away from DC. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Dude, you're going to have a stroke. Worry about things you can control, the debt issue is way above your pay grade.

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Its why we need a candidate in there that has nothing to lose.   Problem with our system now is both sides see spending as a mean to votes.  The absolute worse thing for our deficit has been bipartisanship.  You get this, we get that mentality put us where we are today.  While now the left has gone batshit crazy with what they want to spend and would spend even more for the most bipartisanship is what got us to where we are today.  I say fuck that. 

I'm all for serious change to balance the budget but I'm not willing to do it with increased taxes or tax revenue in any form.   They have proven that they will just take the money and still overspend.   Government is like the college loan program.   Once they believe the money supply is increasing or endless they just spend (charge) more.  Money is control and we have to take it away from DC. 

We need a problem solver?  Neither of leading major candidates fit the bill, nor do those beneath them.  Solving our financial problems is going to take serious leadership from the top.  Sadly, I see no such person out there.   This is a problem... as has been outlined and should be a major talking point moving into 2024

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

We need a problem solver?  Neither of leading major candidates fit the bill, nor do those beneath them.  Solving our financial problems is going to take serious leadership from the top.  Sadly, I see no such person out there.   This is a problem... as has been outlined and should be a major talking point moving into 2024

An outsider vs a 50 year tit sucker.  Its not hard really.  You just need to open your eyes.:lol:

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

The problem will never be solved without term limits because the only ones with any interest at all would be those with the luxery of not needing to get reelected.

49 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

We need an outsider.   Nobody from deep inside either party can get anything done.   Unless another Ross Perot comes along with GOP acceptance Trump is our best bet.   Far far from perfect but still the best bet.  I really like Vivek but he can't win the general.   Trump might be the only one who can beat Biden and right now that is the most important thing with how far left he's went.   Look who is waiting in the wings for the dems....Harris....Newsome.   Worse and more radically left than Biden.   This election isn't just about beating Biden its about holding one of them off as well. 

EVERYTHING in this election is about defeating Biden.   Nothing else like personal animosity towards Trump matters.  The radicalization of the dems must be kept in check.    

Edited by Highmark