Check your account email address ×

Disney Pulls Plug on $1 Billion Development in Florida

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/18/business/disney-ron-desantis-florida.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare 

A new office complex, and relocation of a division from California, would have created more than 2,000 jobs but was scuttled as the company and Gov. Ron DeSantis continue to feud. 

In March, Disney called Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida “anti-business” for his scorched-earth attempt to tighten oversight of the company’s theme park resort near Orlando. Last month, when Disney sued the governor and his allies for what it called “a targeted campaign of government retaliation,” the company made clear that $17 billion in planned investment in Walt Disney World was on the line. 

“Does the state want us to invest more, employ more people, and pay more taxes, or not?” Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive, said on an earnings-related conference call with analysts last week. 

On Thursday, Mr. Iger and Josh D’Amaro, Disney’s theme park and consumer products chairman, showed that they were not bluffing, pulling the plug on a nearly $1 billion office complex that was scheduled for construction in Orlando. It would have brought more than 2,000 jobs to the region, with $120,000 as the average salary, according to an estimate from the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity

52 minutes ago, Anler said:

Hey Gavin why did they want to leave in the first place?

Because California is an unfriendly place to do business. Unfortunately DeSantis made Florida even less friendly to do business. That took some real doing. Congratulations Gov DeSantis. You one upped Gavin. 

14 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Because California is an unfriendly place to do business. Unfortunately DeSantis made Florida even less friendly to do business. That took some real doing. Congratulations Gov DeSantis. You one upped Gavin. 

Less friendly to Disney. 3 million new residents since COVID. And several Chicago corps moved their headquarters there. Desantis can't be too bad. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Anler said:

Less friendly to Disney. 3 million new residents since COVID. And several Chicago corps moved their headquarters there. Desantis can't be too bad. 

He was bad enough to shag Disney out. I’m surprised that you so easily overlook his role at Abu Ghraib. Or maybe I shouldn’t be? 

• Platinum Contributing Member
37 minutes ago, Anler said:

It's the place most moved to of people moving out of NYS

6 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

He was bad enough to shag Disney out. I’m surprised that you so easily overlook his role at Abu Ghraib. Or maybe I shouldn’t be? 

It's frigging Disney, nobody wants to go there anymore. Is their attendance up or down over the past couple years? He doesn't control where people from all over the world want to go on vacations and attractions they want to view now does he??

Just now, Rigid1 said:

It's frigging Disney, nobody wants to go there anymore. Is their attendance up or down over the past couple years? He doesn't control where people from all over the world want to go on vacations and attractions they want to view now does he??

I really don’t give a shit how well Disney is doing. If you want to know, go research it. It’s obvious to me that no matter what kind of power play DeSantis pulls, GOP’ers will defend it. Which is weird. 

28 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

As far as I know Disney world is still in Orlando. 

12 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I really don’t give a shit how well Disney is doing. If you want to know, go research it. It’s obvious to me that no matter what kind of power play DeSantis pulls, GOP’ers will defend it. Which is weird. 

Based on your Disney obsession it seems you really do give a shit. Why don't you help Disney out, take the family there, you're retired and have grandkids, don't be so selfish..I'm sure you have an extra 8k laying around to take 3-4 people with you and blow in a couple days for the memories..:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rigid1 said:

Based on your Disney obsession it seems you really do give a shit. Why don't you help Disney out, take the family there, you're retired and have grandkids, don't be so selfish..I'm sure you have an extra 8k laying around to take 3-4 people with you and blow in a couple days for the memories..:lol:

I get it. You need to defend DeSantis. Bottom line is this thing will be settled by the courts. And DeSantis is going to look like a fool. Which he is. :) 

Just now, spin_dry said:

Of course they are. They need to stick around so Iger can pound DeSantis’ dick in the dirt. 

Desantis won the last election pretty handily. That means he got a lot of democrat votes. Seems they like him there. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I get it. You need to defend DeSantis. Bottom line is this thing will be settled by the courts. And DeSantis is going to look like a fool. Which he is. :) 

I really don't know much about Desantis and what he does. I live in NY. Nice attempted deflection.. When you packing up the fam and heading out..8k for 4 days ain't bad right?? You're retired, why not go??:news:

13 minutes ago, Anler said:

Desantis won the last election pretty handily. That means he got a lot of democrat votes. Seems they like him there. 

Biden won the last election with 306 electoral votes. A landslide. 

4 hours ago, spin_dry said:

I see you got your marching orders.  

But yeah I can see why you would be so upset .

how dare a political figure make a multi billion buck corporation follow the same laws as every other buisness in the state . 

I mean they are Disney they should not have to play on the same field as bank of America or Amazon or Lockheed Martin or jabil or any other corporation in the state .

Honestly get a grip . 

Let's just say any Trump buisness was not having to deal with  the regulations or zoning laws as the rest of FL companies?

Would it be bad if the government took those benefits away from Trump?

14 hours ago, X2700 said:

Disney not going anywhere!!

Move it to where?

mn?😂

Rather go to universal studios anyways!!!

I'm old enough to remember when their parks in Florida were allowed to open when their parks in California were closed.

Seems like all winter long I know a middle class family is down in Florida at Disney with the kids.  When is the last time you heard someone went to California with their kids?

• Like 2

• Gold Member
20 hours ago, Mainecat said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/18/business/disney-ron-desantis-florida.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare 

A new office complex, and relocation of a division from California, would have created more than 2,000 jobs but was scuttled as the company and Gov. Ron DeSantis continue to feud. 

In March, Disney called Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida “anti-business” for his scorched-earth attempt to tighten oversight of the company’s theme park resort near Orlando. Last month, when Disney sued the governor and his allies for what it called “a targeted campaign of government retaliation,” the company made clear that $17 billion in planned investment in Walt Disney World was on the line. 

“Does the state want us to invest more, employ more people, and pay more taxes, or not?” Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive, said on an earnings-related conference call with analysts last week. 

On Thursday, Mr. Iger and Josh D’Amaro, Disney’s theme park and consumer products chairman, showed that they were not bluffing, pulling the plug on a nearly $1 billion office complex that was scheduled for construction in Orlando. It would have brought more than 2,000 jobs to the region, with $120,000 as the average salary, according to an estimate from the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity

Disney Office buildings ? WGAF. :handjob:

Keep those pencil pushing Libtards in CommieFornia .

Lifelong Florida residents thank Desantis for making Disney pay their fair share in tax.