Check your account email address ×

2 years of making my own power

• Gold Member

This is exactly 2 full years of being up and running.  Zero maintenance other then hosing down the panels once during summer 2021

37 mwh’s of electricity.  Enough for at least 130,000 miles or more in a Tesla.  Enough to cover house electric useage including charging EV’s that run 30k miles a year.

IMG_2474.png

Edited by BOHICA
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BOHICA said:

This is exactly 2 full years of being up and running.  Zero maintenance other then hosing down the panels once during summer 2021

37 mwh’s of electricity.  Enough for at least 130,000 miles or more in a Tesla.  Enough to cover house electric useage including charging EV’s that run 30k miles a year.

IMG_2474.png

That's pretty cool , just not feasible for everyone but it's working for you :bc:

19 minutes ago, HSR said:

That's pretty cool , just not feasible for everyone but it's working for you :bc:

I don't think that it would be all that good here as we have a lot of cloudy days living in the mountains. Wind may be a better option for some around here if they have the right location.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

I don't think that it would be all that good here as we have a lot of cloudy days living in the mountains. Wind may be a better option for some around here if they have the right location.

Same here, my friends with solar at cabins need generators to subsidise.

12.7 kwh in January that wouldn't run my house for 6 hrs.  I'm guessing you are tied to the grid which spins your meter backwards but once your usage is less then your producing the utility buys back you power but at a very reduced rate?  What is the total cost of the system?  With ground water heat pump my home can use up 1.8-2 mwh in the winter.  I guess i would have to use my snowmobile if I wanted to go anywhere.

Edited by dsupercat

• Gold Member
57 minutes ago, dsupercat said:

12.7 kwh in January that wouldn't run my house for 6 hrs.  I'm guessing you are tied to the grid which spins your meter backwards but once your usage is less then your producing the utility buys back you power but at a very reduced rate?  What is the total cost of the system?  With ground water heat pump my home can use up 1.8-2 mwh in the winter.  I guess i would have to use my snowmobile if I wanted to go anywhere.

It’s 612 kwh in January…. But yes grid tied which is the cheapest battery system available for home solar.

system was $18k.  So amortized kwh electricity cost is around 48 cents a kwh after exactly 2 years.  Year 4 it should be down to around 24 cents a kwh.  Year 6 should be around 16-17 cents.  Somewhere between year 6-7 I will have paid the system off based on my electric rates

Edited by BOHICA

56 minutes ago, dsupercat said:

The lions club in my town just put up a system 37.5, must be almost the same as the OP.  Right now they are expecting it to cover 1/3rd and the energy company will not buy any back as of right now if they over produce.

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Are you still hooked up to the power grid?

@BOHICA do you still pay for delivery?

Edited by Steve753

• Gold Member
Just now, Steve753 said:

2 hours ago, BOHICA said:

It’s 612 kwh in January…. But yes grid tied which is the cheapest battery system available for home solar.

system was $18k.  So amortized kwh electricity cost is around 48 cents a kwh after exactly 2 years.  Year 4 it should be down to around 24 cents a kwh.  Year 6 should be around 16-17 cents.  Somewhere between year 6-7 I will have paid the system off based on my electric rates

• Gold Member
9 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

$62.52 a yr.

👍  Lots of EV charging in that total as well which results in the lack of gas station charges for fuel.  Especially for the wife who has 30 mile commute daily for the days she works.  Can’t wait to get rid of here PHEV so we don’t have to pay any gas or oil changes for here work and any commuting needs.

15 hours ago, BOHICA said:

IMG_2474.png

Excellent, well done!  :bc:

Neal

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

👍  Lots of EV charging in that total as well which results in the lack of gas station charges for fuel.  Especially for the wife who has 30 mile commute daily for the days she works.  Can’t wait to get rid of here PHEV so we don’t have to pay any gas or oil changes for here work and any commuting needs.

Road tax is coming. You'll lose everything you gained.

What you’re doing is nothing that the average American can reproduce. They don’t have the resources. Most up and coming consumers can’t afford a home, much less all the fancy shit you’re describing. This is simply pie in the sky bullshit for a special few. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

At the moment everything EV is subsidized by the other motorists. It’s the most bizarre creation of bullshit ever concocted by government. Completely unsustainable. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
17 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Not for awhile on federal level….  Federal gas tax is squat really.  Not even a penny a mile for 35 mpg cars.  More likely .5 penny per mile tax on a 35 mpg car is the federal road tax on gas

My state charges $140 extra for EV’s in registration on an annual bases which makes up gas tax loses and equates to about 15,000 miles of gas tax the state would collect on a 35mpg car.  $140 extra I pay in registration is equivalent to road tax paid on 437 gallons of gas.

benefit is I don’t have to get every 2 year emission check which is $25

Edited by BOHICA