Check your account email address ×

Car burst into flames after owner tried to start it, fire spread to Baton Rouge home

• Gold Member
19 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Arizona Waymo electric car fire burned itself out after a week: Phoenix Fire

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-waymo-electric-car-fire-burned-itself-out-after-a-week-phoenix-fire

Week straight 😂 those burning toxic fumes for a week must be great for the environment.

• Like 1

• Gold Member

First responders were dispatched about 11am, Friday, June 30th, to the area of Peace Portal Drive and 4th Street in Blaine due to reports of a vehicle on fire in a garage.

this was not an electric vehicle, according to Van der Veen.

https://whatcom-news.com/fire-destroys-garages-at-multifamily-complex-in-blaine_213282/

• Platinum Contributing Member

Electric Semi-Truck Fire In Phoenix Creates Hazmat Emergency

Steven Symes
Fri, June 30, 2023 at 7:00 AM CDT

This is the future of transportation.

96e0b7761e26677dd763c0c83fe1edba

A situation developed in Phoenix, Arizona back on June 23 at the Nikola Corporation building near Sky Harbor Airport when four all-electric semi-trucks caught fire. A reporter from Fox 10 Phoenix was on scene and said it smelled awful, plus you can see in the video footage the smoke was rathe thick. It was termed not only a fire but also a hazmat situation, something that inevitably happens when lithium-ion batteries burn.

Learn how a simple water bottle can start a car fire.

Thanks to thermal runaway, fighting an EV fire like this, especially when the Nikola semi-trucks have such large battery packs, isn’t easy. Firefighters were dousing the trucks with water for a long time but they kept reigniting. One firefighter interviewed said it wasn’t possible to use sand to help extinguish the blaze because of the size of the vehicles. It all looked like quite the mess.

The messaging that’s coming not only from automakers but many corporate media outlets and even federal government agencies is that EVs are a “green” solution to a poisoned environment. But situations like this make it seem like electric vehicles are actually doing the poisoning. Sure, there’s no diesel smoke coming out of exhaust stacks on these trucks, but the acrid smoke from the fire has to be far worse than emissions from regular semis driving long distances.

Lithium-ion battery fires are no joke. As reported by WJXT in Jacksonville, Florida a family lost their home to a fire that was started by a charging golfcart. You can see in the video of the incident, what’s left of the home is in shambles. We’ve seen what electric car fires can do to homes and it’s horrific.

0c90dd6abd6cac8d0109bba04800ed0e

Firefighters took the opportunity in Jacksonville to educate people in the area about the dangers of lithium-ion battery fires. What amazed us was one guy interviewed on camera admitted he didn’t realize how many devices he owns that use them, nor did he understand the risks involved. Sadly, we think this is common.

The post Electric Semi-Truck Fire In Phoenix Creates Hazmat Emergency appeared first on The Auto Wire.

• Like 2

Fuckin gas powered bikes...

The latest city scourge strikes without warning, its helpless victims left to die behind an impenetrable wall of fast-moving flames and thick smoke. New York’s ubiquitous and deadly e-bike batteries have

killed 13 residents

in a rash of raging fires over the last six months, leaving relatives of the dead mourning their losses while calling for answers from city officials. The pain remains fresh for Queens dad Salah Abdulsamed after losing his son and daughter in a horrific April blaze at their home.

Bet the leftover water is slightly less drinkable than a East Palestine mud puddle too.

Wonder where it goes?

https://driving.ca/column/motor-mouth/scary-putting-out-ev-fire-firefighting-battery-electric-vehicle

I now know more about fire engines than I ever thought would be necessary. For instance, did you know fire trucks and fire engines are not the same thing? An engine, as it turns out, is the vehicle that carries and pumps the water; a “truck,” on the other hand carries hardware, emergency gear, and perhaps the ladders required to reach the upper floors of tall buildings, but no water.

Article content

I also know, mainly because I couldn’t believe the numbers that I am going to spring on you, that fire engines generally hold between 500 and 1,500 gallons of water. The norm is about 750 gallons, but let’s be generous — and also avoid some difficult math down the road — and call it an even 1,000.

The reason you’re going to need that long division is that, according to an article by the International Association of Fire and Rescue Services — which quotes Austin Fire Department Division Chief Thayer Smith — it can take as many as 40,000 gallons of water to completely extinguish a roaring Tesla fire. That is — and now you see why I rounded up — equivalent to 40 fire engines. Even the lowest estimate I could find for extinguishing an EV — 8,000 gallons — would challenge any fire department, if some kind of reservoir wasn’t close by.

Edited by Voodoo

2 hours ago, Voodoo said:

Bet the leftover water is slightly less drinkable than a East Palestine mud puddle too.

Wonder where it goes?

https://driving.ca/column/motor-mouth/scary-putting-out-ev-fire-firefighting-battery-electric-vehicle

I now know more about fire engines than I ever thought would be necessary. For instance, did you know fire trucks and fire engines are not the same thing? An engine, as it turns out, is the vehicle that carries and pumps the water; a “truck,” on the other hand carries hardware, emergency gear, and perhaps the ladders required to reach the upper floors of tall buildings, but no water.

Article content

I also know, mainly because I couldn’t believe the numbers that I am going to spring on you, that fire engines generally hold between 500 and 1,500 gallons of water. The norm is about 750 gallons, but let’s be generous — and also avoid some difficult math down the road — and call it an even 1,000.

The reason you’re going to need that long division is that, according to an article by the International Association of Fire and Rescue Services — which quotes Austin Fire Department Division Chief Thayer Smith — it can take as many as 40,000 gallons of water to completely extinguish a roaring Tesla fire. That is — and now you see why I rounded up — equivalent to 40 fire engines. Even the lowest estimate I could find for extinguishing an EV — 8,000 gallons — would challenge any fire department, if some kind of reservoir wasn’t close by.

But only run your dishwasher once a day to save water!!!!!

:lol: