Check your account email address ×

Social Security Benefits Targeted for Cuts by House Republicans

Social Security Benefits Targeted for Cuts by House Republicans

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-06-14/social-security-benefits-targeted-for-cuts-by-house-conservatives 

No paywall 
https://archive.is/uDJi4 

House conservatives on Wednesday proposed raising the US retirement age to collect Social Security, handing Democrats damaging political ammunition ahead of the 2024 election.  

The proposal by the 176-member House Republican Study Committee would gradually increase the retirement age, ultimately hitting 69 years old for those turning 62 in 2033. The current retirement age for full benefits is 66 and rising gradually to 67. 

Democrats successfully used similar proposals from fiscal conservatives to their advantage in the 2022 midterm election. Their message that the GOP was targeting old-age benefits resonated with voters and was credited with limiting Democrats’ losses in the House. 

Under the plan, which is unlikely to become law, benefits for current retirees wouldn’t be cut. But for those expecting an earlier retirement benefit, lifetime payouts would be lower. 

that's one way to slow the demise of the fund and continue to allow the boomers who underfunded it in the first place to bleed it dry before it's insolvent... keep raising the retirement age and make people work until they are dead.  

Great fucking logic there, instead of doing nothing... they did something... Something completely fucking stupid. 

At least the French have the courage to make a stink...

62 to 64, and we're looking at 70?  

Drain the swamp 

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

This should get the Dems a few more votes.

votes?  if they pass it with no other plans to properly fund or replace social security I will hold my nose and vote straight Democratic ballot in 2024 and the rest of my life. 

maybe we should in turn say these fucks in the house and senate can't get their lifetime pension payments until they're 69 as well, and as long as we're at it... they can have their health insurance and care needs at the VA 

I'm just livid... these cowardly fucks do absolutely nothing for DECADES and take the easy way out as to not upset the sensitive fucking BABY boomers who've gotten a roughly 15% COLA in the past two years at the same time everyone who has more than twelve brain cells knows the money is running out.  

Dirty cocksuckers... Kill them all

Ok, I feel better now.  :)

• Gold Member
20 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

votes?  if they pass it with no other plans to properly fund or replace social security I will hold my nose and vote straight Democratic ballot in 2024 and the rest of my life. 

maybe we should in turn say these fucks in the house and senate can't get their lifetime pension payments until they're 69 as well, and as long as we're at it... they can have their health insurance and care needs at the VA 

I'm just livid... these cowardly fucks do absolutely nothing for DECADES and take the easy way out as to not upset the sensitive fucking BABY boomers who've gotten a roughly 15% COLA in the past two years at the same time everyone who has more than twelve brain cells knows the money is running out.  

Dirty cocksuckers... Kill them all

Ok, I feel better now.  :)

What makes you think you wouldn’t be able to collect SS earlier then 69?

26 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

What makes you think you wouldn’t be able to collect SS earlier then 69?

false alarm... I was born in 1970

https://archive.is/2023.06.14-212516/https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-06-14/social-security-benefits-targeted-for-cuts-by-house-conservatives 

Fuck the younger than me people... :lol:

I'm planning to be retired long before 60 as most people in my family don't live to a ripe old age and I've cheated the grim reaper twice already.  

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

false alarm... I was born in 1970

https://archive.is/2023.06.14-212516/https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-06-14/social-security-benefits-targeted-for-cuts-by-house-conservatives 

Fuck the younger than me people... :lol:

I'm planning to be retired long before 60 as most people in my family don't live to a ripe old age and I've cheated the grim reaper twice already.  

Your full retirement age is 67….  You can start collecting SS at 62 at a reduced/early retirement.  So if you are retire before your 62 your SS doesn’t matter much until you reach 62.  Each year you delay you get more up to you full retirement age.  

if they raise the full retirement age to 69 it’s not that much of a big deal TBH cause it is only going up 2 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Your full retirement age is 67….  You can start collecting SS at 62 at a reduced/early retirement.  So if you are retire before your 62 your SS doesn’t matter much until you reach 62.  Each year you delay you get more up to you full retirement age.  

if they raise the full retirement age to 69 it’s not that much of a big deal TBH cause it is only going up 2 years.

FYI your body starts to crap out at 65.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
40 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The American work ethic is to work your dick into the dirt and smile while it’s happening. Compared to other western nations America is pathetic. 

It’s been pretty good to you.

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Underfunded by boomers. What a fucking lie. :lol2:

Why is the anticipated date for reduced benefits 2035 and now down to 2034?  It's because boomers are living longer and the elected officials from both parties were too chicken shit to make them pay more into the system two decades ago.  We tried taking y'all out with COVID but Trump cock blocked the mass extermination of boomers with lock downs, masks and his vaccines.  Die you greedy fucks... DIE!!!   

Thanks a lot Trump... :sarcasm1:

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

It’s been pretty good to you.

I subscribed to that bullshit up until my mid twenties. I looked around and saw guys in their 50’s with broken bodies. Fucked up shoulders, spinal injuries, and rubbered up knees. 50, 60 and 70 hour work weeks. Fuck all that. 

Edited by spin_dry

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Why is the anticipated date for reduced benefits 2035 and now down to 2034?  It's because boomers are living longer and the elected officials from both parties were too chicken shit to make them pay more into the system two decades ago.  We tried taking y'all out with COVID but Trump cock blocked the mass extermination of boomers with lock downs, masks and his vaccines.  Die you greedy fucks... DIE!!!   

Thanks a lot Trump... :sarcasm1:

Boomers did something no generation has done since. We had children. The younger generations are too selfish to do the same. That really is gonna suck for your generation. 

Look how much we take in as payroll taxes and how much we spend on Social Security, Medicare, and "Health".  If we fund SS, "Health", and "income security" there isn't even enough left over to fund defense, medicare, education, interest on the debt, veterans benefits, transportation, and $192 billion in other expenses.

The federal government in 2022 took in $1.5 trillion in payroll taxes and spent $1.2 trillion on SS and $0.8 trillion on Medicare.  

image.thumb.png.8c46ac77bebff36491a9956e54c4b04b.png

2022 United States federal budget - Wikipedia

1658432152_Federal-Deficit-by-year_gs_t800.jpg?90232451fbcadccc64a17de7521d859a8f88077d