Check your account email address ×

Willie Is 90

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

One of my favs by him

Great song…I know this is a cover of Townes VanZant but have always liked this duet with Merle.

Non smokers wouldn't get it but @ckf will. I would absolutely LOVE to have a sit and smoke session with old Willie and hear some stories. It would be EPIC!!!

23 minutes ago, HSR said:

Non smokers wouldn't get it but @ckf will. I would absolutely LOVE to have a sit and smoke session with old Willie and hear some stories. It would be EPIC!!!

many stories of folks not able to hang. willie got his own strain, must be rocket fuel

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

many stories of folks not able to hang. willie got his own strain, must be rocket fuel

Ooooo I LOVE a challenge :joint:

18 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

though he may have met his match with ckf and hsr!

I haven't OD'D yet :lol: 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Another one of my favorite Willie stories:

One of the things that I like best about Willie is that he's always followed his own moral compass.  That's why, in 1966, when his Willie Nelson Show package tour rolled across South Texas and Louisiana, he added African American country artist Charley Pride to the bill. Willie didn't care what people thought. He knew talent when he heard it.  At Dewey Groom’s segregated Longhorn Ballroom, in Dallas, “Dewey didn’t want Charley on the bandstand,” Willie later recalled. “So I got up onstage and introduced Charley . . . I laid a big kiss on him, right on the mouth. Then he started singing, and they loved it.” The color barrier had been broken. Later that night, after a raucous guitar picking session in his motel room, Willie said “I wished I would’ve had a camera. Charley Pride and Dewey Groom had both passed out on the same bed.”

This is a photo of Willie and Charley Pride at Soap Creek Saloon in Austin back in 1975. It was taken by the great Scott Newton Photography , who was nice enough to let me post it here. Scott's taken an INCREDIBLE assortment of photos of music stars etc.. who have passed through Austin. You can see them, and purchase them, at his website: https://scottnewtonphotography.com/

Scott's not only a great photographer but a very interesting character with whom to have a conversation!

IMG_1210.thumb.jpeg.9459455161cbe45aa9fb78471696ca44.jpeg

• Like 1

Was it Willy that was basically ignored by Nashville at the start of his career so he went out to Austin Texas and when he gained popularity, Nashville begged him back and he basically told them to stick it up their ass?

So many great songs, I wouldn’t know which one to post.  Never heard a bad Willy song.

• Like 1

Few years ago on family trip to Disney we stopped in Nashville during cmt week we happened to stop at one of the stores down town and charley was signing autographs.

he sat and talked with my family for over half an hour! Just talking about life in general and getting kick out of my daughters!!

girls still remember!!

my youngest in pic.58CF23A5-ADEE-4418-AC1A-B117BBA26C2E.thumb.jpeg.82f473d70b4bad6f4ff9ed9b813318c5.jpeg

• Like 4

To Willie  :bc: 

The Willie and Waylon years were what I grew up on.  My uncle, who's in his mid 80s now, was into ice/asphalt drag racing on sleds for as long as I can remember, and still names his sled "Waylon".  :bc: 

• Like 2