Check your account email address ×

11 Michigan men charged in major U.S. diesel engine tampering case

1 hour ago, Cat45 said:

You'd be better off with a modern gas rig than a 7.3. I ran well over a million miles on that overhyped gutless pile of crap. Sure some unicorns might hit a million but most were junk at 4 to 500k. The transmission was an absolute pile of junk especially in the mtns. I've had 2 6.7 powerstrokes now. The 11 i sold with 775 on it, Original transmission but 2nd engine. My 15 has about 370k now other than some odd electrical issues it's been great. With the potential costs of repairs I'm thinking my next truck might be a 7.3 gas

Buddy of mine tows his 25 foot Malibu surf tank with Godzilla and freaking loves it. I'm just not interested until I hear they fixed the cam follower issue. 

I use to do a ton of towing. My 2014 Chevy with the 6.0 would get about 9-10 towing around 8,000 pounds. The dmax would get 2 or 3 miles to the gallon better with the same load when I would used that truck. Unless you are towing something over 10,000 pounds all the time or a wind sail of an rv a diesel is not really worth it. 

14 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

I always like the diesel bros that would tow a bigger, much heavier trailer faster then me and get double the mileage out of their tuned brodozers.

Yeah, no.

They also think their one ton pick up is a semi and built like a semi. 

2 hours ago, Steve753 said:

The 7.3 has my interest as well. I'm just afraid I will regret it. I personally dobt know anyone who has one which sucks.

Same here, it's a big gamble for me to try 1. I tow daily upto16k so it's right on the edge of making sense to go either way

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, Cat45 said:

You'd be better off with a modern gas rig than a 7.3. I ran well over a million miles on that overhyped gutless pile of crap. Sure some unicorns might hit a million but most were junk at 4 to 500k. The transmission was an absolute pile of junk especially in the mtns. I've had 2 6.7 powerstrokes now. The 11 i sold with 775 on it, Original transmission but 2nd engine. My 15 has about 370k now other than some odd electrical issues it's been great. With the potential costs of repairs I'm thinking my next truck might be a 7.3 gas

Undersized cooling lines are what killed the trannys in the late 90's 7.3  Mine was no exception 

That motor reminded me of a stock harley. Punch it and it makes more noise but dosnt move any faster.

46 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Undersized cooling lines are what killed the trannys in the late 90's 7.3  Mine was no exception 

That motor reminded me of a stock harley. Punch it and it makes more noise but dosnt move any faster.

That's about right lol. The 4spd sucked bigtime in the hills. Had to ride the brakes pretty hard to keep speed under control. With the 6spd, you click it down to 4th, maybe 3rd and sit back drinking coffee looking at the scenery. 

On 6/7/2023 at 6:54 PM, steve from amherst said:

my 06 f 350 with the 6.0 was the best truck I ever had

I have an 06 king ranch with the 6.0. It’s bone stock hardware wise with a +65 tow tune. It’s retarded how much better it is than the 7.3 

4 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

7.3 is such a turd power wise compared to the 6.0.

6.0 is quiet , smooth , powerful and a pleasure to drive. If and when this one needs money thrown at it I will do it with a smile on my face. It’s the perfect package for towing the 18-20k I ask it to routinely. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 6/9/2023 at 6:31 AM, steve from amherst said:

Biggest problem with the 6.0 was it ran too hot . High capacity water pump and oversize cooling lines made it a good motor. 

That being said , mine was an 06 . The yr they finaly got it right.

My ‘07 6.0 is still running strong. A few injectors and a couple FICM’s. EGR delete many years ago. Had an oil pressure problem a couple years ago that cost me $2500. Cab corners twice but rockers are going now.

just hit 9000 hrs yesterday.

IMG_5920.thumb.jpeg.bebd08334c3dcbc1d2e4349a771eb707.jpeg

This 6.0 has been a much better motor than the 7.3 I had before it. That 7.3 was always leaving me stranded with some small issue. Constantly had fuel or oil leaks. The body rotted off it and it got scrapped. My buddy has the motor in an old ‘79 F350 now.

My ‘04 6.0 was a POS. When the second motor started using coolant, out she went, replaced with a 6.2 gas.

I have 3 6.2 gassers now. Exhaust manifolds crack seems to be the biggest pita. Broke a valve spring on one truck and it cost me $3500.

No idea what I will replace my 07 with but I’m seriously thinking of buying another one, maybe a clean low miler.

I have a deleted ‘08 6.4 for a Sunday driver. Shit motors but I don’t intend to work it. Last owner put a tow tune in it that I need to remove. She’ll pin the boost gauge if you get in to it. Just waiting to get it in the shop for an old Minimax tuner.

• Like 3

I had a 7.3 Quigley van turned up 75 HP. with a 4" exhaust, ran terrific only bad thing was the engine noise.  A horse hauler I know will only use 7.3's he has tried them all and his trucks are on the road 24/7 hauling very expensive horses.